6,000 Gallons of Scotch washed Down The Drain

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

6,000 Gallons of Scotch washed Down The Drain

Post by okie »

This almost made me cry. What a screw up!

Six thousand gallons of high-quality, top-dollar Scotch was accidentally flushed down the drain at a bottling plant, it was reported Thursday.
Workers at the Chivas Brothers in Dumbarton, Scotland, dumped the whisky on accident during a night shift while cleaning equipment, reported The Mirror.
Advertisement

In a statement, Chivas Brothers said that the flushing on Tuesday night is under investigation. “There has been no release of spirit to the River Leven or any other local water course,” it said.
The Chivas Brothers plant employs around 600 workers and produces Ballantine’s, which is the second-largest selling brand of whisky in the world.
“It was like someone turned on a tap and it just ran straight down the plughole,” an insider at the plant told The Sun, describing the incident.
The insider added: “It happened on a night-shift washout—that’s when the equipment is cleaned for a changeover between different products. Instead of draining the water and cleaning solution, they flushed out all the whisky. What’s even more shocking is no one noticed until 11 a.m.”
A spokesman with Scottish Water told the Daily Mail that staff at waste water treatment plants are looking into the problem.
“Discharging large volumes of alcohol into the sewer network can have an adverse impact on waste water treatment processes, particularly during dry, cold weather,” a statement from the agency reads. “We are continuing to closely monitor our Dumbarton waste water treatment works to ensure treatment has not been compromised.”
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 6,000 Gallons of Scotch washed Down The Drain

Post by Fastill »

Just another reason to overcharge for that overpriced crap!! Just wait for the price increase... Almost as bad as Makers diluteing their bourban because of a shortage...
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

lmfao somebodys getting canned for that one, wonder how many times this actually happens that we dont hear about in distilleries around the world
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

dido Jimholmz. If they employed 600 before the tragedy I bet they employee only 599 now.
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

My Father-in-law gave me a 1.75? bottle of Chivas. I took it and re distilled it.
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Oh the horror, the horror.....
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

i bet the insurance co checkin down stream real good.

so im tole
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Dumb art on whisky makin'.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.