the time is once again here.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

the time is once again here.

Post by pfshine »

Monday is the start of dove season here which only excites me because that means duck season is just around the corner. This year i am gonna hit two openers one about 4 hours north of here on sep 27 then the next on oct11 about 2.5 hours from here. When you live in a hellhole desert you gotta travel for the ducks. Im coming out of my skin its so close. This year should be good i bought a travel trailer so goodbye tent and 2 degree weather and 2am wake ups.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: the time is once again here.

Post by Rng4 »

We don't get many doves this far south until cold weather hits. Then as the birds head south they stop off here and we get a crack at them. The local birds are so small they aren't worth shooting. Be December till it gets good.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

The dove here have stayed about the same but the quail population has dwindled significantly due to long winters and laxk of rain.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Seeing lots of doves here in Mo, should be a good year to get a few.
What's your favorite recipes?
Mines dove breast marinated in Italian. Salad dressing wrapped in bacon grilled just until they're done. Yum.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

This works ror most game. Foe dove its real easy. Take one breast one jalapeño and a piece of bacon. Slice up tje jalapeño then lay the bacon down put the breast on the end place a jalapeño slice on top roll untill bacon overlaps and put a toothpick through and cut bacon. Do this until you have a cookie sheet fill. Put in oven at 350 for 1/2 hour. Take nuggets Out coat with Parmesan and pan sear. Its the best game you will ever have.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

You guys always get my mouth watering!!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

You could do it the other eay round too and its still great.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I really need to get back to bird hunting again.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I know the feeling pfshine. Rocky mountain elk are open in a few days for archery. I've been cutting a mess of red fir recently (wood tick) and they always come pick through the debris for goodies after I leave.

Gonna finally use my new tree stand :thumbup:
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

My favorite application for pigeon, dove, or other small birds is the Moroccan Bastilla....here is a recipe that is pretty solid though it was written for chicken it works with lots game birds and though they are normally one large pie, these are easy enough I can look past it.,.. Be warned, they are not healthy but damn I can eat my body weight in the stuff. If you're ever in Rabat for some odd reason there is a place called Dinarjat on the edge of the medina that will make you want to live in their bathroom just to eat their Bastilla

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... Pies-12483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

bearriver wrote:I know the feeling pfshine. Rocky mountain elk are open in a few days for archery. I've been cutting a mess of red fir recently (wood tick) and they always come pick through the debris for goodies after I leave.

Gonna finally use my new tree stand :thumbup:
Now you're talking Bear, archery season for white tails opens here Sept 15th, can't wait to hug a tree and fling an arrow.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

The quail and turkey are thick around my place this year, I just hate shooting the ones in my backyard. Time to head up to the mountains and start harvesting quail, grouse, and my own private stash of wild boar!
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Hey hey Pf,headed out Monday morning for our early goose season that last 15 days,we are allowed 5,then it drops back to 2 for regular season that starts Oct 1st,will be missing this years opener of waterfowl (first time in 8 yrs) on account of will be in Canada on a Moose bowhunting trip,from Sept 24-Oct 4th.
It is what you make it
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Well it was a good hunt limited out by 9 plus 3 ring necks. The bad news is 3 of them were unusable because i hit them too square. I think om just too good of a shot. Ha.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

pfshine wrote:Well it was a good hunt limited out by 9 plus 3 ring necks. The bad news is 3 of them were unusable because i hit them too square. I think om just too good of a shot. Ha.
That is why you head shoot them! :D
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Yep. Just need to two more inches of lead. Just two more inches.... Glad my wife never said that.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

A few years back, I bagged 6 grouse in one day, headshots only..... With my 30-06... Worthy of the liars bench I know, but damn sometimes you really get that thing sighted in. Sometimes you are just really lucky.

The next day I shot a gnarly 4 point at 250 yards, when I got up to it, it jumped and ran. Tracked it til the snow covered all of the sign. Went back to get help and found this monster, laying dead in the middle of the road half a mile behind where I shot it from. Sometimes your good, sometimes your lucky. I will take lucky any day!
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Here the only thing you can use is a shotgun no rifle for game birds, or long bow for water fowl.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Well been on a few dove hunts and did good but it is still to damn hot here. Its starting to cool off though its only supposed to be 97 today, i better get my coat. The great news is there is only 8 days and 18 hours left till the first shots of duck season starts.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Got the old bow out put a new rest on and had some new carbon arrows made, hopefully gonna be up a tree this weekend. Now season started the 15th.
Good luck guys.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Nice somo been wanting to get into archery for a while but its one more piece of gear that i cant afford with all my other hobbies (fly,rod and reel, spear fishing hunting, gold panning, of course distilling, Restoration of things like old travel trailers and wood work, metal fabrication) and a whole list of other things. Maybe when i move and have more space.
bship
Novice

Post by bship »

+1 on the travel trailer.. Have a new (used) one myself. Makes deer camp and early season trout more enjoyable. That, or i'm getting old. Enjoy the hunt pf
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

1 farmer cutting corn in my area. No doves to speak of yet. Corn is still green and weather is 70s-80s. Coyotes put a hurting on the quail years ago. I have not seen one in years. Good eating. Turkeys not faring so well but tons better than quail. Grouse only killed a handful. 7mm mag. Head shot only. Yea I have missed a few. Bust one of those in the basket and all you got is feathers. Turkey is an entirely diff animal to shoot with a 7mm mag. Never shot a turkey in head. They are a in the side and butt shot only. Sounds gross but they pull their guts out and loose no meat.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Me and my brother just bought a 1972 21' terry travel trailer for $450. It was in pretty bad shape but now its pretty nice. Gutted the bathroom to the channel frame all the wood was rotted out. Alot of work went into the whole thing. The plastic panels for the water and elec cord were rotted so i made somthing special for it. Well i cant get a pic to load it keeps on saying the extension is not allowed. The pics were resized to almost nothing so i dont know whats going on
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Almost nothing beats hunting camp. Hunting, drinkin, telling lies, eatin. Used to reload my own shotgun shells. Wife and I used to shoot skeet and trap and shot 10,000+- rounds a year. Got rid of my Browning Gold Hunter 11-87 and Mec 9000 reloader but still have the Cirori and BT-99. Buddy of mine used to make his own shot and another worked for a powder manufacturer. I used to reload a box of shotgun shells for around a $1.00 or so. Camper sounds great!!!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

This is the water fill cover i made. I cut a piece of 2 1/2" inch 8" long for this. After i flattened it out i cut a 1 3/4" hole in the center, then used a 1/2" by 2" reducer and a rubber mallet with a 2x4 to make the sink indentation and wallow out the hole. After the reducer went all the way through i used a ss shaker to get it the rest of the way. It is 8"x8" with 2 3/8" hole for the water pipe inlet.
Attachments
Side view of hole
Side view of hole
Front side of water cover.
Front side of water cover.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Missed your last post hb a box of shells for a buck man thats nice. Been talkin with my brother about a reloader 3 1/2" shells 2 shot aint cheap.