MMA fans

Moderator: Site Moderator

noobshine
Swill Maker

MMA fans

Post by noobshine »

Any MMA fans out there? whos your favorite fighter?

I'm going with Vitor Belfort. in 97 the kid was way ahead of his time. one of the 1st truly multidimensional fighters. World class grappler but you never saw him use it for the 1st 3 yrs cuz he was too busy knocking people the Eff out.
This is kind of embarrassing but sometimes I like to smell my own backset
watoom
Novice

Re: MMA fans

Post by watoom »

There have been so many over the years... When I first got into MMA my favs was Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie, their fights in the early UFC were inspirational to me as young boy early in my martial arts career... These days I'm a big fan of Junior (Dos Santos). The talent coming through in the younger fighters these days is incredible though, it is a very exciting time for fans of MMA...
noobshine
Swill Maker

Post by noobshine »

you trained? any discipline in particular? I trained with an mma team in SC since 2008 til I tore my acl last yr. I never fought in an actual event but trained with a bunch who did and did a few NAGA tournaments. I like Dos Santos too. it killed me seeing him get bloodied up like that by cain a few months ago. but then again... it was nice seeing cain regain what he lost. he was a frikin lion in that fight.
5inned
Novice

Post by 5inned »

:thumbup: Roy "Big Country" Nelson
watoom
Novice

Post by watoom »

Yeah I don't mind seeing Velasquez as champ ever since he rolled Lesner for the title... It was tough who to go for in the Junior vs Hunt fight the other day only cause Hunt fights out of Australia (aussie here) but he def showed he should be first in line for a title rematch... on a side note damn hunt can take a punch hey!

Yeah I trained Karate for around 12 years then have done some training in silat, kickboxing, grappling but not alot... BJJ will be my next though...

I used to think Big Country was ok but ever since seeing him on The Ultimate Fighter my opinion changed, it seemed like he didn't really want to be there or was there just for the money so although I respect his abilities I think he is a tool personally lol
5inned
Novice

Post by 5inned »

watoom wrote:Yeah I don't mind seeing Velasquez as champ ever since he rolled Lesner for the title... It was tough who to go for in the Junior vs Hunt fight the other day only cause Hunt fights out of Australia (aussie here) but he def showed he should be first in line for a title rematch... on a side note damn hunt can take a punch hey!

Yeah I trained Karate for around 12 years then have done some training in silat, kickboxing, grappling but not alot... BJJ will be my next though...

I used to think Big Country was ok but ever since seeing him on The Ultimate Fighter my opinion changed, it seemed like he didn't really want to be there or was there just for the money so although I respect his abilities I think he is a tool personally lol
:) Ya Mr Nelson marches to the beat of his own drummer that's for sure, Actually my favorite fighter is GSP, I have the UFC Boxset of UFC 1 through 8...........crazy stuff back then :esurprised: I'm a huge MMA fan(watching not participating) I did box a little when I was in my teens and early 20's...

Do Santos and Velasquez are both real decent human beings; most fighters are. But as we all know there are acceptions(Anderson Silva for one) :thumbdown:
watoom
Novice

Post by watoom »

5inned wrote: :) Ya Mr Nelson marches to the beat of his own drummer that's for sure, Actually my favorite fighter is GSP, I have the UFC Boxset of UFC 1 through 8...........crazy stuff back then :esurprised: I'm a huge MMA fan(watching not participating) I did box a little when I was in my teens and early 20's...

Do Santos and Velasquez are both real decent human beings; most fighters are. But as we all know there are acceptions(Anderson Silva for one) :thumbdown:
How could I forget about GSP?? another amazing athlete
noobshine
Swill Maker

Post by noobshine »

yea Wat big country might be a dick. and his jokes celebrating his fatness might be getting old, but have you ever seen a guy who looks THAT out of shape fight like that? I hated his fights on the show, I thought he played it too safe. just going for the W. but I think hes matured a lot as a fighter. his fights are exciting now. I'da never thought hed turn into a knockout artist. I figured hed rise through the ranks as a lay and pray guy.
5inned
Novice

Post by 5inned »

noobshine wrote:yea Wat big country might be a dick. and his jokes celebrating his fatness might be getting old, but have you ever seen a guy who looks THAT out of shape fight like that? I hated his fights on the show, I thought he played it too safe. just going for the W. but I think hes matured a lot as a fighter. his fights are exciting now. I'da never thought hed turn into a knockout artist. I figured hed rise through the ranks as a lay and pray guy.
Yessir a grappler at the core, but he learnt how to strike with devastating success :crazy: As far as big country being a dick, I never really took him that way, just differant :wink: gotta luv the belly rub though!!! :clap:

stillin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillin »

Always liked watching BJ Penn. From no training to BJJ world champion in 5 years and the first non Brazilian to ever win that title. That's something to brag about. Also Anderson Silva, I think he'll retire as the champion. I don't see anyone as of now I would consider any kind of a threat to him, but everbody is one punch away from being the champion so who knows.
"If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough"--My dad
noobshine
Swill Maker

Post by noobshine »

Penn was a beast. I dont know how he got so far behind in the pack at such a young age. first time i saw him fight was his 11 sec KO over Caol Uno. ever see his judo matches he won as a white belt?