What's for Sunday dinner?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SoMo
Distiller

What's for Sunday dinner?

Post by SoMo »

I will start with chicken leg quarters BBQ over some fresh oak wood and hickory from our property, new potatoes with fresh green beans and big ol chunks of fresh smoked ham and a jar of fresh pickled beets. Gonna be good, what are you having??
Attachments
image.jpg
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What's for Sunday dinner?

Post by Bigbob »

Ahh man that looks and sounds so good!!!! Unfortunely I'm having Papa Murphy's pizza since mom took the kid back to school shopping :problem:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Ham gravy over rice...a family favorite. Sounds weird but a great, easy dish.

Brown ham chunks in oil with a diced onion. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and garlic to taste and simmer for a half hour. Serve over a bed of white rice.

Try it before you say "eeeewwww". :thumbup:

tp
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

T-Pee wrote:Ham gravy over rice...a family favorite. Sounds weird but a great, easy dish.

Brown ham chunks in oil with a diced onion. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and garlic to taste and simmer for a half hour. Serve over a bed of white rice.

Try it before you say "eeeewwww". :thumbup:

tp
That doesn't sound bad at all, my BBQ was damn good tho.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I took a nap after spending the afternoon horseback with SOH. It's too late for bein' fancy. :relaxed:

tp
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

We took my son out for his 18th birthday dinner. Went to Carrabba's(sp?). Had spagetti with meatballs and sausage. Ice cream with pralines and caramel sauce for dessert.

T-Pee, that ham dish you described sounds almost like Jambalaya. Throw a little bell pepper, celery, Worcestershire and Louisiana hot sauce in there and it would be spot on.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

SC I miss that lowland food so bad, South Carolina taught me what real food was, I do miss her so. I long to go back just to eat of her glorious bounty.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

SoMo wrote:SC I miss that lowland food so bad, South Carolina taught me what real food was, I do miss her so. I long to go back just to eat of her glorious bounty.
Well, I lived in the highlands, but I've visited down around Myrtle Beach and found a lot of the food to be the same as what I grew up on. The only difference was the seafood. The only fresh seafood we had back then in the highlands was oysters - ate a lot of oyster stew and fried oysters.

I try to cook in that tradition as much as I can, but it's not the same without a slab of fatback in most everything you cook. We moved away when I was near 15yo, but I still remember and crave the flavors of the region. I've lived all over the South since leaving, but never found anything that could touch it.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

S-Cackalacky wrote:
SoMo wrote:SC I miss that lowland food so bad, South Carolina taught me what real food was, I do miss her so. I long to go back just to eat of her glorious bounty.
Well, I lived in the highlands, but I've visited down around Myrtle Beach and found a lot of the food to be the same as what I grew up on. The only difference was the seafood. The only fresh seafood we had back then in the highlands was oysters - ate a lot of oyster stew and fried oysters.

I try to cook in that tradition as much as I can, but it's not the same without a slab of fatback in most everything you cook. We moved away when I was near 15yo, but I still remember and crave the flavors of the region. I've lived all over the South since leaving, but never found anything that could touch it.
I was 5 now 38, we lived in sumpter and Myrtle beach, catching crabs and shrimp and all the fish, of course the oysters fried my favorite especially a po boy style sandwich. Probably why I keep a quart of bacon grease at all times, makes everything better.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

S-Cackalacky wrote:T-Pee, that ham dish you described sounds almost like Jambalaya. Throw a little bell pepper, celery, Worcestershire and Louisiana hot sauce in there and it would be spot on.
I guess you could call it "lazy Creole" as that the family background. Damn right about fatback...'specially in the red beans n rice, etc.

tp
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Was my mother's birthday today. Did dinner yesterday though of bbq steak, potato and peaches n cream corn on cob. She sent me off with fresh field tomatoes leaving camp today, so it was open face sandwiches for dinner of cheese, tomato slice, and bacon put in oven on broil til cheese melted and bread slice browned. Side of garden salad with tomato and fresh cucumber and vinegar/oil dressing.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

tp
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

moosemilk wrote:Was my mother's birthday today. Did dinner yesterday though of bbq steak, potato and peaches n cream corn on cob. She sent me off with fresh field tomatoes leaving camp today, so it was open face sandwiches for dinner of cheese, tomato slice, and bacon put in oven on broil til cheese melted and bread slice browned. Side of garden salad with tomato and fresh cucumber and vinegar/oil dressing.
Sometimes it's the simplest things that make you want to throw down and eat.
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Tossed some Brats in with some sourkraut, halfa beer, some chicken broth, taters, and some sliced onion. Then I browned up some squirrel in a skillet and tossed that in too for about 3-4 hours. OMG is that shit good!!
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

It ain't Sunday but steaks for the whole family for 16$ hell yeah.
Attachments
image.jpg
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

SoMo wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:

I was 5 now 38, we lived in sumpter and Myrtle beach, catching crabs and shrimp and all the fish, of course the oysters fried my favorite especially a po boy style sandwich. Probably why I keep a quart of bacon grease at all times, makes everything better.
You can not eat oysters with out me! I had to go get some. Put oysters in some seasoned flour then in egg wash then in italian bread crumbs then medium hot oil in frying pan. Turn 1 time to a medium brown and drain on a paper towel. 50/50 horseradish to ketchup. Kids fighting cause I can't make them fast as they eat them.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Baked now you're talking, had some fried green tomatoes Saturday cooked the same way eat them hot outa the oil, damn fine eating there.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I sliced egg plant and used the same coating method and it was awesome. You can use shrimp sauce or put it in spagetti.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

That sounds good too belly full and still thinking of more good food.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

One of our family oyster favorites is a 'he oyster stew' , taken from J.A.Michener's book "Cheasapeake "(sp?)
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Tonight took some thin cut chuck steaks cut into strips,put in skillet with olive oil,sliced peppers ,onions fried up put on tortillas with some sliced avocado ... Good eating!!
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Sounds like fajitas, pretty tasty. My favorite of Mexican foods yumm with plenty of lime juice.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Okay so tonight the menu is meatloaf but, I'm trying something different, I'm sautéing the peppers and onions in garlic butter and olive oil. Mixed into the ground beef then added shredded cheese . I'm hoping it will be like a Philly cheese steak loaf! Let you know how it comes out.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Bigbob wrote:Okay so tonight the menu is meatloaf but, I'm trying something different, I'm sautéing the peppers and onions in garlic butter and olive oil. Mixed into the ground beef then added shredded cheese . I'm hoping it will be like a Philly cheese steak loaf! Let you know how it comes out.
Sounds delicious good luck if it turns out post it in favorite foods.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Yup sounds like I need me a sandwich tomorrow. I use turkey for meat loaf. It started out cause I could loose a pound or thrity. Ok 50 or 60. It ended up with I like turkey a little better and it is cheaper and a little better for you. I like me some comfort food. A little mashed taters and a day or 2 old meat loaf sandwich is hard to be beat. Turkey for tacos and turkey for stuffed peppers is some awesome stuff.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Raising freezer hogs and replacing beef with lean ground pork we've managed to drop a few pounds, hell the wife lost 30. Same size she was 20 years ago 2 pregnancies one being twins. Looking damn good.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Ok everybody loved the meatloaf but I felt it needed more flavor,maybe more cheese in it, so I don't think it's ready for the tried and true!!
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Bigbob wrote:Ok everybody loved the meatloaf but I felt it needed more flavor,maybe more cheese in it, so I don't think it's ready for the tried and true!!
Try it with a packet of onion soup mix and grated Parmesan cheese mixed in next time.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

SoMo wrote:
Bigbob wrote:Ok everybody loved the meatloaf but I felt it needed more flavor,maybe more cheese in it, so I don't think it's ready for the tried and true!!
Try it with a packet of onion soup mix and grated Parmesan cheese mixed in next time.
BOOM! Image

tp
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

:thumbup: That sounds like a winner!