The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: The liar's bench

Post by ga flatwoods »

Truckinbutch wrote:Is a true story in most respects .
If you be that big hatted sumbitch that whopped me with the stick , we still got sompin to talk about .
you going to apologize for making him have to do that to you are ya? You know damn well he was right in that you were thinking that and probably caused a tighter bond with yur buddy than a probable rowe from you laughing at him. Yep, the way I see it, that big hatted sombitch did you a favor my friend! Sounds like it may be time for a reminder whop like Gpa used to give!
Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well boys, have a slug of this and check this shit out...
Left Friday and was passed twice by a pick up with a big double anarondak chair in the back. About 2 hr's in to the trip I see a chair in the middle of the 4 lane and the black truck sitting on the side of the road. It's at the top of a hill and I'm flat on the floor at about 50mph so it took 30 seconds or more to reach it. Still, nobody has got out of the truck??? Anyway, just as I'm reaching it a woman goes by texting at about 65 and kafreaking boom there's lumber flying everywhere. Van slides around and she gets stopped, then takes off like a rabbit! I just shook my head and thought "man people are dumb, hope that isn't a precursor to the weekend..."

Well..somehow moving 1 1/2 hr's farther from the track turns it from a 4hr trip to a 7hr trip, but I digress. We're 2 miles from the ferry and a bike goes by me like a bullet then splits the two vehicles in front of me. Wow, what a dumbass I thought. Somebody else must of thought so too as he clipped the next pair he tried to get between and did the pinball thing between the two cars and laid the bike down...in front of the cops who were watching all this with a radar gun on! Lol!

Get to the track, dragster's working great, the pit bike starts having carb issues. Worked on it for a bit but it's pooched, I need compressed air to blow it out right. Slap it back together and tow the dragster with the choke full on, then blow the chain off the pit bike! AARRRGGG! At least the dragster is working good all weekend. Had some time to grease the bus, found a little bit of play in the steering box so I snugged up the sector shaft a quarter turn...everything's good though.

Head out Sunday afternoon, got through the first town and...crunch, crunch...what the hell was that?? Squeek, squeak, CRUNCH, CRUNCH...! Sounds like a wheel bearing! NOOOOOOO!!! Pull off and pull the cap off of the front right hub and bits of the cage and some rollers fall out on the ground! Holy crap, middle of nowhere on an island on a Sunday afternoon and I have to be at work tomorrow. Packed some grease in in and drove in 2nd gear back towards the town, crossed a bridge and CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH SCREEEEEEEE. Man that was the last of the rollers, if I go much more I'll weld the inner race to the spindle and that will be stupid expensive. Pulled offthe road, pulled out the mountain bike and my kids backpack and started biking 5 km's to the only store open, Canadian Tire. Of course they don't have a bearing, but picked up a 20ton jack on sale and another bucket of wheel bearing grease. Bike the 5km's or so back to the bus and...tow truck is hooked up to it and there's cops there! CRAP!!!
Won't let me do the work there so I get towed off the highway to a side street, jack it up and pack it full of grease and proceed to the tow trucks yard about another mile away. Park for the night, jack it up and strip it all off. Borrowed the angle grinder and cutting wheel to cut the inner race which is welded to the spindle. use 80 grit sandpaper and a file to smooth the spindle down and wait for morning when everythings open. Called the boss, ain't gonna be in.

7am Monday morning bike up the hill to a Parts for Trucks...nope they don't have it. He phones 4 other local places before we find a set...5 km's the other direction. Bike back past the bus and 5 more km's. (still with no helmet, lucky the cops didn't give me a ticket the day before)
Get it cleaned up, bearing packed, everything back together and borrowed a socket to adjust the wheel bearings from an equipment repair place down the road. On the road by 9:30am.

Get half way home and come across an accident blocking everything..45 minutes added.
Come across construction work...added 1 hr
Come across more construction work...add another 30 minutes.

Home by 7pm...went and had a cold shower as it was in the 90's all weekend with a humidity of around 50% (WAY hot for around here!)

What did I learn?
NEVER GO RACING WITHOUT ALCOHOL AS EVERYTHING GOES WRONG!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Did somebody call me
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Omnia mea mecum porto
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSLSI2XMVII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
That be me in my younger days .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

thecroweater wrote:
:lolno:

God I loved listening to him growing up!
Thanks Croweater!

I had to share this and here seemed to be the most appropriate place.

Early today, I was out running around and had to stop near the ABC store - in my state, they still have a monopoly but that's another story.
I like to go in occasionally and see what's there, pricing, and also how the distiller's brand & merchandise their stuff. Especially now that there's a bunch of "moonshine" and white dog.

No one in there but two young female clerks. After looking for a while, I was looking behind their counters at loose miniatures to see if I wanted a taste of something. I ended up with a miniature of Larceny ($2.49) & Cane Run rum ($ .99). The rum had a big red 12 on the label making one think it's been aged that long. (Number 12 Blend)

Now, not to offend anyone. I'm an old DEEP South white guy (short beard to prove it. Both clerks were young black women. (It's important to set the scene)

As I was looking, a young (40ish) blonde lady has walked in. She looks at one of the clerks near me and says, "Can you help me please? I left my glasses in the car and I need to buy some Vodka. I don't know anything about it."

They are looking, she says "I'm having a party and I need to make some punch. I don't know anything about it and I was just going to use some vodka."
I don't know why, but I said, "Is it a big party? You need a lot of punch?"
"Well, it's for about 40 people."
I replied,"Well you should just buy some Everclear."

Both clerks looked at me and grinned.

Blonde asked, "Oh, is that Vodka?"

Clerk 1, "Oh yes, Everclear is Vodka."
Clerk 2, "Yes, MA'AM! Everclear IS Vodka"

Blonde, " Well, I don't know anything about it. Would that be good?"
Me: "Well, now it's so it'll go a long way. This isn't a Sunday School party is it?"

Clerks smiles get even bigger.

Blonde: "Oh no. I just have to make some punch and I saw a recipe for Hawaiian Punch & Vodka"

Me: "Well if it's not for Church that would be the way to go. Everclear but LOTS of Hawaiian Punch. Maybe some fruit"

Clerk 1: " Oh yes ma'am. That's a GOOD idea! Put some fruit in there."

Blonde: "OH GOOD!" I can put some oranges in there."

Three of look at each other. Smiles are gone and we simultaneously shake our head. Just a little."

Me: "Oh no. I don't think oranges with Hawaiian Punch."
Clerk 2: "Naw, I don't think I'd put oranges in there either. Maybe pineapple."

Me: "Oh yes. Absolutely! Just cut up some pineapple chunks in there."
Blonde: "Oh my! I already have a pineapple I was going to carve as a decoration! That's a GOOD idea!"

Me: "Yes ma'am. You cut up some pinepple chunks and let them sit in that punch for a few days. Those will be GREAT to eat!"
Blonde" "Oh wonderful. Thank you so much"

Clerk 2 and I then turned to getting my miniatures while Blonde and Clerk 1 finish their business.

I turn around and Blonde has left. I asked Clerk 2 if she got the Everclear.
"Oh yeah! She got a half gallon"

Me, laughing, " That's gonna be one hell of a party if she doesn't know what she's doing!"

Clerks, busting a gut and cackling, " You got that right! I'm sorry we can't pay commissions. You sure earned one for THAT!"

Me laughing as I walk out. " Y'all have a GREAT day. I'll be laughing my ass off all day about that!
:lol:

I can see it now.....
Attachments
Aunt_Bee_got_gassed.jpg
Aunt_Bee_got_gassed.jpg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Kinda quiet around here this evening . That's alright .Quiet kind of suits my mood this evening . Brought along a half gallon of pretty damn good AG white dog .
Help yourselves if you're in the mood .
I've told y'all a bit about my Daddy over the years . Whipcord tough and still drinkin a half gallon of whiskey a week heading toward his 90th birthday . He was 22 days short of that this mornin .
Went to the barn and scale house to supervise the weighing and loading of this year's feeder calf crop this morning . Had a grin from ear to ear over the weights and quality of the calves . Truck and trailer pulled out and he went back to the house .
Sat down on his chair at the kitchen table and just up and fucking died . Didn't even fall out of his chair , he passed so easy ................
It was odd to sit across the table knowing that I would never get to talk to him again .
Well , HELL! Drink up and celebrate the life of a good man gone .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

That's a tremendous loss, Butch, sorry to hear it.
It comes for all of us, even the tough ones.

I'll pour one right now and raise it up.
Take care my friend.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

So sorry to hear this Butch! Never a real good day to lose one's daddy. Glad you got to have so many precious years with him. Mine died at 55 years old. A toast to your dad my friend! Your dad would appreciate your silent tribute.
Ga Flatwoods

I decided to add this via edit from a message I had on my phone and responded to this morning:

Butch I did not see this until this morning. I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. Seems when a dad goes that he leaves a hole in your heart that no matter what you try to fill it with, it will not fill remaining void. Time relocates the hole from in front of your next step, off to the side, and eventually behind you. It only appears smaller because of point of view. Should we backtrack to gaze upon it later it is just as big yet sometimes seemingly smaller and sometimes to have grown. Just be wary to not fall into it least it bring you into the trenches with it. Walk softly in these days to come my friend. From the obituary it would appear that he left a large family and all will feel his loss to varying degrees. Be supportive of one another as he would have wanted. To have lived a full life and died happy is an honorable thing. Be comforted knowing that you were a part of that fullness!
Love and sympathy
GA Flatwoods
Last edited by ga flatwoods on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Ole truckers never die they just get a new Peterbilt.

Cheers to your Pa! Obviously a hell of a man to have put up with you all these years.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Sorry to hear Butch, remember meeting your dad last year at the rendezvous, was a good man. Lost mine when I was 11.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks , folks . Few are going to match the mark he set . The simple act of checking out without falling off the chair is a hard act to follow .
Gonna be hard for me to sleep tonight .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

My Granddad went the same sitting at a table with his boots on. Friends around didn't even know he was gone at first til he wouldn't answer if he wanted another beer.
Sorry for your loss, he came across as a Gentleman to me, glad to have had the privilege to have a drink with him.
Like us all , may he get to Paradise before the devil knows his travel plans, prayers sent to you and your lovely wife .
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Very sorry for your loss.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

thecroweater wrote:My Granddad went the same sitting at a table with his boots on. Friends around didn't even know he was gone at first til he wouldn't answer if he wanted another beer.
Sorry for your loss, he came across as a Gentleman to me, glad to have had the privilege to have a drink with him.
Like us all , may he get to Paradise before the devil knows his travel plans, prayers sent to you and your lovely wife .
He asked me a number of times in the last year if I was still hearing from 'that funny talkin feller ' that had the funny tastin whiskey (your Bundaberg) .
You and I find so many parallels in our lives .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Tater wrote:Very sorry for your loss.
Tater , I put a value on that . Thank you , Sir .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

My deepest condolences TB, I'll have a pour tonight in remembrance of him. (I wish I had the honor)
Also a prayer sent for your family,

Shine0n
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

I made an edit. See above^^^
Flatwoods
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm sorry to hear that TB :(
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

This is labeled as post #5,000. One of the best discussions here. Thanks for inviting us all to pull up a chair, pop a cork and pass around a bottle here from time to time. Sure has been a bunch of bull crap spread round here and the area is rich from it. What a blast it has been so far. I look forward to seeing if anyone has posted here every time I come back to the site.
Proud to have had the opportunity to post both herein and #5,000. Thanks Butch.

Ga Flatwoods
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

My friend , you deserve #5,000 . Who knew when I started this thread that it would grow such long legs and also develop a novella that got equally long legged .
Have a pull off that jug I left here last night if that damned Janitor didn't steal it .
If that koolaid swillin bastid did swipe it ; we gonna give the Monkey a contract on his ass .
Things is stable here . Dying was so popular here this week that Daddy's turn don't come up until Friday and Saturday to get buried . Be ok . takes that long for some of the family to get here .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I want to thank all my HD friends for their support with the recent loss of my Father . You folks are extended family and mean a lot to me .
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Truckinbutch wrote:Kinda quiet around here this evening . That's alright .Quiet kind of suits my mood this evening
Sat down on his chair at the kitchen table and just up and fucking died . Didn't even fall out of his chair , he passed so easy ................
It was odd to sit across the table knowing that I would never get to talk to him again .
Condolences my friend.
A little irony to chase the whiskey.
Back when I was 5, my Granddaddy took me fishin one day. Next day he came in from the field, sat down in his rocking chair and ... that was it.
All I knew was he was gone and I had to stay at the neighbors while everyone in town went to Church. Even being only 5, I still miss him.

This past weekend, my Mother passed away in her LATE 90's. I've been caring for her for a few years and Hospice saved my life and hers the last few months.
She had one helluva full life; sounds like your father did too.

A lot of grieving folks, me just a little. For all of us here, the sadness is about US.
My Mom is with her Father and Mother, and with her true love, my Daddy.
It was the best day of her life.
In Celebration of Their Lives,
Cheers My Friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sEv6RaHz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bamaberry wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Kinda quiet around here this evening . That's alright .Quiet kind of suits my mood this evening
Condolences my friend.
A little irony to chase the whiskey.
Back when I was 5, my Granddaddy took me fishin one day. Next day he came in from the field, sat down in his rocking chair and ... that was it.
All I knew was he was gone and I had to stay at the neighbors while everyone in town went to Church. Even being only 5, I still miss him.

This past weekend, my Mother passed away in her LATE 90's. I've been caring for her for a few years and Hospice saved my life and hers the last few months.
She had one helluva full life; sounds like your father did too.

A lot of grieving folks, me just a little. For all of us here, the sadness is about US.
My Mom is with her Father and Mother, and with her true love, my Daddy.
It was the best day of her life.
In Celebration of Their Lives,
Cheers My Friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sEv6RaHz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Well put ,my friend . I agree with you .
I'm not mourning as much as I am celebrating a man whose life was well spent and ended in a manner he would have approved of . He beat the hell out of lingering for several years in a nursing home .
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Gosh TB. that's tough. Hoping you had a great conversation with him before he passed, and sorry for you loss.
Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BoomTown wrote:Gosh TB. that's tough. Hoping you had a great conversation with him before he passed, and sorry for you loss.
Boom
Thanks , Boom . Coaxed him out for a farm tour ridin in my SxS a few days back . Comfortable ride to get up close and personal with his livestock as opposed to viewing from a pickup . Picked him some peaches from the first crop of one of my trees . Shared a drink with him . Good day .
Oddly enough , I found out today that he finished his last jug the night before he passed .
All that was left was the 2 drinks in a backup jug he kept hidden from company . He had friends that would come visit and stay until a fresh jug was empty .
I expect that my nephew is going to assume possession of the house . His intent is to place that hideout jug on the shelf in the kitchen and hold it in reserve in case 'Pap'
stops by for another snort .
All in all ; we are all good with this next chapter in our lives .
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Damn Butch, my condolences on your loss. I'll lift one tonight to honor the life of a good man I had the pleasure of meeting, if only once.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

DSM Loki wrote:Damn Butch, my condolences on your loss. I'll lift one tonight to honor the life of a good man I had the pleasure of meeting, if only once.
Thanks . He was fit to know . We'll hoist one in honor of him at the party .
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Haven't been around much, figured I would drop in and say hello. First thing I see is very sad news. Terribly sorry for your loss, TB. Prayers to you and your family.

As for me and my rarity around here lately, picked up a new job. I'm getting older, and while my job paid very well, had to look to the future. Still have my foot in the door at my old job, only one day a week though. It's more of a courtesy to my employer since some there aren't very reliable. My new job is pretty much a regular 9-5'er (but shiftwork, week of midnights, week of evenings, week of days). Benefits kick in after 6 months of work (dental, drug plan, etc and they are VERY good) which I never had before. Also allows me to finally be able to take holidays and spend some time with the family (it's been almost 20 years since I took a holiday other than the 2 weeks my job used to close at Christmas, and that being only for the last 5 or so years). Sure is a nice change though. Done work on day shift at 3pm and that means I get to see the sun for awhile and actually spend time with kids.

So between the new job and having time to do things, I haven't been on here. Enjoying summer, doing some stillin, working on projects. But sure do miss you all!

Once again, sorry for your loss, TB. I'll raise one as well.