car stuff

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

blind drunk
retired

car stuff

Post by blind drunk »

Wonder if someone could help. I did the Google thing, but still not clear on what this all means.

We took a 2008 Rav4 for test drive and the oil light flickered about 6 times in the the span of 10 minutes. The flicker was less than a second long and only I noticed it, not my wife. I checked the oil AFTER the drive and all was fine. No other warning lights flickered or came on during the drive. Seems like it could be a big deal, any and all opinions are welcomed and appreciated. We're a little desperate as her car in in the shop with a blown seal because the last mechanic did the timing belt wrong. But we don't want to act desperate. Did I mention that I hate cars :x
I do all my own stunts
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: car stuff

Post by Fastill »

The only way to be absolutly sure it to hook up a mechanical gage and drive it to see if it is oil pressure or a faulty gage, sending unit or wiring causing the problem.
See lots of dash problems on the Chevys causing effed up readings but not to sure on the Yotas. If it is oil pressure, my guess is that it is major, not an easy fix. I don't see lots of Toy's but don't know of any common oil pressure problems due to engine issues..

Edit to say look at the sending unit to see if it has oil leaking out of it, I have seen leaking sending units that give false readings.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

I have an 05 TB. I know on mine I have an oil pressure gauge. It is more of a generic sensor that just sends an electric signal to the PCM, though. Doesn't really actually measure anything. It could just possibly be a bad pressure switch. Kinda like an engine coolant temperature sensor. The vehicle oil pump is probably working fine. That pressure sensor is probably just going bad. I'd say try asking around on a forum for that vehicle, if one exists. This might be a common problem.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Loose wire or a bad pressure sending unit, most likely. If you can, mention it to the dealer/owner, and have it taken to a shop and checked. If it happens that often, it should be noticed by a tech, and with TMDE, they should be able to figure out if it's real or an anomaly.
JeremyC
Novice

Post by JeremyC »

I've bought a few cars with weird problems like that. Just make sure the dealer puts it in writing that they will fix it.
buddha52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by buddha52 »

I have seen quite abit of strange stuff on the cars that require a 0-20 weight oil.When the wrong weight is used. May be wrong oil. Just a guess :thumbup:
" HILLBILLY PROUD"
C. Morrison
Novice

Post by C. Morrison »

Sludged up oil pump pickup and screen , due to lack of maintenance can starve the engine of oil,even if full. Beware.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Thanks all. Got me thinking.
I do all my own stunts
ohyeahyeah
Swill Maker

Post by ohyeahyeah »

Toyotas use just regular 5w30. It could be an electrical issue. If not, low oil pressure usually means worn out bearings.
new moon
Novice

Post by new moon »

oil passages could be blocked with crude or could be wire from sending unit grounding out or if its wet out could be getting splashed with water but with as many used cars in the world id be looking at others an let this one slide,..bad oiling issues most time is catastrophic engian failure waiting to happen!!
wine is fine,...but likker is quicker!!
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

How many miles are on it. Like someone else said could be the sending unit is plugged or going bad l would have them replace it and then drive again. If bearings are going bad pressure will drop as engine gets warmer. I have seen people take the thermostat out of a vehicle so that it takes longer to warm up and show that the engine needs rebuilt
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
Roundyround
Swill Maker

Post by Roundyround »

In my opinion, an oil light is nothing to be unsure about. could be minor, could be major. I wouldn't purchase until I knew for sure. Simaliar to dating women... there are many to choose from, why start with an obvious problem?
I'm going to try a renewable grain based lifestyle. Beer and whiskey count don't they?
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

Roundyround wrote:Simaliar to dating women... there are many to choose from, why start with an obvious problem?
They all have problems. The trick is finding one with problems you can put up with.
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Simaliar to dating women... there are many to choose from, why start with an obvious problem?
'Cause where I live there are more woman to choose from than there are cars, that's why :wink:
I do all my own stunts
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

One other thing. When it comes to problems cars are easier to fix that women.

DD