drugs

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

drugs

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Guys,

First, I think all drugs should be legal and I think we should start with the heavy ones first. It's my opinion that you can't force people to be wise with their minds and bodies simply by passing a law. I further believe that law enforcement attempts to get rid of drugs do more harm to society and our liberties than any good they can ever do. I also feel that it's in the best interest of the State to keep drugs readily available so that the minds of the citizenry will be dulled which helps the State maintain their status quo.

Having said that...

This is not the proper place to discuss drugs and their creation or extraction. I'm sure there are many places online where you can go discuss your favorite habits and draw law enforcement attention to yourselves with other people who are willing to ingest butane and so on in whatever amounts; frankly I'm not impressed and I think people should be more wise with their bodies.

This isn't happy buzztown or a venue for narcotic users. It's a place for mature adults who are interested in distillation of alcohol to discuss the theory and processes involved.

As my grandma always said, "A word to the wise is sufficient."
Last edited by Uncle Jesse on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

Also, making drug use legal would save the government a lot of money. Law enforcement could go and do something worthwhile (like eat a few more donuts :wink: ) instead of chasing down everybody and their brother for doing something I believe is stupid. And, we'd save money by not putting so many people in prison, which, I believe, costs the government around $30,000 (?) per year per inmate.

Just my two cents here.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

The money saved on finding and processing drug users doesn't even take into account the money to be made by taxing all the substances! Pot in BC (cananda) is known by the government to bring in 3 times the income that logging does (the next leading export.) If the government taxed it....Our province would have WAY more cash to play with....
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Fair call, Uncle Jesse.

Apologies for my part in it. Won't happen again.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Yep

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Drugs are just another excuse to bolster State power. In my lifetime it's gone from communism to drugs to terrorism.

Gotta have a good issue for a politician to stump on and sound serious about. Of course they gotta pass newer and harsher laws or else they're open to attack by an opponent in the next election.

It's not a coincidence that with around 9 million people in prison worldwide, 2 million of them are in the United States.
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

I agree that we, as a nation, should de-criminalize drugs. However; I could understand a public safety exemption on antibiotics. Unlike recreational drugs, mis-use and over-use of antibiotics poses a true public safety risk, even with the controls in place now they are way over used and we are paying the price in drug resistant disease and infectious bugs.

That being said I don't partake in recreational drugs aside from alcohol and tobacco. Not that I have a particular aversion to others' interest in them but I just don't want to start down that road personally. The laws in the US are fairly draconian and I wouldn't want to risk my freedom for a buzz.

I know that I've been one of those participating in the THC discussions but it is actually just from a point of curiosity. No reason to lie about that being anonymous and in a forum discussing an activity that is not legal here anyway.

Per your request, naturally, I will not discuss that topic any further. Sorry for any discomfort the conversations may have caused.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Guys

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Don't mean to sound like I'm mad or something guys, just a request and I don't mean to sound harsh or point any fingers at anyone.

Personally I really enjoy the community that hangs out here.
cannon.co.tn
Swill Maker

Post by cannon.co.tn »

I didn't take it like you were pointing fingers at all. To extend the current analogy, I have lots of friends who use, but I wouldn't let it happen AT my house. Same thing here. This is your community and when I visit other people's home I like to obey the house rules. "Read the wiki first" comes to mind around here! :D
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Yeah, no offence taken by me either, UJ. You were right to call us on that one. Like you said, there are plenty of other sites to discuss green related stuff.

And like cannon said, it is your 'house', and I like visiting, so am happy to follow your rules.

Cheers.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

HookLine wrote:Yeah, no offence taken by me either, UJ. You were right to call us on that one. Like you said, there are plenty of other sites to discuss green related stuff.

And like cannon said, it is your 'house', and I like visiting, so am happy to follow your rules.

Cheers.

Yairsss, I agree with Hook. I also, will respect your rules.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Rotgut
Bootlegger

Post by Rotgut »

Its seems I've been gone a while and missed something interesting again. :(
Skymeat
Novice

Post by Skymeat »

Last time I heard any stats... the US had more people in prison per capita than any other country.

Land of the free? We're just in another cycle of the have and have not with modern technology.
I may be surrounded by insanity but I am not insane!
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

You sure do. Around 750 per 100 000, including the highest rates of child incarceration. The next closest is Russia around 550. Australia is way down at around 130.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Prisons are big business in the U.S. We've farmed a lot of it out to private corporations who are profit-driven. They get money for housing inmates and they use inmates for cheap labor. If you call many major airlines in the States to book a flight, for example, you're probably talking to an inmate in prison.

I'd say this puts the incentive in the wrong place, personally. I find it unremarkable and not very surprising that the prison population is continuing to grow.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

HookLine wrote: Australia is way down at around 130.

Nearly all of em Aboriginals :oops:
Butch50
Swill Maker

Post by Butch50 »

Crime pays in America - but not to the criminals. A few years ago I had a close relative that was arrested for a misdemeanor drug charge. This relative called me and asked me to go the bail, which I did.

I quickly discovered that there is a "machine" for stripping money from the families of the accused. It starts with trying to park near a courthouse - pakring is expensive. Bail bond is expensive. Attorneys are expensive. The inmates are only allowed to make collect calls - and the fees are about twice what a collect call normally costs. Inmates are only allowed to purchase items from the prison canteen - things like tooth brushes etc - and they are priced at about twice the normal price on the street. Then there are innumberable court fees and court costs. Then there are fees to be paid while on probation. Just driving by a courthouse you can see what I am talking about by reading the signs. Don't forget the meter maids that are collecting continuously and the police whose only real jobs are to write tickets. As already mentioned, prisons are rapidly becoming "for profit" institutions - and that is a completly scary thought.
Banjos and Whisky, Down On The River Bank
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Butch50 wrote:Don't forget the meter maids that are collecting continuously and the police whose only real jobs are to write tickets.
Around here we call the two women whose sole purpose is to insure they will get a paycheck "meter Nazi's"... One look at their outfits, not to mention their personalities, or lack thereof, and you'd know why...

You're 100% correct regarding the judicial money machine... Cha-Ching...!!!
Butch50
Swill Maker

Post by Butch50 »

Here is a report that claims that more than 1 out of every 100 Americans are currently behind bars.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03016.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Banjos and Whisky, Down On The River Bank
lovebeer
Novice

Post by lovebeer »

cannon.co.tn wrote:I agree that we, as a nation, should de-criminalize drugs. However; I could understand a public safety exemption on antibiotics. Unlike recreational drugs, mis-use and over-use of antibiotics poses a true public safety risk, even with the controls in place now they are way over used and we are paying the price in drug resistant disease and infectious bugs.

That being said I don't partake in recreational drugs aside from alcohol and tobacco. Not that I have a particular aversion to others' interest in them but I just don't want to start down that road personally. The laws in the US are fairly draconian and I wouldn't want to risk my freedom for a buzz.

I know that I've been one of those participating in the THC discussions but it is actually just from a point of curiosity. No reason to lie about that being anonymous and in a forum discussing an activity that is not legal here anyway.

Per your request, naturally, I will not discuss that topic any further. Sorry for any discomfort the conversations may have caused.
tabacco and alcohol are the most dangerous drugs. tabacco kills 450,000 in america alone and booze kills 150,000 excluding drunk driving accidents. (course i still love alcohol) cocaine and heroin only kill 10,000 per year and pot has killed 0 people. prohibtion is all about money. you would think the gov. would profit from the taxation and less incaration legalization would cause, but it is actuallly a net loss for them. butch is completely right. btw 1.2 million non violent drug users are in jail right now. i don't think all drugs should be legal, i think all drugs should be decriminalized, except for pot, which b/c of its zero chance of lethality should be legal. tabacco should be criminalized. treatment should be a punishment for addiction to drugs rather than incareration.
Last edited by lovebeer on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumbaba
Swill Maker

Post by rumbaba »

rad14701 wrote:
Butch50 wrote:Don't forget the meter maids that are collecting continuously and the police whose only real jobs are to write tickets.
Around here we call the two women whose sole purpose is to insure they will get a paycheck "meter Nazi's"... One look at their outfits, not to mention their personalities, or lack thereof, and you'd know why...

You're 100% correct regarding the judicial money machine... Cha-Ching...!!!
It does not matter what you do, there is ALWAYS somebody with their hand out. The guvmint takes more than their fair share, and now you can even stay at home to have people ring you to sollicit money. I reckon in this day and age it cost $50 just to walk out your front door, with parking and whatever bullshit fees/fines/charges have been applied.
trthskr4
Distiller

Re: drugs

Post by trthskr4 »

"Fees" are much simpler to institute and increase than taxes. By law a tax must be voted on by the people, although politicians are finding ways around that one these days also. Fees can be instituted by decree or executive orders with only the law makers approval. And to think the Revolutionary War was basically started over what a 5% tax, I may be wrong but I don't think it's that far off. I liked Mel Gibson's character response in "The Patriot", "why should I trade 1 tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants 1 mile away. I say it's getting bad here in the good ol' US of A but it could be worse, Darfur, Iraq, Tibet, and several others that slip the mind now. Been samplin. I do love the Prime Minister or Pres. of Australia's way of talking, "This is Australia, don't come here tryin to change her." He's proud of his country, you can't show much pride in America these days or someone will try to stone you or cut you. I hope I didn't cross the "Politics" line with this one.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
alchead
Novice

should be legal

Post by alchead »

laws are meant to protect people not do the opposite,(drugs being legal fewer people would OD if substance strength was monitured and purity etc) protect and serve should be changed to something else in accordance with the actual motifs behide the legislations they inforce haha, (i tryed my best to refrained from talking anything political as it wouldn't be good to get enemies from my first post(plus if i recall correctly its against d rules of the form, bt with a topic bwt a law as stupid as prohibition it gets tempting haha.
Love the site by the way, got a kinda site inspired potato-wheat-sugar sour mash bubbling away, many cheers, love hw the infos out there even for none members, been reading for a few weeks, it was jst to gud nt to join,
soon as i've learned more and had a few more successful distillings i look forward to hopefully contributing.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

I thought this sticky was meant to discourage (stop?) discussions about drugs, their use, manufacture or legal status?

Please...lock'er down...and go make some booze...
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Good suggestion.

Locked down.