The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: The liar's bench

Post by Truckinbutch »

Are you talking about knife dropping ? Where you might lose your favorite Barlow or Tree Brand to a rusted , dull piece of crap if you weren't wary enough ?
We never been that good of friends to prank each other like that up to now .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Dunno about pocket knife but I’ll wager a butcher knife in a hog carvin contest
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:54 pm Dunno about pocket knife but I’ll wager a butcher knife in a hog carvin contest
It's a southern culture thing , Jed . Works well on a Liar's Bench if you understand the nuances . Very similar to Liar's Poker . Have a lot of knives in your pocket if you choose to play .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hambone wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:01 pm Will there be pocketknife trading? That was big at the liar's bench at the barbershop when I was a kid...
You are going to have to explain the rules of this to some of our more northern friends . They think it is just a swap meet .
I yield The Bench to you to explain this fine southern tradition .
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

All the old timers would just swap knives. I never got the point really, must've been the same dozen knives or so going back and forth. But they always seemed impressed with the horse trading. A knife they'd unloaded a couple weeks before would make them awfully proud to receive in trade....

Of course they would slip out the back to "check the edge", but would come back happy. May have been some knife dropping...I expect there was sippin' going on...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

being one of those northern friends my first two reads of this knife dropping and packet knife trading

posts had me believing you were referring to mumblety-peg. thanks for setting me right.

yep I still got all my toes, wish I could say the same for fingers
be water my friend
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

We young uns would play "guts"...where you'd throw your knife between your buddy's feet, and they'd move a foot to the knife and repeat the favor. Gotta few bleeding toes from that one.

Is that "knife dropping, TB?

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hambone wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:04 pm We young uns would play "guts"...where you'd throw your knife between your buddy's feet, and they'd move a foot to the knife and repeat the favor. Gotta few bleeding toes from that one.

Is that "knife dropping, TB?
Actually ; no .
Knife dropping was more of a 'Liar's Poker 'game :"Does the knife in your hand have blades?"
"Yes."(No mention of how broken , rusty , or dull those blades might be .) It was a bluff game .
Guts , or Stretch , was a game of skill and nerve that involved throwing knives at opponent's feet .End game was to stretch opponent's feet so wide that he could no longer balance and fell over .
Mumblty peg involved driving a peg into the ground with pocket knife blows . Loser had to pull the peg with his teeth ; Thus , "Mumbling The Peg".
Whittling on those benches involved shaving paper thin curls from a stick with no other artistry in mind . The guys that weren't involved in telling a whopper could often be seen stropping their favorite whittlin knife on the leather of their boot while waiting their turn to tell a lie .
Never knew one of them fellers to have a dull knife that they weren't saving to trade .
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

"Guts" you'd move feet close together with each throw (hence the bloodied toe). If you didn't have the guts to throw in the narrow space, or if you didn't have the guts to be thrown at, you lose.

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Celebrating a bit tonight and left a jug under the bench for anyone that stops by .
Our son had brain surgery 2 days ago to correct a seizure disorder that he has suffered with since 1992 when one of his cousins crushed his skull with a 16# rock .
Doctors think that he will be seizure and meds free within the year and be able to drive and resume a normal life .
That's going to be wonderful for all of us and , most especially , for his 10 yr old daughter and 5 yr old son that have both found him seizing and watched him being loaded into a helicopter when we nearly lost him several times .
GOD is great and life is good .
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Truckinbutch wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm Celebrating a bit tonight and left a jug under the bench for anyone that stops by .
TB Ain’t no words, man. All prayers with you for a solid recovery. God be with you all.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Yonder wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:47 pm
Truckinbutch wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm Celebrating a bit tonight and left a jug under the bench for anyone that stops by .
TB Ain’t no words, man. All prayers with you for a solid recovery. God be with you all.
Thanks for that , my friend .
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Best wishes TB

HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

Wishing y’all the best!
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Hardest thing in the world is watching your kids go through something like that . I will be sending good thoughts of hope your way.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Our son had brain surgery 2 days ago to correct a seizure disorder that he has suffered with since 1992 when one of his cousins crushed his skull with a 16# rock .
Doctors think that he will be seizure and meds free within the year and be able to drive and resume a normal life .
That's going to be wonderful for all of us and , most especially , for his 10 yr old daughter and 5 yr old son that have both found him seizing and watched him being loaded into a helicopter when we nearly lost him several times .
GOD is great and life is good .
Fingers crossed for him and you at our house. Hoping for the best.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks for the good wishes . So far , so good . He's sleeping in my living room as I type . We are keeping him here for a couple of weeks 6 miles from the hospital instead of 100 where he lives .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Son is doing good , so far . Life is good .
Been wondering ; any of y'all got tied up in a late night CB conversation while traveling that lead to a roadside meeting ?
I had a conversation with a gal for about 2 hours in southern New New Mexico before her headlights even got in my mirrors . More we talked , the better she sounded . One thing lead to another and we agreed to pull off on the side of the road .....
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Glad to hear all is good. I bet he has a good scar, probably looks like something out of a slasher movie. I know that I did when they took the top of my head off to remove a 250CC tumor. Got to wear hair different now. Praying for full recovery.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:10 am Glad to hear all is good. I bet he has a good scar, probably looks like something out of a slasher movie. I know that I did when they took the top of my head off to remove a 250CC tumor. Got to wear hair different now. Praying for full recovery.
Actually , pretty minimal . Few staples where they attached the halo and a single hole through the skull about the size of a 16d nail where the laser went in . Should be no lasting cosmetic effects . They were just removing scar tissue from the original injury .
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Glad to hear he's making out so well TB. Hard to see your kid in pain or with any issues.

Praying for him.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Truckinbutch wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:55 pm Son is doing good , so far . Life is good .
Been wondering ; any of y'all got tied up in a late night CB conversation while traveling that lead to a roadside meeting ?
I had a conversation with a gal for about 2 hours in southern New New Mexico before her headlights even got in my mirrors . More we talked , the better she sounded . One thing lead to another and we agreed to pull off on the side of the road .....
Back in 78 or so when cb's were all the rage, got on to a couple of conversations with females and one was really interested in meeting us. (us being me and my two buddies) She invited us to her house to "meet and maybe have a drink, see what happens with the four of us"
Well, my buddy driving was 18 and we were younger and very naïve. We drove into town and found the place and knocked on the door. She welcomed us in and tried to feed us beer and after some pregnant silence and small talk about cb's and how far we could reach, who was using a linear etc it got all quiet and akward. My buddy said, well, umm, it was nice meeting you and we took off. We almost died in the car laughing, she was some old lady of 40 or so that looked really rough. I look back now and say it could of been fun but at that age we turned our backs to each other when we pee'd in the woods, couldn't imagine actually seeing a buddy's junk at that age! lol.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Women like that are like riding mopeds. It’s actually pretty fun, but you sure wouldn’t want your friends to see you doing it....

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Got me a grinder comin. It not as nice as this one but same model. Has full set of screens and cob crusher. Cattle n hogs gonna eat good long as got enef power to run it
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:07 pm Got me a grinder comin. It not as nice as this one but same model. Has full set of screens and cob crusher. Cattle n hogs gonna eat good long as got enef power to run it
Sweet . Had a similar one that would do cob , meal . or flour . Depended on screen .
A 8N ford would run that kind of grinder as long as you didn't try to overload it .
I had a MH 44-6 on ours .
Look for a rear mount belt drive for a Ford or Massey and I'll show you how to convert it to 3 point hitch for any tractor .
I like it that you keep presenting me challenges .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

goinbroke2 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:22 am Glad to hear he's making out so well TB. Hard to see your kid in pain or with any issues.

Praying for him.
Thank you , Brother . He's had a few issues that were minor . Next Dr visit is Tuesday .
He's sleeping on the couch behind me as I type .
It's so great that I have him here during recovery .
I take being a Dad so seriously .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Truckinbutch wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:55 pm Son is doing good , so far . Life is good .
I should have taken a clue when I saw that Rambler station wagon leaning up hill on a ditch sloped New Mexico road berm .
But , I had committed to stop . Gotta be a man and honor commitments ; right ?
Well , I walked back there and climbed into that Rambler station wagon to meet a three stool woman who wanted to discuss having sex .
I asked her how she felt about oral sex and she giggled and wiggled into a provocative position and , all spradledly out said ,"There you are , 'Big Boy' , "Go for it "!
Hmmmm .... I'm here to tell ya that there are times when it's difficult to be a man ........
This is a Public Service Warning for all of you sailing the concrete seas in your 18 Wheelers .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

jedneck wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:07 pm Got me a grinder comin. It not as nice as this one but same model. Has full set of screens and cob crusher. Cattle n hogs gonna eat good long as got enef power to run it
Uncle had one about like that for pig tucker. It was belt ran like that of a McCormick International AW7. Would be way overkill for my interests but they did have a smaller Sunshine brand roller mill that would have been just dandy, sadly it was last used for crushing brimstone and was left out uncleaned so the sulfur had rotted it all to hell.

In case y'all wondering what an AW7 is this video is of one. We had 5 or 6 of these at any one time, one as a front-end loader, one as a grader one as a forklift and several as small farm tractors. Believe it or not the first time I knocked a tractor in angle gear on a hilly road and nearly killed myself to death was one one of these. I can tell yaz all once ya can much over 50 mile an hour that power steering ain't worth one squirt a goat piss. The water in the back wheels centrafuses and she started buck jumping by least 60 mile an hour. y'all take a look at the big ole coil spring under that seat and jus imagine hearing God whispering come on home son in ya ear. Ya lock the two brakes together and stamp it while it does shit but smoke and blister the paint off the housing.Ya barely got time for terror but ya manage to fit it in anyways

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Understand what you are sayin , Mate . You and Sue rode around one of my fields where I rolled a British Leyland for a tripple .
Heard them angel wings flappin that day .
TB
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

7 years and one month since we first sat down at this bench . Been a lot of good friends parked here for a time . Never thought about how long a legs this thread would grow when I started it .
You new folks set right down and tell your stories . You don't need seniority to tell a good yarn .
I'll be 70 yrs young in just over 4 weeks and I have yet to hear the best yarn ever told .
Accept the challenge .
There's been some real professionals sittin on this bench .
And , trust me , that bench is real . Many folks that post here have signed it .
Had a good time eating , drinking , and visiting at the same time .
Step in and give it a shot .
Never know , you might get an invite to sign the real BENCH .
Did I say that about right , Jed ?