Lathe / Milling Machine Combo

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MuleKicker
retired

Lathe / Milling Machine Combo

Post by MuleKicker »

Im looking at possibly adding a 3-n-1 Milling/drilling/lathe machine to my collection. Anyone here own one, or have experience with them? I have an auto shop, and have to admit it would probably be for more of a hobby use than anything. I always wanted to be able to make my own parts. I know there are a few drawbacks with having a combo machine, but space/ budget restrictions prevent me from going any bigger. I am looking at possibly a midas 1220LTD from smithy machine. They run about $2k. I am not an experienced machinist by any means. But I gotta say, it looks like fun. Any thoughts from those with experience?
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
jholmz
Distiller

Re: Lathe / Milling Machine Combo

Post by jholmz »

i dont have one muleKicker but having an auto shop it would probably be usefull to you milling heads or turning rotors if you dont already have a way to do them probably a lot of other uses that just dont come to mind right now
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

I dunno MK, don't know anything about em. But, I do have a combo radial arm saw/ drill press. Its funky man. The drive for the saw goes straight through the housing out to the back for a drill chuck. While sawing, this narley chuck is wanting to grind yer knuckles off behind the saw. While drilling, with the blade flipped sideways, yer starring at the blade spinning above what yer drilling. :shock: it works, but damn, it don't seem safe...

PS, good to see ya around...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
1bottler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 1bottler »

I had a small mill-drill / lathe. I was so much happier when I sold it and bought a small lathe and separate pedestal drill. never figured out how to use the milling bit.
regards
Chris nz, where we don't have to still watching for the feds.~
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

the problem with hobby sized tools is outgrowing it almost immediately. 6x16 milling, 20" between centers is very small. no heads, or axle shafts.
the specks. did not indicate more than 2 bearings in the quill. 3 or more are better for good milling.
stand alone machines will give you better service for the same money and you won't outgrow them as soon as a hobby sized tool. imho.
the tooling is what is most expensive, may as well have good tools to use them in.
writen while 1bottler was posting
be water my friend
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

dont do it, the combo machines dont do anything well except save space, a 9x20 lathe and small mill can be had for close to the same money that will be so much better.
Last edited by Big Stogie on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
che
Novice

Post by che »

Save your money for something bigger. I own a small Bridgeport lathe and a large Bridgeport mill. I bought them used from a friend that owned a gunsmith shop, got about 6 gran invested in them. Problem with the smaller combo machines is they are very very light duty and struggle turning the tooling and will stall out . Take your time and buy a good used piece of equipment. Also where I'm from there is no such thing as an unemployed good machinist. There will always be a demand for them.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Good advice, and I agree with Cobb. When I taught industrial design classes I had both a mill and a lathe as separate machines both CNC. I found the mill was used 80% more than the lathe so if you decide on one figure out what your main uses would be.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

MK nice to see you post, I had begin to believe some husband shot you, or the feds locked you up. I spent many years working as a machinist, and it would be fun to own one of those little machines, but the truth is -- you can't do much with one, every thing you try to machine will have chatter marks on it. The little guys are just not riggid enough to hold metal while you working on it. Even taking lite cuts it will still chatter, and vibrate, you won't have the crate taken out side before you start hating that little piece of crap. Wait and pick up a used heavy duty machine, and you'll thank the old Bohunk in the end.

The Old Bohunk
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Ha bohunk! Been shot at. But still in the game. I hope the feds arent coming for me :problem: ... I will honestly say, guns will probably be about the number 1 thing it would be used. for..... Before Feinstein takes them all away.. :evil: I have a brake lathe, and I dont do cylinder heads. It is cheap enough to send that stuff out. I was kinda wondering about the quality, and useablility. What I have read, some people love them, and some people hate them. No in between. It is just getting to the day where you have to be able to do things for yourself. And a couple machines like that would make the possibilities endless..... Did I mention, I really like guns. :D
-Control Freak-
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Ever heard of a 3d printer??? This is the next sliced bread, lectricity, phone, etc... research it...
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2013/01/18/ ... trol-moot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://defcad.org/can-a-3d-printer-make-guns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by HolyBear on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

Hi MK,

I have the Smithy 1324 Granite machine. I can do a lot of stuff on it. Used one for 10 years an a research lab where it could do most of the work of building therapeutic experimental devices. Bought one when I retired. It's a big improvement over the old model. Variable frequency control motor, bigger milling range. You can have a digital readout on mill and lathe for the cost on one DRO. For a 'stiller, it will probably serve your purposes well. Aluminum, brass, and copper are easy for it to do. But for the money you will spend on the machine, tooling, and maybe installation, you could hire a local machinist to do a lot of work for you. Won't deny that doing it yourself is most of the fun, though.

M
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

Having spent alot of time using quality individual machines I shudder to think about having to use a 3 in 1 lathe, drill, phoney mill thang. They are not rigid at all. Very hard to do precision work with a flexible machine. Every model engineer I know who has had one has gotten rid of it as soon as possible and bought separate machines.

Even separate Chinese tools like Grizzly brand will exceed the flimsy milling set up on a 3 in one machine. I spend probably 75% of my shop time on a mill, a 3 in 1 machine would drive me nuts, small table, small travel, no knee, they aren't mills in my opinion, but a drill head stuck over a lathe bed.

cheers
stilly
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

Yup.

M
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

These are the kind of things I want to hear. Not that I need a lot of machine work done, but when I do, I like to keep what I'm up to to myself..... If ya know what I mean. Like I said, I'm not an experienced machinist. But it's something I could definitely learn, given the time on the machine.. I don't need an industrial setup, but I don't want to be kicking myself for a shitty purchase either. Thanks for the info guys :thumbup:
-Control Freak-
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

Hi MK,

If you want to see how other 3-in1ers are doing, take a look at http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . 3-in-1 isn't necessarily shitty, and learning machining is extremely rewarding.

M
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

I had a couple thoughts on this.

First, don't buy some junk from Harbor Freight. Check out Craigslist, Ebay (search within a certain radius) or your local classifieds and see if you can find vintage machinery from the Golden Age of manufacturing. For $2K, you can get a surprising amount of machinery if you're smart about it.

Second, focus on what you want to make and start with whatever machine is best suited to making it. For instance, if you wanted to make special pipe fittings, flanges, etc., and make stills for sale, you would probably want to start with a good lathe. If you wanted to make, say, custom knives, a mill would probably be a lot more useful.

So start with the machine that's most useful to you. And then buy some other type of machine later when you see that you need it.

Just my $.02