Selling still heads and condensers legal in Canada?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Selling still heads and condensers legal in Canada?

Post by CanadianBacon »

Is selling copper still towers and condensers publicly online legal in Canada? Lets say like on ebay or locally, Dose anyone know?
FtW
Novice

Re: Selling still heads and condensers legal in Canada?

Post by FtW »

They sell the turbo 500 boiler & column/condenser at Bosagrape supplies in Burnaby (legit business), listed as separate items. As long as it's a water distiller it must be OK if they carry them.

I know I'd like to see a reasonably priced copper still head & condenser on CL or something local in the lower mainland.
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

FtW wrote:They sell the turbo 500 boiler & column/condenser at Bosagrape supplies in Burnaby (legit business), listed as separate items. As long as it's a water distiller it must be OK if they carry them.

I know I'd like to see a reasonably priced copper still head & condenser on CL or something local in the lower mainland.

I think the price of my copper head still way around 300$ so i see why there pricey online, the boilers is what kills your tho. especially to Canada its almost 200$ shipping for a boiler.
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

Research the Exise Act => Any part of a still is ILLEGAL

however unlike the US, there is no requirement to record sales.

And shops can probably sell it - just like the US - it is possession that is an issue
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

FtW wrote:They sell the turbo 500 boiler & column/condenser at Bosagrape supplies in Burnaby (legit business), listed as separate items. As long as it's a water distiller it must be OK if they carry them.

canada home brew supplies in brampton has one of those things also ... dunno if it is legal ... probably nobody cares ... they have massage parlors offering extras around there so probably not ... lol
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
FtW
Novice

Post by FtW »

Close to US cost at the places selling them wouldn't be bad without the extra shipping & customs/duty, you are right about the shipping, a year or 2 ago shipping cost to Canada kinda went through the roof.
I sometimes see decent deals for parts on CL & stuff, but rarely. Stills/parts are few & far between locally listed, & more often than not they are overpriced for what it is.

Thinking of adding a 4" section to my column for some plates, but then not sure if my condenser would be able to keep up, have to try it & see. If not, a decent copper head & condenser would be on the shopping list.
Michaeln416
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Michaeln416 »

I bought a stainless steel still from an online shop in Canada. I also purchased a copper still from the USA and had it shipped across the border and clear through Customs without an issue. So clearly purchasing one isn't a problem.
Having fun and great success sprouting/roasting/smoking my own malted barley
I brew in 50L batches using local natural spring water and fresh baker's yeast
8 Gallon SS Reflux Still for neutral & 20 Gallon Copper Pot Still for everything else
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Problem or not, the excise act is pretty clear that it is illegal. You can read it for free.........