Fishing & Shrimping

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Fishing & Shrimping

Post by Bushman »

Sorry OMD that your area has so few openings. Today in the shed rather than working on stillin I am gearing up my shrimping and halibut gear as May is the start of both. Shrimping this year we have three four day openings so will be spending my Wednesday -Saturdays out at my friends cabin in the San Juans that is 5 minutes to the shrimping area and about a 45 minute to an hour run to the Halibut banks.
Coyote
retired

Re: Fishing & Shrimping

Post by Coyote »

Rub that in will ya!
Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
35mastr
Bootlegger

Post by 35mastr »

Salmon season just opened here and they are getting limits before noon
Don't just throw it together. Take the time to build it right....
stxhunter
Novice

Post by stxhunter »

Good Luck
God bless Texas-----------------------
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Every lake near me still has over a foot of ice on them yet! Enjoy your fishing!
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I can eat my weight in shrimp. Wife won't go to an all you can eat shrimp fest. If she does she brings a book. No kiddn.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Jet setting around the country, distillery tours, cruises, and now fishing!. Your life must suck bushman! :lol: . Mmm shrimp, love shrimp!, we get big freshwater shrimp in north aus here, best I've ever had!. What type do you get bushman, was just looking at the varieties you have there, lots of them!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Round where I live now, we buy our shrimp off the back of a converted school bus. I spent my late teens and early adult life living about 1/4 mile from a huge fleet of shrimp boats. Some things you just fail to consider when you move away from the coast.

My older brother's best friend's parents ran the processing facility for the shrimping fleet. He would go down to the packing house and score 2 five lb boxes of shrimp for $5. Mamma would steam them with Old Bay seasoning and serve them in a big family style bowl in the middle of the table. She made fresh yeast rolls and fresh cut french fried potatoes. We would eat shrimp til we couldn't stuff another one in our mouth.

Damn, I like me some shrimp.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Here is how I am setting up my pots, they go in 450' of water so I use a puller with 600' of line. When processing the shrimp the heads get dunked in fish oil and go in a mesh bag for mooching halibut. My pots are commercial and weigh about 35 lbs. I use a 5 lb drag anchor. Usually on a 4 day opening in Washington we are allowed 80 shrimp per person per day. You can use 2 pots per person with a maximum 4 pots on your boat. In Canada you are allowed 200 shrimp per person per day. I am usually in a heavier current area than the protected waters Olympic MountainDew fishes.
image.jpg
The spot prawns (shrimp) are between 7-9" in our area.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Are you saying 7 inch -9 inch shrimp? In my neck of the woods we call that lobster. WOW!
White_Lightning_Rod
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by White_Lightning_Rod »

rockchucker22 wrote:Wow 9" that is huge! Yum yum yum!
Thats what she said LOL LOL

sorry couldn't help myself
HD forum, the best damn group of criminals and outlaws you'll ever meet.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

:( :( :( You guys are making me feel soooo uncultured and deprived :( I'm gonna develop a complex and have to have therapy because I don't have the privilege of sharing such bounty .
I'm back in my corner now . Curled in a fetal position while rubbing my nose with a corner of my comfort blanket and lamenting how poorly life has been to me :moresarcasm:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Spot shrimp get up to 10" but I usually get them in the 7-9" range. Depending on where you live some call them prawns.
Truckinbutch
You guys are making me feel soooo uncultured and deprived I'm gonna develop a complex and have to have therapy because I don't have the privilege of sharing such bounty .
I'm back in my corner now . Curled in a fetal position while rubbing my nose with a corner of my comfort blanket and lamenting how poorly life has been to me
Since I've retired it has become my full time job feeding the family!
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Don't forget to tell them that crabbing opens in a couple of months bushy..
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Stainless dude wrote:Don't forget to tell them that crabbing opens in a couple of months bushy..
Yep, starting to collect crab bait and July Salmon opens up.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

I've had a busy week Bushman this is the first chance I've had to relax a bit. I am sitting at the computer looking at the most beautiful sight that one can imagine. The snow capped Olympics, with only about a 25% snow cap for this time of the year I might add. I can't quite see the waters of Hood Canal but I can see the early morning fog layer rising from it. The most beautiful thing about the view from OMD mountain is what I can't see......buildings or any sort of civilization, if I look to my right out the side window I can see the lake with a few houses on it but other than that it's Mt Rainier and the Cascades in that direction sorry for the rant but damn I never get tired of where I live, except for the chuck holes that is. Mornins like this allways make it worth putting up with a little rain and snow. You're right Bushman the shrimp openings are few and super crowded down here. I have to drive about an hour and a half North to launch then run about an hour to be in the Islands but it is doable. That's why I have Geoduck on the menu this season, I'll do some crabbing but believe it or not I'm about full of crab, I counted the other day and still have 8 pint size containers of crab meat in the freezer. Anyhow have fun and good fishin to ya Bushman. :thumbup:
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
wilded
Novice

Post by wilded »

Any of you guys get to Central Texas in the fall and I would sure trade some venison and lamb for some shrimp and crab. :mrgreen:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

wilded wrote:Any of you guys get to Central Texas in the fall and I would sure trade some venison and lamb for some shrimp and crab. :mrgreen:
Was in San Antonio last fall!
OMD, frozen crab as you know isn't as good but when you get a lot of it that's what you have to do. My wife makes them into crab cakes and also makes a crab dip so it helps.
wilded
Novice

Post by wilded »

Crawfish or :shock: Mountain oysters is about as close to the coast as we get these days.
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

halfbaked wrote:I can eat my weight in shrimp. Wife won't go to an all you can eat shrimp fest. If she does she brings a book. No kiddn.
".....Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it.

Dey's uh, ...shrimp-kabobs, ...shrimp creole, ...shrimp gumbo, ...pan fried, ...deep fried, ...stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, ...lemon shrimp, ...coconut shrimp, ...pepper shrimp, ...shrimp soup, ...shrimp stew, ...shrimp salad, ...shrimp and potatoes, ...shrimp burger, ...shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it." So says Bubba Blue, anyway.

p.s.
He left out shrimp cocktail, shrimp cakes, ebi nigiri sushi, shrimp ceviche, and plain ol' peel & eat. :mrgreen:
"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

The girlfriend has me shinin up the shrimp gear, she wants to go shrimpin so guess I'll have to go, oh well I guess she could have a worse request.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I miss trips to Swiftsure and Hood Canal shrimp and oysters. You can keep the rain though.

tp
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Bushman wrote:Saturdays out at my friends cabin in the San Juans
We used to deer hunt on Shaw Island back in the late 50s.

Huge ass storm came came up and shut down the ferrys for a few days. Not much on the islands back then. We found a shack that had some bags of dried lima beans in the kitchen. Ate 'em breakfast lunch & dinner for three days.

Still don't like lima beans. :) :) :roll:

FMH
Blah, blah, blah,........
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:
Bushman wrote:Saturdays out at my friends cabin in the San Juans
We used to deer hunt on Shaw Island back in the late 50s.

Huge ass storm came came up and shut down the ferrys for a few days. Not much on the islands back then. We found a shack that had some bags of dried lima beans in the kitchen. Ate 'em breakfast lunch & dinner for three days.

Still don't like lima beans. :) :) :roll:

FMH
Bet ya had fun!!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

You fellers make me feel seafood deprived. Having lived on the FL east coast for 16 years, this thread is pure torture. Man, what I would give right now for big bowl of hot conch chowder and a plate of red snapper with sides of slaw and hush puppies.

TB, I feel your pain man.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Well S-C if you're ever up in this neck of the woods stop on by, I'll throw another shrimp on the Barbie for ya. Other wise I'll just have to eat a few for ya. We're goin on May 7th Bushman will proly be out on the 1st.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Had fresh caught shrimp this time last year over in Port Townsend, Wa. They tasted, I kid you not, like Maine lobsters.

Your living the dream Bushman!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

FreeMountainHermit, I pilot my boat all the time past Shaw Island but have never stopped as they don't really have public moorage nor do they have a good cove for anchorage. Never quite figured out how they got the Washington State Ferry to make regular stops on the island. I am out at the northern most island in the San Juan's before you get to the gulf islands of Canada. Where I halibut fish I anchor and am close to the border of both Canada & US so I buy a license for both areas. The problem is if I drift fish I don't have to clear customs but once I put down my anchor I have to clear customs both in Canada and then again back in the US even if I never would have set foot on Canadian soil.

S-Crackalacky I had some pretty fair seafood last month in your neck of the woods!

bearriver if you ever get back near Port Townsend they have one of 2 wooden boat building schools in the US, pretty neat tour.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Bushman wrote:if you ever get back near Port Townsend they have one of 2 wooden boat building schools in the US, pretty neat tour.
I'll be back, and will absolutely check that out. I'm certain that I saw the place last time. :ebiggrin: I stayed practically next door for a weekend in the brick whore house they renovated into a hotel. Those boats are pure artwork.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Hey Bushman, How deep do you normally shrimp? I'm setting up my pots I've got 350' of line on a couple and 400' on a couple more, seems to me we used to do pretty well at even 250'. OMD