Thumper vs No Thumper

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fermented1
Novice

Thumper vs No Thumper

Post by Fermented1 »

I have mentioned that I just recently built and started using a thumper. I have read pros. and cons. on using a thumper. But I do think it has been an
improvement on my production quality, and speed I can distill a run. If anyone would care to throw a comment on your opinion on using a thumper,
or if you do, or don't, and why, I would be quite interested in what you have to say.
Here is to LIFE, Liberty, and the pursuit of the PERFECT BATCH !!!!
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thumper vs No Thumper

Post by hamshine »

I don't use a thumper because I ain't built one yet. I don't like the way deluted hooch tastes as much so I single run and make tight cuts mostly. I figure 110 proof isn't that bad for me. I think a thumpers would be good for flavor infusion. It probably speeds up stockpiling for a spirit run too. I'm probably going to build one soon.
ETOH.... yes plz
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

My opinion on running a thumper is this. Since I have started running mine the product I produce is smoother. I've done side by side comparisons with other stuff I have made and could really tell the difference. The speeds of my runs may have sped up a touch due to the fact the ABV stays higher and more consistent through the run, but I also have a touch longer heat up time.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

A thumper is a very versatile addition to your rig. You can charge it with a variety of liquids - feints, wash, water, infusions, etc. It can also be used to distill on the grain using the main boiler to steam inject the thumper charge. You can "shoot" it with flavor (goose eye knows some ole boys who do this). Use it to increase the amount of wash you can distill in a single run (per Truckinbutch's method). There's a big "Thumper" thread over in the build section that talks about a lot (and more) of the things I've outlined here.

Build a thumper and have even more fun.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I don't have one yet but really can't see any negatives.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I'm not a religious man but I'm pretty sure if Jesus ran a still it would have a thumper on it.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I use a thumper for practicality at this point, I haven't done infusions yet. Why is it practical? I run 6gal in a 7gal boiler (with a SS bowl on the top for expansion), I do my run and cuts and save 1.5qt of tails, 90 proof and better. This I mix with a pint of water and that's my thumper charge. Without a thumper, my high proof was 125, with the thumper I range from 160-170. That's why I consider it practical. I get more volume of higher proof from one run rather than collecting tails, diluting to 40% and doing another run. Saves time and energy ($$).
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

halfbaked wrote:I don't have one yet but really can't see any negatives.
The negatives would be added complexity and more potential leaks.
But the versatility of a thumper overcomes its negatives.
Fermented1
Novice

Thanks Guy's and/or gals.

Post by Fermented1 »

Thats why I love this forum. You all are so helpful and quick to reply with helpful info. Thank you all.
Here is to LIFE, Liberty, and the pursuit of the PERFECT BATCH !!!!
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Brutal wrote:I'm not a religious man but I'm pretty sure if Jesus ran a still it would have a thumper on it.
"And on the eighth day God finished His rig and added a thumper."
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"