rifles

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Re: rifles

Post by TDick »

Not exactly On Topic, but thought I'd share.
I was in the Air Force ROTC in 1972, "just in case".
Can't say our inspections were like this.
Thank The Lord.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I am appalled at how many civilians were covered by the muzzle of that weapon.
be water my friend
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Bamaberry wrote:Not exactly On Topic, but thought I'd share.
I was in the Air Force ROTC in 1972, "just in case".
Can't say our inspections were like this.
Thank The Lord.
Man, does this bring back memories. I was also ROTC in college and on a rifle drill team, one of the top dril teams in the nation. That said, the inspection was a bit more intense than most I’ve experienced.

If those were like ours drill weapons, the pins were gone so no worry about injuring civilians, that is unless that thing slips loose and stabs someone. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I got a ChiCom SKS, off an on-line auction, three or four years ago...for under two hundred bucks!...what can I say , it was Christmas time and I was the only bidder...out of the box the best shooting rifle I own. At 150 yards, a 10 shot group that would fit into a Dixie cup. I have a WW2 bolt action .303 Lee Enfield...just like the ANZAC's took to war...just like Dear old Dad's, except he was a Bren-gunner. (wish I had a Bren Gun) this makes the 7.62 x 39's look like shooting girly guns! AND it can reach out and touch a target at over a thousand yards! I've home built a couple of AK 47's. They were fun to put together and to shoot...I saw the prices that the AK kits are going for today...I could crap brass! They're over a grand a pop...and that's with out the barrels!...sure glad I'm not starting to get into that game now. On the wish list...I saw the movie Wind River recently...the hero has a Marlin Model 1895SBL chambered in .45-70...HOLY SHI# that beast makes the .303 Lee Enfield look like a girly gun! and it's only about...completely out of my price range! So keep dreaming Kiwi!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

My hunting rifle is a Winchester model 88 .308 given to me by my dad.
I recently inherited a sporterized German Mauser that started out as a sniper rifle in world war II. It was brought back from
Germany by my dad's hunting partner who was a bomber pilot. He had it converted to 30.06 due to lack of ammunition at the time
but it retains the original Mauser action and dual trigger setup. Also still has the original scope used by the sniper. The hair trigger
has an incredibly light pull. Amazing gun.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Bammaberry, perfect example of smokeless powder used in a black powder firearm.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

sltm1 wrote:Bammaberry, perfect example of smokeless powder used in a black powder firearm.
the article states that that particular model muzzle loader was designed to use smokeless powder
be water my friend
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I'd like one of these ! ! ! And the SMG :lol:
Attachments
Lady Cop w Ratmil.jpg
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I've got a few guns. Still got my first, a Savage 93 22rm got it for Christmas when I was 7 I think. Few yrs later got a single shot cooey 20ga still got that as well, wish I had the rabbit and grouse I've shot with that one. Got a 12ga same make and model. A Mossberg reserve 12ga over/under. A savage 22-250, and a Remington semi 12ga. When my grandfather passed away i was left a 30-30 lever, and a mint Remington 11-87 semi 12ga.

Best all around? Hard to beat a 12ga for that
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Recently got a 721 Remington .270 Winchester that I didn't want because of the way I got it .
My Dad bought it new in 1954 in Dillon , CO to replace the 98K 8mm that had failed him miserably hunting in the high mountains . When that rifle spoke in Jack O'Conner's
favorite caliber you better have your skinning knife sharp . There was gonna be meat to process .
Loaned through 3 generations it has become legendary as a one shot rifle .
Dad always handed it out with the admonition ,"I been shootin it once to get my meat . Don't you teach it any bad habits ."
Next year I'm going to ask gen 4 (my oldest grandson ) to take it out and not teach it any bad habits .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

My boss has a Model 70 Winchester in .270 and has harvested many a deer and pig with it though his lifetime. He says it is his go to rifle when something needs a hole put in it. Shoots a 130 grain spitzer with 59 grains of IMR 4831.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

corene1 wrote:My boss has a Model 70 Winchester in .270 and has harvested many a deer and pig with it though his lifetime. He says it is his go to rifle when something needs a hole put in it. Shoots a 130 grain spitzer with 59 grains of IMR 4831.
That's a good load corene but the darn .270 is so versatile that I've stopped loading for my M70 that I've had since I was a little kid. Switched to Walmart Remington 150 grain round nosed Core-Lokts. Groups well and things still go bang flop. :thumbup:
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

308 is for deer. And favorite round. 300 short mag 4 elk. .40 is the side arm. As well asakel-tek sub 2000 in .40 as well.
Amazon sells red and green flashlights with attachments to mount to your scope and a thumb trigger. For shooting possums Coons and coyotes at night
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

MM-Brew wrote:308 is for deer. And favorite round. 300 short mag 4 elk. .40 is the side arm. As well asakel-tek sub 2000 in .40 as well.
Amazon sells red and green flashlights with attachments to mount to your scope and a thumb trigger. For shooting possums Coons and coyotes at night
You have a Kel-Tek sub 2000...just saw one at the Gun show...I like the look and feel of it...and the price !

How do you like it ? how does it shoot ?
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Ben Stiller.
Dam, that old German K-98 Sniper Rifle would have been best left untouched. Maybe about 5 Gs now.
I have 3 K-98s but what you described was a HI dollar rifle.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

.44 rem mag for deer and bear
a good old .30-06 for moose
.22 lr for rabbit coon squirrel whatever
and any bolt rifle for road hunting (over.30 cal up here)
i love a .44
knocks the ass off a deer or bear at 50 yards
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

More guns than I care to admit,some I built with the help of a gunsmith friend. Currently building a micro mauser 7.62x39 but got a cva scout v2 pistol for Christmas in .243
Got my eyes on a siamese mauser in 45/70 at the local gun shop rt now also.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
MM-Brew wrote:308 is for deer. And favorite round. 300 short mag 4 elk. .40 is the side arm. As well asakel-tek sub 2000 in .40 as well.
You have a Kel-Tek sub 2000...just saw one at the Gun show...I like the look and feel of it...and the price !

How do you like it ? how does it shoot ?
ITs AWESOME :!: :!: :!: :!: I call it my backpack gun. I got it chambered for a Glock 22 (.40 Cal and side arm) Its pretty accurate out to almost 100 yd. The buffer spring make a unique sound. Then only down side is that I do go through ammo quickly with it. If you run out of ammo during the zombie apocalypse you can use it as club pretty easy LOL
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I like the idea of it taking the glock 22 mags that match the pistol
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

they offer 30 round mags for the Glock 22
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Hi guys, chasing a bit of advise here pertaining to shotguns rather than actually rifles.
As a lot of you might know Oz have a few crackpot gun laws regarding shotguns, that is semiautomatic and pump action guns are effectively banned under most firearm license categories any normal person can obtain. I do have an old as dirt ultra rare Rohan Viking double barrel shotgun but as this is made of Damascus steel in the days of black powder I have to be somewhat cautious what loads I'm using. That's fine for bunnies and small game at close range and a damn pain with multiple targets. Years ago I did consider getting a ICA, Chiappa etc 1887 clone but the early models had issues and with that sorted it might be an option now. Other than that if been looking at various side ejector tube fed lever actions like Adler, Pardus and Uzkon etc with their various rear side and front con rods. Then there is a mag fed pardus ( LAX12mf) that seems to mitigate some of the inherent tube fed issues. I didn't really have a lot of interest in the straight pull selection as it seemed like a pump with the pump action moved to just behind the bolt. Today I checked some out and even though you do have to move your hand from the trigger to manually eject and reload it wasn't as unerganomic as I imagined, it's just a pity there are all designed to be activated by the trigger hand and not with the front idle hand.
Has anyone messed with these various systems or have an opinion on which one is preferable
Attachments
Breech fed 1887 Chiappa
Breech fed 1887 Chiappa
Adler tube fed
Adler tube fed
LAX12mf
LAX12mf
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'd fight shy of that detachable mag fed model . The other two look doable . I've swung many a lever gun in my years with positive results .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Just picked up a Bushmaster BR .308 AR 10 . Rounds out a quad package acclimated to my ATN HD ii 5x20 day/night scope . Railed a 10-22 Ruger , 721 Rem in .270 Win , AR 15 .223 .
Should be good from close range rat shooting to large varmints to 800 yds .
IR for night work is very intriguing .
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

I expect it matters what yer using your rifle (or handgun, or shotgun) for, don't it? I have a nice Browning (semi) automatic in '06 that I hunt with and recently got an M1 Garand to have fun with. My .556 AR gets a lot of target use and maybe a hog now n then. Sometimes a bolt action Remington in 300 Savage but one of my 22's, either the single shot Mossberg or the semi auto Ted Williams is fun. Got an 1898 bicycle rifle that is a real conversation starter. Shotguns are fun and I got a couple, but don't see much use. More handguns than I can count, from .22 to .45 long Colt just in case I need one, from a 2 inch pocket gun to an 8inch "hand cannon." Never who ya might meet... And hell, I just like guns. :D :ebiggrin: :wtf:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Might take back what I said about straight pulls being clumsy

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

20180925_192037-600x800.jpg
This is the build I did a few weeks ago. 300blk. Cereckoted the lower reciver, it is a little sloppy but not bad for my first go at it.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

rubber duck wrote: not bad for my first go at it.
rd...that's a very fine looking firearm, did you build it using an 80% finished receiver?
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Yes it's on an 80% reciver. I use a 5d tactical jig these days, they are expensive compared to other options but once you use one you will throw away your other jigs. It's pretty simple to use and I can mill a reciver in around 30 minutes.

I think the total parts cost on this rifle is 400 ish dollars and I could one for 300 dollars if I went with some cheaper parts.

The tools cost some money but if your going to own more then on ar15 it's better to build your own from the ground up.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

New addition to my cabinet
Wickliffe '76 Falling block single chambered in .223 made by Triple S development Co (now defunct,since early 80's)
Attachments
20181006_141224.jpg
20181006_141219.jpg
It is what you make it