The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: The liar's bench

Post by corene1 »

Who said that !? Sip my whisky I really don't think so . I believe I will Chug my whisky thank you very much.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:
corene1 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:You be FINE , Gal . No , I ain't no lawyer . Back in the '70's when I was a deep miner I got elected as Union Steward and had to learn all that fancy shit to represent my constituency .
If you can't win with brilliance you got to baffle them with BULLSHIT .
Well you do fine on all accounts in my opinion.
I consider that a high compliment coming from you , Gal .
I'm gettin about half kicked on some of my new AG corn and need to get off here as well .
Let's play 'Donald and Lydia' as the curtain comes down for the evening .
OK and we can do a waltz around the bench
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

:clap: I guess Donald and Lydia just got closer than 10 miles away .
Snuggle up beside me , Gal , and we will share drinks and the fire while we solve the world's problems .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote::clap: I guess Donald and Lydia just got closer than 10 miles away .
Snuggle up beside me , Gal , and we will share drinks and the fire while we solve the world's problems .
Love that man,such a performer, brings a tear to the eye doesn't it?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote::clap: I guess Donald and Lydia just got closer than 10 miles away .
Sure does . Especially when he describes so many of us with so much eloquence .
There were so many artists in that period that so knew who we were . Didn't have to get vulgar to tell it like it was , neither .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Now ya got me listnen to all my old favorites and a couple of new ones. What did ya think of the whisky? Just about 1 shot left I will leave it for you.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

The whisky was great and thank you for the dance . That's the stuff memories are made of .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Truckinbutch wrote:
corene1 wrote:
Sure does . Especially when he describes so many of us with so much eloquence .
There were so many artists in that period that so knew who we were . Didn't have to get vulgar to tell it like it was , neither .
"Talking dirty in Hawaiian" don't leave a whole lot to the imagination, jus sayin
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQHaTml9p4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow For those of us that remember .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Don't know how many more S3's I will host . Many , I hope . The final one will be themed by that song and will celebrate the fact that I never missed the dance . No mourning . Just a celebration of a life fully lived .
All are invited .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Don't know how many more S3's I will host . Many , I hope . The final one will be themed by that song and will celebrate the fact that I never missed the dance . No mourning . Just a celebration of a life fully lived .
All are invited .
You will be around a good long while , I am going to have to try and make one of them. Where you at ? Only been out of California. a couple of times. It would be an adventure. Been to Durango Colorado. Claiborne Texas and Reserve New Mexico . My 3 big out of state travels. Las Vegas a few times. Been south of the border a few times fishing and hunting. That's about it.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:The whisky was great and thank you for the dance . That's the stuff memories are made of .
my pleasure. Yes memories and dreams.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdwUpxkfSJw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Don't know how many more S3's I will host . Many , I hope . The final one will be themed by that song and will celebrate the fact that I never missed the dance . No mourning . Just a celebration of a life fully lived .
All are invited .
You will be around a good long while , I am going to have to try and make one of them. Where you at ? Only been out of California. a couple of times. It would be an adventure. Been to Durango Colorado. Claiborne Texas and Reserve New Mexico . My 3 big out of state travels. Las Vegas a few times. Been south of the border a few times fishing and hunting. That's about it.
6 miles from the home of WVU . That ain't much to recommend me .
Met Ben Johnson once at the Port Of Entry at Cortez , CO . He was on his way to Harry Carey Jr's ranch in Durango for a visit . Just a common feller that never forgot his roots when he became a star .
Never had much time for Vegas . My favorite stop was Whisky Pete's at Bordertown . Fond memories there .
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Shove over so I can sit a minute, bout to fall over as I done a stupid one because of pride.
I have a Cpl who I put in charge of PT (physical training) and once a week instead of going to the gym I normally go with them for a run or whatever they're doing. Well this morning we went on a 5mile run and I was keeping a moderate pace since my knees are so busted up and I shouldn't be out there anyway, and the kids are all full of piss and vinegar and playing grab ass, running backwards and generally acting like smartasses. I was just out for a run when a couple got dogging me. "Was this the way the Romans ran when you were with them?" and "you're not gonna die on us are ya?" Shit like that. So I just smiled and said "we'll see"
Well we ran to the 2 1/2mile point and they were all getting ready to turn around and I ran on past. First thing they all came after me whooping and going on. "we're we going to Warrant?" I answered "a bit farther" Course they took off like rabbits to the entrance of the demo range about 300 yards up the ring road. As they took off I said "when you get to the range road, do 20 pushups". They were madly pumping as I trotted on by. I still had 12 guys going at my pace and the 9 of them were howling as they ran by again. "Do another 20 when you hit the grenade range road" and away they flew. My Cpl said "WO, its 7:45 eh?" No problem, we'll turn soon.
got to the grenade range and we swung around and started for home, most of the young ones puffing a bit but still willing. When we hit the turn onto the main route about 2 miles to our building I stepped it out a bit. I went from being ok to breathing through the mouth to now getting my second wind and I was back to breathing through my nose. So we all increased and the boys started to step out to. "ooh, the Warrant is picking up the pace, we're almost faster than a walk now, haw, haw" As we got closer I stepped out a bit more and then with about a mile left I was hoofing it pretty fast. There was 6 of us left and the talk had quieted down.
There was a short hill and then a straight stretch of about 200 yards when I went to a full blown sprint. I caught them all by surprise as I was fully rested and had a planned strategy. I was flat out and only one guy was closing my initial 15ft head start. just as he caught me we were at the gate to our compound and I slowed to a fast walk. Only then did I feel my knees screaming. I was purple and huffing heavy but so were all these little bastards too so I never let anything on. After doing 5 or 6 circles and everyone was trickling in I yelled "pair up". I grabbed a guy my size and put him in the firemans carry and walked him about 50ft and set him down. "lets go, lets go, on the double" Everybody was huffing and puffing and not real keen on it but once we were done and the ones who were full of piss and vinegar were totally winded, I said "who is ready to fight?" I got blank looks. I purposely breathed through my nose with my mouth closed and asked again "who here looks ready to fight and who looks like they broke their ovaries"? Bunch of giggling later they got my point of conserving energy, our job is to be able to fight when we get where we're going, not use all our energy just to get there.
Point made I got the Cpl to do the cool down then sent everyone to the showers and I went in my office and almost passed out my knees hurt so bad! lol. Made the mistake of putting my feet up on the desk for a couple minutes as I cooled down, put my feet down to go have a shower and everything was numb! Supposed to be back at work for 9:30 but I was still in PT gear "waiting for the hot water" and working at my desk when the TS Officer walked in with a grin. "heard you had a good run" "Yeah the f*&^ing yard apes were mouthing off so I took some wind out of their sails Sir".
"Very good, carry on" he said with a laugh

It's now 3:30 in the afternoon and my knees/back/hip/everything hurts...unless one of the troops walk in of course, then I'm good to go obviously! lol. Stupid pride, should of but couldn't help myself, I'd run the little bastards into the ground just to prove I could out do them...maybe the wife is right and I'm too competitive? HA!

Oh well, lead from the front and all that. I took next week off because it's march break here, probably spend it in bed now! LOLOLOL!

Here, take this bottle back, I'm gonna sit back and just close my eyes and listen for a bit, you guys carry on.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

You very well made your point with the kids . That may save their lives at a later date .
Pain that will pass was a small sacrifice to embed that lesson in their minds .
You done good in a big way .
I'm proud to share a drink with you :thumbup:
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks TB, now pass the a-535 and look away so you don't see a grown man cry. :lol:

Wife went to bed as she works tomorrow, I'm just gonna sit on the bench here nursing this quart.
MmmMm feeling better already.

Who's that stumbling up the path to the bench?
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Wouldn't be me. :lol: :lol: :lol: . Unfortunately nothing exciting has happened me. So I'll just take a sip and be done.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Might be Janitor coming to tidy things up a bit since Flatwoods strapped his legs for being remiss in his duties .
Pray to the Lord that it's not that damned monkey .
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Nah. Just me.
Hey all. Just got off the tractor diggin' rocks outta the horse corral an' thought I'd wander by to see who's hangin' out. Busy day though.
Got up, had breakfast, received and stashed a squeeze of hay then hooked up the trailer, loaded up the saws and cut a load of seasoned oak up on the mountain. Man, those damned bark beetles have done a number up there on the pines. Firewood everywhere.
Came down, had a snack, unloaded the trailer, dragged the corral and here I am. Sumbody please pass me a jug. I'm pooped! :yawn:

tp
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Here ya go . Some AG white that SRD and I made . It's a fair drop and you deserve one right now .
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Mmm. Thanks, TB. Hit the spot! Image

tp
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

TP, reminds me of what my dad told a friend of his from town one time. The guy asked dad what he did on the farm, dad replied, " well I get up and milk the cows and goats, feed them and pick the eggs and feed the chickens, by then ma comes out and takes the eggs In the house as I get the tractor fired up and take it out back. I plow twenty or so acres and then bring the tractor in." The townie asked "wow, that's a lot of work, then what do you do"?

Dad said " have breakfast"

Ya ever hear of the farmer who won a million bucks? When they asked what he was going to do with it he said he'd keep on farming until it ran out.

That's a good drop you got there TB, oh you didn't see I grabbed it again? My bad :wink:
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Actually, it's getting late and I got to change the oil in the truck tomorrow and then I'm digging into the 100lb's of grain I got. Time to make the whisky. Went to the feed and seed the other day because birdseed was on sale and the wife said we might as well pick up some more cracked corn while we're here. Didn't tell her I've already got 50 or more pounds home already.

So, I've got 50 lbs of 4 grain and 50 of cracked corn, not sure which to use yet, either one will get some of the malted barley I have mixed in.

Anyhoo, better skidaddle, morning comes early.

Night all, I'll leave what's left of this quart here, don't think it's as good as TB's course it's only a month or so old, but it works.

Gnight
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

So I'm mopping up my disaster...kinda want to hang with you guys...back to stillin' and moppin'...damn carboy... happy 'bout the thumper run coming up. Oh yeah, got some baked beans on the slow cooker...
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Sorry for your loss. Just be glad you didn't get cut up. Them glass carboys have hurt people. Bad.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

A post got me thinking about a sidetrip I took while deer hunting once... Corene's not around is she? Good... I'll tell y'all before she gits back... Let me pour me another coffee and firepiss first...
We was hunting down in south Texas (Big River was the back of the ranch)and my great uncle decided that me and him were going to mexico to "drink". Now for those of you that don't know, every little and big town that has a border crossing has a area of town called La Zona Rosa, the red zone,where EVERYTHING is for sale. Boystown some call it, the red light district.... Whores and booze if I'm not making it clear. "The original cultural exchange". I had no clue,16 yrs old remember. Uncle Glenn was79 and the year is 1996.
We cross over the border and headed for the bars and he picks this one thats two stories and in we go. In about 30 seconds I figured out it was a whore house/bar and said so to uncle Glenn. I Know ,he says ,that's why were here! We start to drinking and the girls start coming by asking if we wanna go up stairs and away goes Uncle Glenn. I politely declined... I got drunk and shot pool and mebbie a bit more but didn't talk with my uncle all night. Saw him come down stairs every hour on the hour but didn't get a chance to talk. Too busy drinking and playing pool and avoiding most of the professional std spreaders. Next thing I know its daylight,the girls are gone and I'm ready to leave, uncle Glenn is sitting at the bar a ten dollar bill in his hand next to a very large unconscious "lady". I asked if he was ready to go as he poked the tenspot into her cleavage. He said "yeah,I've already screwed every single whore in here cept thisun and she's too fat and drunk anyway,let's go". I asked what he left the 10$ for and he said " because he didnt want her to feel neglected".
Best night ever....
Looking back I discovered a lesson in that night: Never doubt an old man!
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well, oil change is done, ain't goin outside to cook up a mash though, -21 and -30 with the windchill!! This is March dang it! Like my neighbor said "global warmin' me arse!" :lol:

So, think I'll use the still to boil 10-15 gal of water and pour it in buckets/add grain/etc in the rec room. Momma's working so she should be none the wiser.
I'll use the four grain (oats/wheat/corn/barley) so hopefully I'll get good conversion. With straight cracked corn I like to cook it for a while to ensure conversion, this stuff should be easier since its only partly corn.

Well, gotta lock up the shop and head home to get cooking.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Had the mildest winter ever and then in the past 3 weeks.. BAM.. brutal bitter cold well below freezing.

Still didn't stop me from running 4 stripping runs wearing a toque, gloves and ski jacket. Was thinking thats what "Moonshiners: Canadian edition" would look like.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well, good and bad.
Water from the tap is 120 or so, so I put some in three pails (because I had three packs of enzymes) and mixed in 10lbs of 4 grain. Then when the still had water boiling I topped up most of the way with boiling water. Checked the temp and it looked weird, should be above 120, the water I put in was boiling. Pulled the thermometer apart and the top was snapped off! :evil: No not where the murcury was, the outside glass tube. DAMN!
Did the "this feels about right" by adding cold water and mixing but not positive of the temp. Mixed in the enzymes and looked and I still had a bunch of hot water left over...hmmm..we live got malted barley there..wait a minute, that would be wasted as it would be distilled with the other three.
So, 5lbs of cracked corn and 2 1/2 lbs of sugar and I won't feel so bad thinning out the whisky with ujsm.

Just waiting for the three to convert (leave them till tomorrow ) and pitched bread yeast to the sugar wash.

Oh, checked the ph while I was at it too.
6.6 is the tap water and 5.1 for the mash after adding grain.

Wife just passed me the paper, another micro distillery open up here. From none 6-7 years ago to 14 now.. In a province of less than a million people? Typical marketing bullshit too "we have the second or third highest water fall in the province, the water is exquisite, that's our advantage nobody else has, the perfect water for distilling"
Yeah, whatever buddy. Man I hate marketing!