missing members

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

missing members

Post by googe »

I know this has been covered many times, butbut really miss there input. Where do they go?, into the distilling blackhole :?

Guitar master
Froozenthunderbolt
Dunderhead
Samohan
Mashrookie
Bellybuster
Tater
OlddoGdoG
Usage
I really wish I was around in them times :thumbdown: .
thAnks for sticking around pp and rad :thumbup:
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: missing members

Post by moosemilk »

Tater is still around I know that much. He just posted in the help HD financially thread.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

The story on mash rookie is actually one of the most bizarre, and the saddest, you'll ever hear. He was a rare creature, go to any length for the cause and the community, call Bullshit in a heartbeat when something didn't smell right. I miss him a lot, often wonder how he's getting along. Bushman might have an update. Here is his signoff post: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=39299.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

I just feel lucky to have been here long enough to have been able to read some of the posts of all these good fellas. As life always does priorities and even age takes it's toll on good friends, however if you just take the time to filter through all of that great information is still here documented to stand still in time for all to gain knowledge from. I know that folks across the world are sick and tired of hearing read, read, read, but the true fact of the matter is the real knowledge and learning from this forum comes from just that. As you read and study all of these great folks that have been mentioned here will become very apparent to you as they have to the ones of us that were here to read it when they posted it. You will even find others that stick out from many, many years ago. I will guarantee you that if you just start reading you will end up with a far greater knowledge of the hobby and a far better understanding of who the greats were from our hobbies past. To all the older guy's that for whatever reason no longer come, We miss you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GreenCu
Novice

Post by GreenCu »

skow69 wrote:The story on mash rookie is actually one of the most bizarre, and the saddest, you'll ever hear. He was a rare creature, go to any length for the cause and the community, call Bullshit in a heartbeat when something didn't smell right. I miss him a lot, often wonder how he's getting along. Bushman might have an update. Here is his signoff post: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=39299.
I'm wondering if anyone has heard any followup about Mash Rookie?

Given his popularity on this forum, and his major work of contribution, did the group do anything for him? I come from an old time mining camp/community where victims like this sometimes benefited from a 'passing of the hat' within the community. In this instance, the 'pass the hat' could be facilitated globally from a forum like this with a simple button, and PayPal link. If such a 'button' were to appear, I'd tag it with a few bucks. Bet that would help Mash Rookie feel a little love, and if he's still alive, give him a smile.

Just a thought
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I live 1-1/2 hours from MR but only 5 minutes from my mother in laws. When he was first diagnosed with ALS he asked me not to call or contact him until he is ready. We have had several emails but they usually end early as I believe it is hard for him to type. My last contact he could still walk around but he said it takes two hands to raise a spoon. When I am in the area without stopping at his house I drive by and he is often in his living room window seated. He has a son and daughter that I have met but have know way to contact them to keep up on his health. He posted on the forum for the first time about a month ago.

On another note I also miss the in put from:
Blind drunk
Rubber Duck
Myles

I learned a lot communicating with those 3 guys when I first started my journey into this hobby.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

moosemilk wrote:Tater is still around I know that much. He just posted in the help HD financially thread.
I'm around try to get on at least once a day doing admin work. .Dont post as often as I first did 12 years ago. :mrgreen: Seems I've told about all I know.Several times :esurprised: I feel really lucky to have met and discussed stilling with those mentioned and others that weren't.I to miss members who have left for whatever reason but am glad they left their knowledge here for rest of us to read .Am also glad to see the new info thats came about over time.From the start of this forum and others Id bet the advancement of techniques in home distilling have leaped by years to what it was before.I just feel lucky to be here. :thumbup:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Brendan
Rumrunner

Post by Brendan »

GreenCu wrote:
skow69 wrote:The story on mash rookie is actually one of the most bizarre, and the saddest, you'll ever hear. He was a rare creature, go to any length for the cause and the community, call Bullshit in a heartbeat when something didn't smell right. I miss him a lot, often wonder how he's getting along. Bushman might have an update. Here is his signoff post: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=39299.
I'm wondering if anyone has heard any followup about Mash Rookie?

Given his popularity on this forum, and his major work of contribution, did the group do anything for him? I come from an old time mining camp/community where victims like this sometimes benefited from a 'passing of the hat' within the community. In this instance, the 'pass the hat' could be facilitated globally from a forum like this with a simple button, and PayPal link. If such a 'button' were to appear, I'd tag it with a few bucks. Bet that would help Mash Rookie feel a little love, and if he's still alive, give him a smile.

Just a thought
+1 Great idea, and very thoughtful GreenCu...
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Mash rookie's influence was one that helped take me from a fairly basic pot stiller to where I am now, Just prior to his diagnosis he was talking about coming over here and to met up with a group of us. I can't stress enough how much myself , EG and others were looking forward to that possibility as is the regard he is held in here. It was with some relief I saw his post a few weeks back and hope things are as well as they can be for him, I often check to see when he logged in :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

He was/is a fairly well known glassblower/fabricator/artist. When I travelled he asked me several times once in Portland and once in Hawaii to go into certain galleries and see how his work was being presented. Another fact some of you may not know is he had a patient on a design to hold lights in glass chandeliers that was copied by the Chinese. That is one of the reasons I believe he was so critical about stills imported or not giving credit to the original designer.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Tells me this craft/hobby ain't no joke ..Real people, real lives, real feelings.
I often go back and re-read posts from 'missing' members that helped me 'cut my teeth' here when I was a professional lurker ..Times are a changen ..The newbies and future newbies (current lurkers)
will consider some of us to be very knowledgeable and helpful ..Everyone needs to 'step-up' to the the change ..The future is here every morning. :thumbup:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

A community that cares about it's members has been built here . A word wide community sharing several common goals . In light of the strife in the world today that in it's self is awesome .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I get an email from time to time from Rubber Duck. Last I heard he was doing good. Just busy. I thought about sending him an email the other day. Now I will.

I would really like to know how Dnderhead, Blanikdog and Samohon are doing?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Prairiepiss wrote:I get an email from time to time from Rubber Duck. Last I heard he was doing good. Just busy. I thought about sending him an email the other day. Now I will.

I would really like to know how Dnderhead, Blanikdog and Samohon are doing?
I've talked to dunder and blanikdog they are ok .Cant get hold of sam
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Nice to hear about Dnderhead and Blanikdog. But I don't like this Sam thing. I pray all is good.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Walkin Wolf's another member who contributed a lot that we don't see anymore!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

NC hooch
Bohunk
And the biggest one of all. Yes he was on the other day. But his posts are getting few and far between. Uncle Jesse.
I think I will send bohunk an email also.

I'm ashamed to say it. But there are many many more that have contributed quite a bit. Maybe even in a short time. But there is so much traffic here. They sometimes are forgot about. I know there are many others I should ask about. But where to start? And to make those that fall into this category. Feel left out. If they ever do read this stuff. Makes me sad.

Sory rambling one a bit. I hope the best for all our past present and future members.
Except for maybe that one guy. You know the one? Yeah that guy. :wink: :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
IrishEnigma
Swill Maker

Post by IrishEnigma »

idk about you guys but maybe season, repitition of reading and answering may be a factor.. i try to get on every day but I live in a seasonal place, and it tis the season right now. i know bb and tater were around before may/june because i read some of their posts and bb answered some questions for me.
IE
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Forgot bout dunder, blankidog!, dunder helped me alot reading his stuff, smart man!. liked walking wolfs posts too!, and theunholymakrel!. Was just thinking before,I used to be on a few fishing forums before I started distilling and rarely visit them anymore, would be the same for the ones here that done post anymore I guess, apart from age etc like cookey Said!. Some of the old post here are still ones I look at alot, they have alot of info that still applies now and still.learn something from them!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
IrishEnigma
Swill Maker

Post by IrishEnigma »

maybe a cool thread would be a hd veterans? i know i wouldnt be part of it but it would still be cool to read some of their posts, where only vets could post, whether it's about the weather, or the boots that's you're wearing.... or distilling...
IE
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

That's the Liar's Bench.

tp
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Mulekicker is one of my favorites but rarely posts anymore.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

I'm sure there is a cut-off point for many people, reading and trying to answer the same questions over and over again. 10,000 keg stills, 100,000 batches of UJSSM. Nothing personal, but it does get boring. Also this a hobby that may not last for some people. Personally, I don't know when the next time I distill will be, maybe never. I have re-thought my relationship to alcohol, and my relationship to the internet, along with many other things that I believe it is healthy to review once in a while. And HD, and distilling itself, as good and fun as they are, can only take you so far. Other, more challenging hobbies come along. So maybe that is what happens to some people. And that is besides all the convoluted, distracting and sometimes unpleasant shit that happens in people's lives. And I'm very sorry to hear what is up with Mashrookie. That is a cruel thing to happen, and I hope he is able to keep his chin up through it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I agree with PP, all the names mentioned are great and have contributed a lot, we have had so many great members that I could go back through the members list and probably fill a page with names. This is a fantastic forum and I am glad to be part of it!

Some of the names mentioned still get on the site but have taken a back seat which I understand after years of answering questions. I believe Mulekicker started a business and probably is preoccupied with that. Even though he sold controllers on here he was free with his advice if you wanted to build your own. People helping people that is what it's all about!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I have seen this same pattern in the other forums I have frequented in the past... I can still remember the first time a forum post was made in my software support forum to inform us of the passing of one of our most helpful contributors, as well as several others over the years... We weren't as secretive so word spread more readily than it does here... We were a tight knit bunch and we usually knew when someone was having real life issues... The relative anonymity here makes such information flow less likely...

I'm sure there are a few more names that could be added to those already mentioned...
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

As I am new and experience is limited everyone of those names has changed, touched or saved a life possibly all three. The flame of life flickers in the breeze, this site has done something greater than anyone person can, it has immortalized their words in their words, a record of time everlasting. I am great full to them and for them having never met but read their minds as they wanted a window into another otherwise sealed space. Having been in those shoes nearly dying from meningitis, the values of life change , the things we take for granted become our greatest priorities, what we held in highest regard may take the lowest rank to those most necessary. This is a cautionary tale to everyone here I implore you to live like you are dying, to say I love you more, and anger less. Life is fleeting don't let it pass you by as we can get lost in the rat race and not even know what the finish line is, pull over and live. Thanks to all those mentioned or not for your effect is great and never ending.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

Kiwistiller, what ever happened to him. I learnt alot from various posts of his.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

I'm not here as often, but I check in from time to time even if I don't comment on things as much — I think you are in good hands :). I miss the old coots too. And we've lost a few along the way...it's part of life but doesn't make it any easier. MR, if you read this, I wish you the best. I owe everything I know to this site and the people here who gave their knowledge and time and even their "secrets" freely. I wish you all the best!! Make what you like to drink. Pass it on. Happy stillin' !
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Been alot of smart folks sat on these Pepsi crates.
Alot of handles come an gone. Same with the lurkers.
Guess we all just tryin to pass it on.

So I'm tole
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Glad to see Junkyard Dog post again today as it has been several months!