rifles

Moderator: Site Moderator

thecroweater
retired

Re: rifles

Post by thecroweater »

Have a Tikka with a Finish Feder scope its a 243. Last time I used it the scope was for sure out so I got to sight that in next time I get home for a shoot
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Went to the range with a couple of buddies a coupla days ago. Our local range is closed due to a brush fire earlier this summer and the ensuing investigation so we went a half hour out of town to a range I haven't been to in a few years. They had installed 12" square steel swingers at 200 and 300 yards which tickled me to no end. I had changed out the AR's 1x red dot to a 3x9 for ground squirrel duty and wasn't quite sure of zero. 9 out of 10 hits with a standing barricade rest at 200 yards was enough to make me happy.
Pulled out the M700 and went to the 300 yard swinger and quickly understood the utility of a mil-dot scope. Once I got the hang of that I started banging it with some regularity.

I've always been a handgun guy using them for hunting, plinking and comp but rifles have been a fun challenge when you start stretching out there. :)

tp
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

T Pee,

Sight it in for 200. After that 300 is a chip shot. EEZY PEEZY.

Try this. Did it for many years. It's a blast. Centerfire. No manglums.
6mm minimum

http://www.riflesilhouette.com/Technica ... rgets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

200 meters, 300 meters, 385 meters, 500 meters.
Shoot from a standing position with no support, no slings, no heavy leather shooting gloves or shooting jackets are allowed.Scoped or irons. Your choice.
Blah, blah, blah,........
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Used to dabble in IHMSA (http://ihmsa.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow). Fun!

tp
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

T-Pee wrote:Used to dabble in IHMSA (http://ihmsa.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow). Fun!

tp
Hell yeah, Shot a 7 TCU & 357 Herret Contender in unlimited and a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag in revolver. Pretty neat when then sun is right and ya can watch the 44 bullets fly all the way to the rams when you're spotting. COOL .Back in my area during the 80s IHMSA was really rockin' :thumbup: :wave:

FMH
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:
T-Pee wrote:Used to dabble in IHMSA (http://ihmsa.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow). Fun!

tp
Hell yeah, Shot a 7 TCU & 357 Herret Contender in unlimited and a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag in revolver. Pretty neat when then sun is right and ya can watch the 44 bullets fly all the way to the rams when you're spotting. COOL .Back in my area during the 80s IHMSA was really rockin' :thumbup: :wave:

FMH
HA! I shot a 7 TCU too! Still have some of the brass and a dummy round or two. Used a .44mag Super Redhawk in revolver. Great minds and all that. :thumbup:

Look familiar?
7mm TCU.jpg
tp
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

168 SMKs over 4227 if memory serves correctly. Ripped a few rims off along the way too !! Head space had to have the proper SNAP to it.Cute little buggers ain't they ???
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I do remember having to extract the cartridge neck stuck in the chamber throat with a round file a time or two before I got making them right.
Startled the dickens out of me the first time I pulled a neckless case out of the chamber. :oops:

tp
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ahhhhhhhhhh,...... them were the dayz. Much fun. 8)

Then for a few years I got into machine guns pretty heavy.Sold all that stuff. Money pit for the unwise.

Now I just try to keep the feeders full for my feathered friends and make a little hooch to keep me warm.

It's a good life, friend. :thumbup: :wave:

Try some 22lr rifle silhouette. It's a blast. I've seen guys laughing so hard on the line they had put their rifles down and watch the clock run out. :crazy: 8) :lol:

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
PartingGlass
Novice

Post by PartingGlass »

Competition: XTC = .223, mid/long range prone (sling/iron) = .260
Fun = .30-06 (Garand/Springfield)
Little food = .22LR
Big food = .300 RUM
Goodnight, and joy be with you all
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Had a friend that shot a 45/110 sharps reproduction in long range type matches. Went and watched him shoot a few times and was shocked that he could eject the brass and stand it up beside his gun before you heard the bullet hit steel
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:Try some 22lr rifle silhouette. It's a blast. I've seen guys laughing so hard on the line they had put their rifles down and watch the clock run out. :crazy: 8) :lol:
Tried that with a red dot 10/22. Got in trouble with the Range Master as I was "shooting too fast and distracting the other shooters".
Nevermind that all the 100yd rams were down. :lolno:

tp (now, back to the rifle discussion at hand)
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

I love my Thompson Center Contender single shot 30-30. Also have the 12" 30-30 barrel with the muzzle break for the pistol grip. One heck of a kick on that baby. Both have 3x9 Leupold vari XIII scopes. Then again nothing like Belgium Browning A5 Light 12ga. Can't forget Matthews Z7. The toys fit the name.
Attachments
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Just received a Cz micromauser action with .223 bolt face, and ordered a fast taper,target crowned 21" barrel from Hart chambered in 6x45mm. Still have to order stock but that'll come later. Going to be a scout style knockaround gun. Long eye relief scope,flash suppressor, flip up ghost ring backup site and all. Calling it SOS,son of scout.

Deo Vendice

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Deerhunter wrote:I love my Thompson Center Contender single shot 30-30. Also have the 12" 30-30 barrel with the muzzle break for the pistol grip. One heck of a kick on that baby. Both have 3x9 Leupold vari XIII scopes. Then again nothing like Belgium Browning A5 Light 12ga. Can't forget Matthews Z7. The toys fit the name.
You get any of that from E. Arthur Brown? He seems to really like the T.C. Contenders.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Always liked my 30-30...
until I shot my uncle's 30-06
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

.44 mag lever action rossi
shoots good and is light :thumbup:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:.44 mag lever action rossi
Had the Rossi model 92 in .44, it was the single most painful gun I've ever shot. Crescent shaped metal buttpad and high power hunting loads hurt!

Deo Vendice

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

jb-texshine wrote:
Had the Rossi model 92 in .44, it was the single most painful gun I've ever shot. Crescent shaped metal buttpad and high power hunting loads hurt!
pulled the trigger on a 50 cal desert eagle precisely once. my hand hurt for half an hour.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Dawai semi auto 12 ga ( now banned in Oz) weighs about as much a a packet of smokes, crunch off a few in a row wearing a T-shirt and see how ya get on :lolno:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

thecroweater wrote:Dawai semi auto 12 ga ( now banned in Oz) weighs about as much a a packet of smokes, crunch off a few in a row wearing a T-shirt and see how ya get on :lolno:
That the browsing auto5 clone? My grandpa had a Belgium proof marked auto5. Not a pleasant one to shoot either.

Deo Vendice

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Deerhunter wrote:I love my Thompson Center Contender single shot 30-30. Also have the 12" 30-30 barrel with the muzzle break for the pistol grip. One heck of a kick on that baby. Both have 3x9 Leupold vari XIII scopes. Then again nothing like Belgium Browning A5 Light 12ga. Can't forget Matthews Z7. The toys fit the name.
+1 on the TCC 30-30. My dad was the best shot I ever knew, and we hunted many things every year. He paralyzed his leg one year and after that, had trouble getting out of the van quickly with the riffle when we would spot something close while driving. He bought the TCC 30-30 and after that when we saw something while driving, he’d just open the door or shoot out the window and drop it. My brother and I were kind of pissed, because he got much quicker on those opportunities when they occurred, and we get less of the “easy” shots.

My personal preference (right tool for the right job):
30-30 for deer - My old Marlin “gold trigger” lever action with a bushnell 4X. Older than me, and I broke my deer cherry with this guy.
.308 for far targets and elk - rem 700 police model with a 4-14X SA mill dot
.223 S&W M&P AR and .22 lr (Ruger 10-22) both steel sights, just for fun shooting and varmits
.45 ACP for home defense. SA-XD
.357 mag for hunting backup and backwoods miners and growers ;-). S&W model 19 revolver
12 ga mossberg pump police model for when I just need to work off some steam and wreck my shoulder

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

HDNB wrote:
jb-texshine wrote:
pulled the trigger on a 50 cal desert eagle precisely once. my hand hurt for half an hour.
A bit off thread but "triggered" a memory.
Back in the 90's I had a 45 Colt & 357 Mag S&W and shot steel plates & bowling pins in a club.
(if you've never shot pins, don't laugh)
Any way, safety first last and always. I was on deck my first day and started loading my pistol. Got my ass handed to me QUICK
One of the guys - a long standing member - was shooting his Desert Eagle and it was jamming on him.
He asked the Range Master for permission and took it to the repair range facing opposite the shooting range.
A few minutes later, while everyone was watching the shooter, we all hear a - don't know how to spell it.
Here's the closest thing I could find on youtube. But it's a wimpy 9mm compared to the sound of a 50 cal magazine being unloaded immediately

Needless to say, it got everyone's attention!
EVERYTHING came to a stop. He walked back to the range with a real sheepish :oops: look on his face.
"Sorry. I found the problem"
He caught some good natured shit the rest of the day.
SAFETY! SAFETY! SAFETY!
Last edited by TDick on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

jb-texshine wrote:
ehh!!!
mine don`t kick a bit
shoot 240 grain hornadys with red dot powder and shoots like a dream
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Henry .357 Lever to match the S&W Model 19.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Got my '98 Mauser (Russian capture) on paper week before last . An undershooter at 30 yards , if you can believe . AR with a red dot is shooting better than I can .
My fallback is my Ruger 7mag with 3-9 glass on it until I get cattarrac correction surgery in December . You got to see where it's pointing to be able to shoot where it's looking .
I'm looking forward to shooting better post surgery .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

jb-texshine wrote:
thecroweater wrote:Dawai semi auto 12 ga ( now banned in Oz) weighs about as much a a packet of smokes, crunch off a few in a row wearing a T-shirt and see how ya get on :lolno:
That the browsing auto5 clone? My grandpa had a Belgium proof marked auto5. Not a pleasant one to shoot either.
yeah that's the one but it was too light unless ya got a damn thick suit coat
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I've fired it loaded with 3" Magnus at ducks an fired more than once due to recoil with it. Horrible. Super reliable but Damn...

Deo Vendice

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Since we're off track a bit on scatterguns, has anyone else had experience with the ATI O/U's? https://www.americantactical.us/4628/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I bought one in 12g last year and it's been a terrific buy at $580 OTD. I heard rumor that the parts are actually Benelli then assembled with hand cut Turkish walnut and reimported by ATI. Great quality, solid performer and downright pretty at 6-1/2#.

tp
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Soft batch wrote:Henry .357 Lever to match the S&W Model 19.
now ur talking :thumbup: