Off Topic Bull

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Off Topic Bull

Post by Jimbo »

wfw52 wrote:Hey there Jimdo, doing good . Havin fun makin Liquior ! Got another 15 gal batch of rice ready to go for some vodka, my son likes the stuff , I just made it to try makin it not a vodka fan. ........ sounds like you made way to much of that red wheat !!! better send some my way save ya from barrelin it !! cut cost even more !!!!! :idea: .... hell dont mention it anything to help a fellow shinner :wink: .................... thanks for the info on the panela , definetly let me know if you find a sorse . If PP stumbles across this he might jump in with a sorse . Where I am from just lucky I can find sweet feed , allthough I did find 3 1/2 gal pals of feed grade molases for $ 14.00 I use on my first attemt at rum , came out to strong on the molases for me even after 2 runs ! next generation was much much better after maken a few ajustments. Will have to check in around this coming apple season have an amazing Idea on a apple press you'll want to see !!

better go gonna get my ass kicked for off topic bull here .......... wfw
haha! Here, we can shit as long as we want here.

My red Wheat is already barreled :shifty: But I'd be happy to trade ya a bottle for something you been brewing up. Be fun to try somebody else's hooch.

What adjustments did you make to the molasses to get it better, water it down with some straight sugar? This Piloncillo stuff I bought is delicious. And not too terribly stong on the molasses flavor. Im guessing it makes great rum, anxious to find a decent source. Hopefully PP will chime in.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
wfw52
Bootlegger

Re: Off Topic Bull

Post by wfw52 »

Heck yes Id be glad to swap with ya great Idea ! be worth it just to see one of your labels :moresarcasm:
I got some apple brandy about 6 months old like to see what you think.
that second generation on the rum went like this , the dunder was realy tasty/flavorfull from the first batch so I used 50% did not add any molases just added 8 Ibs of dark brown suger per 5 gals. My SG was a lot lower= less yield but the hearts turnned out very drinkable first run kept 1/2 gal 120p on oak and spices now. realy amazed in just 1 week its commong along nicley. NOT sure what to do with 1 1/2 gals of the first batch I did oak it heavy (mistake) its so strong on molases if I live long enough maybe ageing will help it out. Anyway how do you want to trade mailing address , not sure I want to post mine here for everyone to read :think: .................. :think:

My liquor storage in a old safe, top shelve all 1/2 gals differant stuff. And my newly modified reflux to a bok/VM darn things 9 ft tall ! getting read to try her out on a vodka run soon as I get my new 1 hp water pump plumbed in . My old pump cant handle 2 condencers. Anyway let me know how you want to make the swap......... cheers.....wfw
Attachments
P1300009 (480x640).jpg
P1300012 (640x480).jpg
Mr.Brown
Swill Maker

Post by Mr.Brown »

cool looking bottles on the top shelf there !
Anything i do or say here is purely hypothetical and for information gathering and sharing purposes only.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Mr.Brown wrote:cool looking bottles on the top shelf there !
+1 Agreed, nice stash wfw!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Here's how my stash looks these days :-D
Stash.JPG
wfw52
Bootlegger

Post by wfw52 »

Geees !! that looks nice .............. well except for them there barrels !!! dont realy fit the decore Jimdo , just send them my way they'd fit my rustic setting much better !! but make sure there ant no liquor in them that be Illegal ya know ! dont want, I mean to say you dont want to upset any one around here !! ........ :ebiggrin:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks. Its accumulating. I think I could keep the neighborhood hammered for a year. Now is just the waiting game while it all ages gracefully.

Check my new post on panela, finally found some and bit the bullet http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1#p7047811
TheSticky1970
Novice

Post by TheSticky1970 »

You guys are my heroes....I hope I have a stash that look half that good one day as what I i'm seeing here. My daughter did buys me a couple 750 bottles that say Dads Special Recipe on them that i have to fill. I can see how this hobby could get expensive. Where are you guys buying your Bottles? Do you prefer to age with sticks/chips or barrels? Are you guys doing any good Rye whiskeys? I could probably ask a dozen questions but I'll stop there for now! :eugeek:
Attachments
IMAG1250.jpg
I believe that every individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases with himself and the fruits of his labor, so far as it in no way interferes with any other men's rights. – Abraham Lincoln
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

thanks, you will. My bottles are old tequilla bottles. I have 10 of em that match. lol. I have 2 barrels, theyre great. But it takes a lot of work to fill them up with 5 gallons of hooch. I also use white oak that I toast/char myself with a propane torch. Cubes/chips also work fine. The trick is not to use too much. it doesnt take much at all or youll overwhelm your drink. Soak them overnight in water first too. Its more than just rinsing them, it has something to do with the water permeating the grain and allowing the alcohol in, or some such shit, read about it once but forgot the exact science behind whats going on.

Rye is on the list, have not done one yet. im thinking 80% rye and 20% rolled barley to warm it up some. The rolled barley has a very smooth warm character. One of my runs was 75% rolled barley 25% malt barley. Its the smoothest of the whiskeys Ive done yet.

Ask away, happy to help.

PS: Those Dads Special Recipe bottles are SWEET!
TheSticky1970
Novice

Post by TheSticky1970 »

That Crown bottle on the stand to the right is 30+ year old bottle that is measured in OZ. It's write up on the back talks about how some of the whiskeys are as old as 30 years in the blend. They sure don't brag about that now. In fact they flat out deny ever having stated that. (but I have proof) One of the reasons that I want to start making my own whiskey. I used to enjoy Crown before it became over popularized. Mow you have to buy the preserve or the reserve if you can find it to get the good stuff.
I believe that every individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases with himself and the fruits of his labor, so far as it in no way interferes with any other men's rights. – Abraham Lincoln