The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Re: The liar's bench

Post by frodo »

moosemilk wrote:I missed the gathering. But my instructor did recommend me to the program coordinator for the pressure pipe course I want. And I received my new toy.....I mean TOOL today. Just gotta finish wiring it up. I have the power source in my work shed, but decided I want to run it on a dedicated circuit (mainly to help with any interference due to the HF start). Has pulse and square wave, 2T/4T, the torch trigger can be set to ramp up and down when a foot pedal isn't a great option (in those odd put your left leg over your right shoulder while juggling oranges and tongue hanging out of corner of mouth positions). Tig is 100% duty cycle at 200A, 60% at 250A. Stick is 100% at 130A, 60% at 200A, 35% at 250A . . . which is more than enough. Water cooled torch. Yup, can't wait to get to playing . . . errr, i mean working with it. Maybe even do some stainless builds :D

I know this is the liars bench . . . so here's a little exaggeration to fit it. This thing has a 100% duty cycle on the stick side at like 900A. The tig is so damn good i don't even need argon and can weld 3 inch thick aluminum from 7 feet away in a hurricane while drinking a beer.

Glad you all enjoyed truckorama. It was a tough choice for me to make . . . my machine which will allow me to start with a plan I have and my pipe course, or to meet up with great people who share a common passion. But I was there in spirit! (really, i was, kinda tied one on over the weekend lol).
be carefull about them hurricane jokes, I done seen one welders world turned upside down cause of hurricane joke

I mighta told his before,one time not sure.
my buddy, john Presley
was a HELLOFA welder, He was reported to be so damn good that he proclaimed one day, He could weld GOD up in a box
It was back in 1983 hurricane Alicia came thru Houston knocked his titty pink painted welding shed to the ground..
oh ...the pink ? damn ugly color. I asked him, I said "Damn John, Thats ugly as hell,Why you paint this SOB Titty pink ?
John said the paint was free
I said That is a most beautiful color

Any way, I went over to the pile of pink rubble to help a brother out,
cause thats how we do,
While I was picking up grinding wheels and such, I remembered that statement bout how Good john was.
And Me being a tad bit of an Asshole, I will rub shit like that in.
just another thing we do, no charge, will rag you ass for free
I started laughing. and John asked me ...I think the exact words were..WTF is so funny?
I said John , You remember you said you could weld GOD up in a box?
He Got out didn't HE ?
I think it was a Milwaukee 4 1/2'' grinder that flew by my head
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

And Me being a tad bit of an Asshole,

As this is the liar's bench I am torn on whether this is the truth or a lie-tad bit or surenuff asshole! Lol
Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

ga flatwoods wrote:And Me being a tad bit of an Asshole,

As this is the liar's bench I am torn on whether this is the truth or a lie-tad bit or surenuff asshole! Lol
Flatwoods
I wasn't sure either until he said 4 1/2" grinder went flying by his head. Then I knew it was true because nobody would throw a 5" or larger cuz they are useful.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

Guess, i'll finish the rest of the story. had to pinch one off real quick, then got to talking to that girl handing out the towels..

well. one thing to another..

When the milwaukee 4 1/2'' grinder flew by,,,

could have been a blk an decker
But, Me being old school, I trained at a young age Out in the street to dodge shit thrown at your head
I was an expert dirt clod dodger by the age of 11.
kids now a days never had formal training in such.
nintendo does not teach street survival skills
little fake head bob to the right and swoosh....only was slightly stung by the cord

john grinned..
yeah he said i think i should have run a forth 7018 pass
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

moosemilk wrote:
I wasn't sure either until he said 4 1/2" grinder went flying by his head. Then I knew it was true because nobody would throw a 5" or larger cuz they are useful.
i use my 4 1/2 angle grinder 10x more than the welder. gotta clean up chicken poop welds some how :oops:
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

jedneck wrote:i use my 4 1/2 angle grinder 10x more than the welder. gotta clean up chicken poop welds some how :oops:
Me too, Jed.
grinder.jpg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
jedneck wrote:i use my 4 1/2 angle grinder 10x more than the welder. gotta clean up chicken poop welds some how :oops:
Me too, Jed.
grinder.jpg
thats me
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

2 grinders, stone on one and wire wheel on the other
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

frodo wrote:2 grinders, stone on one and wire wheel on the other
Wire wheel . . . the only time i use the actual grinding disc is if i have a ton of millscale or paint and such to get off . . . or if i have to clean up the welds that the other guy tried to do first before bringing it to get it done right. If you want a nice disc though, pick up some of those 3M cubitrons. Man those are sweet! Few bucks more, but they last much longer, and cut through anything FAST. Cutting disk on my metabo, wire wheel on my Milwaukee and grinding disk on my craftsman since i barley use it.

4th pass . . . hmm . . . didn't prep the joint enough would be my guess. Root pass. Hot pass. 3 fill passes, maybe 4, then 3 on cap unless he was doing verticle with a weave, then could get away with one pass. I'd say it wasn't his welds, it was his procedure. Maybe left some millscale on there and didn't get complete fusion at the joint. God would definitely take advantage of that. But by the sounds of things, it wasn't God he boxed up . . . It was Murphy he grabbed by mistake and he was just showing his law at work.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Me too, Jed.
grinder.jpg
I saw that one when i started trade school. Yup, i started out as a grinder . . . like most. That's where I learned them 3M cubitron grinding discs are bees knees. Saves hell of a lot of time, especially grinding down backing bars when you don't want to wait for the guys on the machine to do it and the torches are all being used so can't get in to back gouge.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

when the 7'' disc's get used. then changed out, i snag them for my 4 1/2
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

Chemtrails Aren't Real, In Case You Were Wondering WAKE UP, SHEEPLE.

Contrails, or condensation trails, are the linear clouds formed by jet engines as they fly in the upper reaches of our atmosphere. The low temperatures at those heights means that the heat of exhaust immediately crystalizes into ice, forming the fluffy trails we see across the sky.

What you may not know is that a group of conspiracy theorists are dead set on proving that contrails are not just innocent ice crystals, but a government conspiracy to spray the populous with chemicals, what they call "chemtrails". Celebrities as diverse as Kylie Jenner and Billy Corgan have used Twitter to align themselves with the theory.

It's not hard for lay people to poke holes in this fanciful theory. (For example, why would the government use a highly visible method of spraying us with chemicals when they could do it without attracting attention?) But now, a group of scientists has spoken out to confirm that chemtrails are indeed fake.

A survey published by the journal Environmental Research Letters polled some of the people who know the most about this area of aviation science: chemists who study contrails and geochemists focusing on atmospheric dust and pollution deposits. Of those scientists, 76 of the 77 polled agreed that there was no secret government spraying program and that contrails are innocent clouds (though we do wonder what the 77th scientist has to say for himself).

"We wanted to establish a scientific record on the topic of secret atmospheric spraying programs for the benefit of those in the public who haven't made up their minds," Steven Davis, an Earth Systems scientist at UC Irvine said. "The experts we surveyed resoundingly rejected contrail photographs and test results as evidence of a large-scale atmospheric conspiracy."

Of course, if you're a chemtrails believer, this study will probably do little to dissuade you. The scientists could have all been bought by the government, after all. This isn't a totally foolish thing to believe--for decades, the government took the word of scientists who said that lead in gasoline was not leading to lead poisoning in workers, among other dubious claims. However, you can rest assured that in this case, if the government wanted to slowly poison us, there would most likely be a much easier and less detectible way to do it. Fast food, anyone?
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

Terry's brisket

I was working out of town, and staying in a days inn 5 days out of 7
working 10 hour days. we packed our food in a cooler from home.
On the job, we had a boiler room with heat, lights, a fridge and microwave.
If i remember their were about 20 guys on the crew, about like this bunch here on
this site, do anything in the world for you, but will rag your ass unmercifully if weakness is detected.
We had a new pipe fitter named Terry, he was fitt'n right in with the usual back and forth bullshit.
Monday morning comes around and Terry shows up at 6am. along with the rest of us.
in his hand he has a country crock butter container.
Terry starts right in, I have smoked brisket from home and this is some good stuff.
All ya'll have is them damn bologna sammich's on cold bread and I have smoked brisket
It is good and BLAH BLAH...
He was laying it on thick, damnit, i wanted me some of that brisket !!!!

lunch time rolls around and Terry starts back up again about how good his brisket is gonna be. just let me but it in the microwave.

He popped in the nuke box and mashed 4. talked crap about that brisket for 4 minutes non stop
the bell rang, Terry pulled out his country crock container
he opened it up. it was full of melted butter.
LOL LOL he had grabbed the wrong one out of the fridge at home.
Terry was very upset and was throwing a little brisket fit
I, being a tad bit of an asshole, offered Terry one of my cold ass bologna sammich's on cold white bread.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Only time my mama ever caught me drinking is when working with my uncle doing construction layout after I graduated high school. We stopped by the NCO club with some of his buddies. They talked bullshit while I watched the exotic dancer strut her stuff. Couldn't talk her into a back room show but I tried ! Anyway I had too many beer and drove home. Thankfully daddy was in the bed already. I just went to the bed room to pass out. I remember mama undressing me and putting me to bed. I am sure she was pissed but moreso disappointed with me. The next day I got up like nothing had happened and got ready for work while she fixed my lunch. Out the door I went with no bad ass chewin'. I had gotten away with it! At lunch that day I was starving having not eaten breakfast. The lunch pail was heavy today and I was ready for it. Surely it was supper I hadn't eaten the night before. The first thing I opened was in tin foil. What the hell? She had foil wrapped a damned onion. Well, I ate onion so there must be something good that it goes with in there still. I reached in for the next container. By this time my asshole uncle was all into my lunch with his eyes and had started talking shit already. So, ignoring him as best I could, I opened the butter bowl and found a handritten note that said "run the street like a dog, eat like one!". My mama who loved me so had filled that container with Kibbles-n-Bits dog food to go along with a damned onion! My uncle almost puked from laughing so damned hard. Two or three other tradesmen came around and he poured salt into the wound badly all the time laughing his ass off. I threw that shit down and had to hurry off to the restaurant to buy myself some lunch. That was not funny in my mind worth a damn. My mama later told me that me coming home the way I had left her feeling the same way! Then I understood. It was that week that my mama, not I, decided that I would be enrolling at the university to begin school the next week. I smirked it off as not happening so quickly, but again I underestimated her as I was no longer working construction a week later.so, my whole career now I owe to getting drunk, watching titties, and not wanting to be eating dog food! How lucky can a man be? Thank you mama, you most wise of sages!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Flatwoods , my brother ; ain't nobody sharin this Bench ever gonna top that story . :thumbup:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

no sir, you can not top a story that has mama in it.

good story Flatwoods
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

This aint no lie, its a fishing story.
or rather an attacked by fish story.

with picture,
i bought a boat, got a smok'n deal on the sob.

hold on, here take a pull off this. the green looking stuff is dragon juice.
if you aint got fuzzy nuts, best leave it be
the other is some corn flake and whit oak aged per near a month now..its gooder than 2 mf's

I took the boat over to a buddies house and picked him up. backed out the drive way and got stuck in the wet grass
its been raining for 3 0r 4 weeks around here.

I got unstuck and headed to the Mississippi rive up around Vicksburg,
we arrived safely and put the boat in the water, hold on there,,,i told you that shit is hot..
theirs a hose pipe around the corner,,that might help.

oh yeah,,we started down river, and we turned off the Mississippi into the big black
went about a 1/2 mile looking for a good spot to stretch a trout line.

a sob asian carp jumped up out the water, smacked by buddy upside his head then fell on the gas line
and pulled it loose from th motor.

i am talking a 15--20 pound 30'' long big ass carp. after i asked ifen he was ok.
i laughed like hell cause the shit was fumy to watch.
we fiddle with te gas ling, then started paddling .
i guess we paddled 1/4 mile maybe a 1/2, seemed like 5 miles

then we got the motor started back to the landing.
said screw fishing, put 2 chairs under a willow tree and drank some shine and told lies the rest of the day

nothing in these pictures id me,
DSCN4034.JPG
damn rain !!!!!!!!!!
DSCN4035.JPG
the fish that assaulted him
DSCN4044.JPG
you can see the red welt on his face
DSCN4045.JPG
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

LWTCS wrote:
rad14701 wrote:That is correct... And several years ago they did request sales lists... Fortunately, the TTB is vastly understaffed, to the point where they can't even make regular inspections at legal distilleries since the upswing of craft distillery startups so they can't follow up on hobby level sales... Therefore, the collection requests were discontinued... However, when and if the TTB ever makes another request, it will be for sales for up to the previous three years just like this last time... There is at least one topic on the subject here in the forums...
100% Rad.

which reminds me.

about a decade ago, The Mrs. and me held a barn tearing-down party. A huge barn, a big ugly ol' sunofabitch. It was well on it's way to the ground so we thought we'd give it a nudge towards the wood pile.
we got a nice crew working and things were coming apart nicely.
About noon we stopped for "coffee" and dust break, when buddy from works shows up to give a hand.
We got a typical Alberta redneck crew going, and while this young fella is gearing up his PPE... there is guys (on coffee :ewink: ) standing around with beer and smoke in one hand and a (running) chainsaw in the other.

He dons a white zip up coveralls then slips on his steel toes, complete with tarsal protection.
Then the cut resistant gloves go on and he then procceds to masking tape them coveralls to them.

couple chain saws get shut off...
Then he pulls the hood of the coveralls up and pulls full-on goggles over his face, just above his dust mask.

Just then the guy on the roof turns and sees him, looking like the Michelin man with a full face shield in his hand...Sees the crowd of guys, beers and saws...He bends down and grabs his beer and has a sip. Holding his (running) chainsaw on his leg, shouts down at the young guy, "ya think you'll be ok?" :P

young guy looks up and sez "do you have any idea how much marijuana i had to smoke to get this paranoid?" :shock:

A moment of pause and a roar of laughter goes up.... Just as a truss in the roof lets go.

Buddy on the roof is on the move, the roof falls out from under him, his chainsaw (did i mention running?) goes flipping up, straight north. The roof deck falls down to the wall, he rolls down and falls (with the utmost grace) the last 8 feet, flat on his back. He glances to his hand and sees the beer still there!

Just as the smile starts to spread across his face, he realizes that gravity still has a hold of his chainsaw.

an awed hush comes down with the chainsaw. It buries itself, blade first, right between his legs.

It ran a couple more pops and then stalling out, buddy sits up and with beer in hand and chainsaw inches from nards, lets out a rebel yell. :clap:
Last edited by HDNB on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

An inspiring story to start my day with . :thumbup:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Well boys it sure hasn't changed much here at the bench. Ya mind if I sit a spell and have a drink of your hooch, it's been a bit of a dry spell that is for sure and for certain, but glad to be back and able to spend some time with all you honyoks here at the bench.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

corene1 wrote:Well boys it sure hasn't changed much here at the bench. Ya mind if I sit a spell and have a drink of your hooch, it's been a bit of a dry spell that is for sure and for certain, but glad to be back and able to spend some time with all you honyoks here at the bench.
Welcome back! We live and missed you! :clap:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Snuggle on in here , gal , and Ill even give you a sneak preview of the 5 quarts we blended at S3 16 . Wasn't supposed to be touched until S3 17 but I think we can make an exception for our stillin godess .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Well my friend I sure do appreciate that and I am bettin it is mighty tasty. Sure would like to get back to one of those get togethers some day . I still have a few things stashed in the woods just for safe keepin. Ya don't think I would trust my stash to someone else for safe keepin do ya. I still have a big jar of my original offering to the first S3 gathering stashed somewheres. I am bettin after a couple years it is gettin perty good. Now if I could only find it. Dang I hate this gettin old stuff. Kinda like huntin easter eggs now, cept the whisky don't get rotten.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Are you hinting that you are getting to the point where you can hide your own easter eggs ?
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Are you hinting that you are getting to the point where you can hide your own easter eggs ?
Sadly enough I am to the point that I have 2 of everything at work so I don't have to always stop and find what I am looking for.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Shame you were offline while that meeting was on, would have been great to have met you face to face while we were over. There were a great bunch of men and women at that meeting for sure :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

thecroweater wrote:Shame you were offline while that meeting was on, would have been great to have met you face to face while we were over. There were a great bunch of men and women at that meeting for sure :thumbup:
I tried to keep up with what was going on and it sounds like you had a great time and it would have been an honor to meet you and your wife in person. I can't even imagine how many miles you must have driven. Lots of memories for everyone involved.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:
thecroweater wrote:Shame you were offline while that meeting was on, would have been great to have met you face to face while we were over. There were a great bunch of men and women at that meeting for sure :thumbup:
I tried to keep up with what was going on and it sounds like you had a great time and it would have been an honor to meet you and your wife in person. I can't even imagine how many miles you must have driven. Lots of memories for everyone involved.
Yes , indeed , on the memories .
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

So good to see you back, Corene. Your advice is top notch all the time, and your presence is a blessing. Don't feel so empty at the bench. Have a sip of this . . . it's just over 3 months old now, an AG with barley and rye malt, and some corn. Still young, but i think it's my best so far . . . I call it "AmyZnGrace", a little play on words named after my girls.

So while ya been gone, i've not only got the stillin' but, but also caught that welding bug. Bought myself a nice little unit. It ain't a blue or red, but it sure does run nice. And got myself into a pressure pipe course . . . around my parts, that's a valuable ticket to hold . . . if ya heard about the Energy East project over this side, i'm in the right vicinity (not a matter of "if" it goes through, but "when" . . . when there's that much dollars at stake, nothing will stop it . . . just gotta grease the right hands).

Now I know my work won't hold a candle to yours, but i've got some builds planned out now that I have and can do tig . . . and some thanks to your inspiration.

Again, great to see ya back and share a seat and a sip with ya!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Welcome back Corene! Been out in the woods working for a couple of weeks then a quick flight down to San Diego to see my nephew graduate MCRD. Now I'm resting watching the stupid 49ers lose. Glad your back! :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still