rifles

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

rifles

Post by Uncle Jesse »

what do you guys prefer as far as caliber and such?

I like shooting grandads old bolt-action .30-.30 which kicks like a mule and I have a 6.5 wildcat which is a lot of fun.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I have a few,and my favorites are 223,270,308,and 45 long colt.Those wildcat calibers are fun,if you reload,and have some brass.
wineo
Husker
retired

Re: rifles

Post by Husker »

Uncle Jesse wrote:what do you guys prefer as far as caliber and such?

I like shooting grandads old bolt-action .30-.30 which kicks like a mule and I have a 6.5 wildcat which is a lot of fun.
Cant go wrong with a 30'06. Good (great) hunting round from everything from varmits, to deer, to hogs, to elk (well a little on the light side for elk, but still a good up to 200 yard round). Btw, a 30'06 has about twice the kick of the 30-30. If you are looking for a good round, with little kick, the 243 (6mm) is a pretty damn good round. Pretty much same case as the '06, but a lot less mass in the bullet. However, they will whallop any deer sized animal (however, I think they would not be good for hogs, as those things have one HELL of a thick skin).

However, most of my hunting of late, has been with 50 cal and 45 cal black powder (I have 4 BP rifles). Around here, using BP opens up a lot more land and a lot more "seasons" to hunt deer.

H.
showrguy
Swill Maker

Post by showrguy »

aaahh, i love this topic..
i always hunted with a remington 7mm rem. mag, it's knocked down mule deer at 400 yds, pennsylvania whitetails at all distances, montana prarie dogs at 300 yds. even whacked a coyote with it, gun shoots great and very comfortable..
2 yrs. ago the little woman bought me a ruger mk. 2, stainless 300 winchester short mag. i took that on a hunt in northwest british columbia (well i took em both incase one got crushed by a horse) for mountain goat and moose, ruger was supposed to be on that hunt filming for their t.v. show but conceled with 2 days to go..
anyway, i came back with a great goat and a 51" bull, good gun also, and much lighter than the remington... still need a Pa. black bear, we can't bait here so that's a tough one to get...
cheers
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

I shot with an airgun last weekend, does that count? :lol:

(4.5 mm, yeah ) 8)
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

I must confess, I have never even held a real gun before...pellet gun and paint ball guns...made some fire crackers with black powder too...never a gun though.
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

stoker wrote:I shot with an airgun last weekend, does that count? :lol:

(4.5 mm, yeah ) 8)
I shoot an airgun quite a bit. Damn rabbits in my garden. Got a fence around the garden now, so many fewer bunnies in there, but somehow they still get in. Just shot a little one last weekend in there. He got in somehow, but could not figure out how to get out. Dam vermin.

H.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I dont have time to hunt much anymore,but still do some target shooting.
Handguns mostly,and a little long range with the 308.I got a real nice 22 target pistol that would do a number on them rabbits.The 44 would just make a mess.
wineo
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

I cut my teeth on a slide action Winchester .22. Over the years I then progressed to a lever action single shot 310, 303 and then put in a uniform and had a lot of toys to play with. I really like the 50 cal machine gun and thankfully never in anger.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

30 years of hunting my rem. .270 Bolt has yet to fail me .. great cal.from woodchucks to Mule deer .. does the job for me .
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

Husker wrote:
stoker wrote:I shot with an airgun last weekend, does that count? :lol:

(4.5 mm, yeah ) 8)
I shoot an airgun quite a bit. Damn rabbits in my garden. Got a fence around the garden now, so many fewer bunnies in there, but somehow they still get in. Just shot a little one last weekend in there. He got in somehow, but could not figure out how to get out. Dam vermin.

H.
I use a .177 airgun for crows. Not heavy enough even with pointed pellets to kill anything else.

Surprisingly, the .177 airgun is almost more accurate than my .22 "Marlin" semi auto. Hit a crow at 135 yds with the .177, but can't even nick a groundhog in the hayfield at the same distance. :? Sights must need recalibration. (Airgun still can't punch through a 'coon skull at point blank range though.)

I'd really like to get a bolt action .30-.30 or .30'06. I really never shoot fast enough to need a semi auto anyway.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I use a 270 bolt action for hunting.Was raised using a 22 bolt action.Still like squirrel hunting with it.Aint let me down in 42 years.Also bp 50 cal and a crossbow.9mm has been my choise of hand gun lately.Got a few handguns in that as well as a rifle.My gun safe will hold 30 long guns several pistols hope one day to fill it up :) Far as kicking goes I turkey hunt with a 3 1/2 in magnum 12 gage.Those nitro magnum loads will make ya take a step back
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Sadly I had to hand my .22 self loading rifle and 12g gun to the cops.

Here in Australia we are all considered to be too stupid to handle firearms so they're virtually impossible to own.

Except for the cops and robbers of course, and sometimes it's difficult to differentiate them :(
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
drunk2much
Bootlegger

Post by drunk2much »

Sounds like yall need a better gun lobby and quick. I think i would have burried my guns if the feds every came knocking or at least the ones they dont know about. :shock: I have a .243 that i deer hunt with but that easy to do with these smaller deer in my parts and i have 1903 project rifle im working on, and i target shoot with a 300 winmag
when is never enough?
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

bet ya go through alot of targets with that 300 mag huh lol not much left after a hit .. :D
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

I'm buying a 22 bolt action soon for knocking the rabbits on my property, I'm also buying a 303 ex military rifle for destruction of injured animals, I am one of the shooters for WIRES, that's an Aussie animal welfare organisation.
Image Keep on Stillin' Image
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Here in the states{some of them}you have no problem owning guns,unless your a felon,or beat up your wife.I work in the city,and go into all the bad places at all hours,so I have a permit to carry a handgun,and carry one,or have one close by at all times.I have never had to shoot somebody,but its saved me from being robbed a few times.
Once the bad guys see you mean buisness,they back off.If they dont they will get a third eye.Have glock,will travel!
wineo
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

wineo wrote:Here in the states{some of them}you have no problem owning guns,unless your a felon,or beat up your wife.I work in the city,and go into all the bad places at all hours,so I have a permit to carry a handgun,and carry one,or have one close by at all times.I have never had to shoot somebody,but its saved me from being robbed a few times.
Once the bad guys see you mean buisness,they back off.If they dont they will get a third eye.Have glock,will travel!
wineo
I also have permit I carry a glock 26 what kind glock you got?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I have 2 19s.There my favorite.I used to have a 26c,but didnt like it.I cant hit crap with a 40cal.I dont know why,but me and 40s just dont get along.Ive got a 1911,and can shoot it real good at 25yards,and the same with the9mm,38,357,44mag.Just cant shoot those 40 cals.
wineo
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Seems the only thing I get to shoot anymore is raccoons and coyotes. I have a really old, good quality, 7.62x39 SKS. It does everything I need it to including somewhat cheap target practice and deer hunting, when I get a chance. It is the only small rifle I have used than can drop a coyote in a single, well placed shot.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Thats a good round out to about 150 yards.I used to have an ak,but sold it ,and got a dpms 223.Fun to shoot.my friend has a russian sks,and it shoots better then those chinese,and yugo ones.Did you try that irish yet?
wineo
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

I own quite a few firearms. My current favorite is a black powder 20 ga side-by-side shotgun.

Blackpowder shotguns are awsome... every load is a custom load. The same gun is good for everythin' from doves to rabbit to turkey (up close).
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

I hope they never pass a law to carry hand guns here.
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

bourbonbob wrote:I hope they never pass a law to carry hand guns here.
funny, I keep hoping they'll let us carry handguns here in CA. As it is it's damn near impossible to get a permit. I always figured the only people who are afraid of an armed citizenry are those who want to take advantage of that citizenry in one way or another and don't want them shootin' back.
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

take the hands guns of people and you won't have to worry about someone shooting you.......the stats on hand gun shootings in America tells the story, you would be far better off without them.
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

bourbonbob wrote:take the hands guns of people and you won't have to worry about someone shooting you.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I'd like to think our government is at least a little worried that we can shoot back.
dixiedrifter
Swill Maker

Post by dixiedrifter »

There is one flaw with that theory.

There is at least one firearm for every man woman and child in the USA floating about the general population, legal, illegal, and many untraceable.

As the old saying goes, "it doesn't do any good to try and close the gate once the cows have done got outta the barn".
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

dixiedrifter wrote:There is one flaw with that theory.

There is at least one firearm for every man woman and child in the USA floating about the general population, legal, illegal, and many untraceable.

As the old saying goes, "it doesn't do any good to try and close the gate once the cows have done got outta the barn".
We had lots here and the government introduced a buy back scheme, there was no way they would get them all but certainly got the majority.

Now you have to show good reason for possessing a firearm and there is a very strict investigation to pass before you are issued with a license, if you have any sort of criminal record, forget about it.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I love the old Daisy Red Rider for shooting red wasps in the grass. I have some other airgun that I don't even know the name of thats really accurate that I mostly use for that... Shooting a flying wasp out of the air at 25 or 30 feet is a hoot... (red wasps and I do not get along...)

I like the 12 gauge Mossberg shotgun, but BP shotguns are a blast too...

:roll:

My favorite was a custom made 50 caliber BP rifle with Halo sights... It belonged to a friend, and was made by another friend. You could shoot at a target 100 yards away and see the hole right in the middle of the sight. It was unlike any other rifle I have shot.

got a 45 colt handcannon thats a lot of fun with blackpowder rounds. Big fire and smoke.... and lots of cleaning....
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

I used to have an 1891 pump action .22 Winchester, when I split up with my ex she handed it in to the cops so I wouldn't shoot her, lol...... I was so pissed off, it was short and light and accurate, great gun for using on horseback.

I wish I still had it :(