real time experience

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

real time experience

Post by googe »

Hey all, just been thinking about this lately. we all get advice from.certain members and follow it to the tee. I've realised we follow members that suit our personal needs and thought that suit our still types and the process. do you feel you are getting all the info you need?, do you follow someone that's had one still type and has mastered it, do you feel they can answer all your questions?. Or, do you follow someone that has mastered all still types?. I personally follow someone that has experience in stills, someone that has done the ground work. Just curious what others think.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Red Rim
Trainee

Re: real time experience

Post by Red Rim »

I will take advice anywhere I can get it, but, I love to experiment!

I will try all kinds of crazy things just to see how they will turn out, of course then I read around and find someone has tried it already too.

I tend to have followed a bunch of Jimbos techniques from the start, lots of great contributions. I have built his electrical controller, a similar apple press, follow his all grain recipes, and now beer brewing.

I like Woodsheds malted corn and smoking techniques.

Bushman's research and wisdom on many fronts.

Goose eyes old school wisdom. Years of experience tied up in some wicked Appalachian slang that requires more than one read to translate.

And who can miss Tpees one liners.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Nice balance red rim!. Mines mash rooky for still experiment things, mitchy for a balanced knowledge of general fermenting and making sense, belly for a general knowledge, AC for still experimental development, empty for straight to the point knowledge and years of experience (wish he shared more as he has more experience than he shows), od for wise confident opinions that are true, pp for over all.general.distilling, as well as rad, cookey for his theory experience (only person I'll listen to theory wise), guitarmaster for his ideas. They are the people.that have influences me.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

I can say any of the people on here that have known experience I have tried to follow at one point or another. I like to be able to read one persons take then also find someone elses take that may be completely different and make my own hybrid opinion. some of the experienced members when you read what the have posted its like gospel, you dont screw with it. For me the diverse opinions and experience is what keeps me so interested in this site. I dont feel that there is one way to do something and some pretty darned good ideas come from the inexperienced, either by previous knowledge in other fields or just plan by accident.

We all know there are some GREAT ALL AROUND DISTILLERS on this site as well as some that just cant get a ferment to bubble, but it takes all of them to make this site what it is and provide the rest of us with a fun and safe hobby.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Any distiller that claims to speak from personal experience gets my attention.

Certain people are uniquely qualified to give advice in certain aspects of this hobby. I stay keenly aware of anything Jimbo has to say about AG, or Odin about gin. I could easily provide a few dozen more examples, including you googe :thumbup:...
justsomeguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by justsomeguy »

I try to take what I can get where I can get it. There are the regular few that contribute in many areas and I try to do what they say. That being said if I wanted a jet engine fixed I am not asking the guy at Jiffy lube to have a look. Certain folks know tons in different areas, I just try to be an equal opportunity learner.
45 ACP..... Turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911