Any banjo players here?

Moderator: Site Moderator

83xr2
Novice

Any banjo players here?

Post by 83xr2 »

Hi im in the uk and play a little banjo ,mainly bluegrass,was wondering if there's any other banjo players on here?
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Any banjo players here?

Post by WooTeck »

nope but im wanting to learn got a guitar but never really learned to play. can play a little on the ucalaly. allthough i havnt toched one in a few years.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I just recently purchased one and am trying to self learn how to play. I have a Deering Goodtime 2 with resonator and am working on the claw hammer style. It is quite a challenge.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Played a little bit many years ago. Had a made-from-a-kit 5 string. The only instrument I still have is my Dad's mandolin - 1934 Monterey. He played in bluegrass bands when he was in his teens.

Corene, my wife has a high school friend in N. VA that plays clawhammer style. She didn't start playing until well into her twenties and now she and her husband do regular gigs around that area. Banjo is a fun instrument to play.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Close, I play a 4 string Cigar Box Guitar (barely)
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

My older brother played the banjo, I played the accordion, and my younger brother played the bagpipes. Would you have enjoyed us as neighbours?

M
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Any of you guys ever play a guitjo? Its a 6 string banjo strung like a guitar. I really like the sound of it and I'm interested in getting one. Just don't know much about them really.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

StillLearning1 wrote:Any of you guys ever play a guitjo? Its a 6 string banjo strung like a guitar. I really like the sound of it and I'm interested in getting one. Just don't know much about them really.
Look up Harvey Reid on you tube. He is very good with one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbpHOlaYP5k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Awesome link corene1! Your right he sure can do some picking! I just love the idea of being able to pick up a banjo having never played one and it be familiar due to my guitar background. I will be in TN in two weeks maybe I can pick one up then. Just seems like a good place to but first banjo right?

How's your picking coming along corene? Just about ready for the stage yet?
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

Nope but I need one.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Built my first banjo, a stewart macdonald kit. that was 1989. since then i got a few more.... now i am no master of any style and most of the time i am yodelling, and strumming in my living room alone.... but i love to play.

all these years i been playing the standard open G tuning, and so my buddy told me about the sawmill tuning so the last few months i been messing with that cool stuff a haunting lonesome sound... I aint no blugrass cardinal i really love the Old Time music sounds and tend to play that way sometimes the celtic sounds come out ... one guy i like to listen to is Dirk Powell.... but i cant play all that good .

Banjo is so nice cause its easy on my fingers hahah ... open tunings make it fun too... i have a couple open backs and a resonator style love em all.

also have a violin... mostly old time sounding tunes come out, aint no folks around here that play much so i just mess around actually for me it is like meditation as i unwind from a stressfull day got a mandolin with a solid spruce top that got a crack in the top, planning on some harmonicas this summer.... that was my first misic instrument... bought one when i had a paper route and had to collect money when i had enough i went to the store, bought me a harmonica, and the poor folks had to wait till quite late as i was not a good paper route boy hahaha but that harmonica opened the door to a life time of good music.

regards
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
NgrainD
Bootlegger

Post by NgrainD »

Any of you folks ever hear of Steve'n'Seagulls? I thought it was pretty cool. AC/DC done HD style. :clap:

https://youtu.be/e4Ao-iNPPUc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Experience is something you gain shortly after you need it.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I frail in the key of D mostly.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

NgrainD wrote:Any of you folks ever hear of Steve'n'Seagulls? I thought it was pretty cool. AC/DC done HD style. :clap:

https://youtu.be/e4Ao-iNPPUc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I aint never heard of them but i have a few albums of Hayseed Dixie, there is one thats a tribute to 3 doors down i like a lot... and Metallica...

it is so awesome how a song can morph into the style and still carry its own. :ebiggrin:
But he loved her Still
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

After a ton of research I've decided to just get a banjo instead of a guitjo. Looks like a lot of them sound like crap. And I figured why not just go all the way!?

Any suggestions for a fist time shopper? I've got another guitar to trade in and should have about a $400 limit to play with. I was looking at an epiphone model that I liked but I'm clueless about banjos.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

First thing i'd do is get down to a shop that sells a variety and take your belt buckle off and check em out...

compare open back to resonator style and how the neck feels in your hand...how they resonate and the tone ... they can be very different. you will feel one that will sing to you.

sorry i cant drop any names but i think a guy can find something in your price range that will get you going... for a long time i was playing my Stewart MacDonald kit banjo, and one day i got to fondle my friends gibson, i was blown away... but at 2 grand that he paid i wasnt walking that path.

there is a lot a person can do to effect the sound of a Banjo, changing the Head or strings bridge or tailpiece can effect the sound, in good or bad ways.

Maybe someone can chime in and guide you.

Better yet! you know how to use forums, so, check this out:

http://www.banjohangout.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

that is the Banjo equivalent of our Blessed HD forum!

Good Luck! Enjoy, and keep us posted

Regards
But he loved her Still
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I found mine used . a fella needed some money and pawned it to the music store. After checking to see if it was stolen they sold it to me for $300 . It is a blonde Deering good time II with a hard case. Thought that was a great deal. Go to the Deering website , they have a ton of videos explaining the basics of the banjo.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Thanks rasata and corene! I'm almost afraid to go that forum because I only signed up here to ask a quick question about my stock pot and well.....that was about a year and a thousand dollars ago! Lmao!

Went to the local guitar shop all excited to find a whopping 3 banjos on the wall :/ all similar in design. No open back models at all.

I hope to have time to look around in Tennessee next week. If I can't find one there its not meant to be!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

corene1 wrote:I found mine used . a fella needed some money and pawned it to the music store. After checking to see if it was stolen they sold it to me for $300 . It is a blonde Deering good time II with a hard case. Thought that was a great deal. Go to the Deering website , they have a ton of videos explaining the basics of the banjo.

For the little bit of research I've done I know enough to know a deering don't come everyday for $300!!!!! Great find! It may not have been stolen but you stole it!
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

sweet Deal Corene!

Deering makes some nice stuff.

the banjo hangout has a classified section also.. saw a few starters there ....good way to feel it out a bit

Yes i know exactly what your fear is with the forums... i am sitting on 4 stills and 2 different power controllers.

research is of course a lot of fun, but for me the satisfaction of having an instrument that brings you years of enjoyment, is priceless however you get it....

good luck in Tennessee.
But he loved her Still
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Rastus wrote:sweet Deal Corene!

Yes i know exactly what your fear is with the forums... i am sitting on 4 stills and 2 different power controllers.

research is of course a lot of fun, but for me the satisfaction of having an instrument that brings you years of enjoyment, is priceless however you get it....

good luck in Tennessee.
Well like I said I have 5 guitars sitting around and can only play one at time! As long as I'm breathing, I'll have a stringed something in the corner just in case I need it!
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

well said, Brother from a different mother!

and each has a voice that cannot be replaced
But he loved her Still
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I use a 5/8 bridge to raise the action for drop thumbin and also belt sanded my finger board down at the very base in order to further increase the action........My fingers are too big for regular action.

I like to add some complexity to my frailing with drop thumb and hammering on to compensate for my inability to play note for note like a real hot picker.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I LOVE MY NEW BANJO!!!!!!!!!

So went to TN, honeymoon was amazing btw, and started looking for nearby guitar shops. First shop was a bust, they were high end and the cheapest banjo on the wall was $700. So the next day I went to the only other shop within driving distance and I hit the jackpot. They had about 30banjos on the floor front and center.

Rastas I took your advise and picked up damn near all of them. Now that was a sight because I don't know how to play it so I was just plucking and strumming random notes. It was fun but I was sure getting some looks!

Corene.....your not a fortune teller or anything are you? I found a deering good time that was used with $299 on the tag!!! I love it! Its super lightweight, 4lbs I think I read. Open back and sounded better to me than anything else on the floor.

So just messing around it sounds great already and I haven't even really started learning rolls or anything yet. I'm so excited I feel like I'm 14 again with my first acoustic!

Thanks for the advise guys and gals. Keep an eye out for me on CMT.!!! :lolno:
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Well i am very glad for you.... got a smile on my face.

I do love the open back 2 of the 3 comrercial banjos i have are open back, they have that old timey sound i love.
i have a 4th that is a home made job the guys name was Zeno, from north carolina, cut a cedar ice cream maker bucket for the body, and used wall paneling for the top and back, a hand carved neck, fun piece.
Each has a place in my heart and brings out a different sound and feeling.

Now i aint no Bela Fleck... but get yourself tuned into open G for a starter, and learn C and D, find a song book that has some tunes you love and let er rip! practice scales and arpeggios... have fun.

there's plenty of stuff on the old you tube. that'll tell you how to play this and that.

Banjo pickin is as diverse as the people playing them. listen for someone who rings your Bell in a Banjo way, and follow the direction if you want but mostly draw inspiration.

me i couldnt get all the technique or style polished up but my hands just dance on the banjo strings and, over time they bring out a tune i never knew existed, or sometimes they find a tune and let it out of my heart.... cant explain it any other way in short.

I am glad you sat down and felt em all up. banjos love to be fondled and they never slap you :moresarcasm:
as you walked out with your new baby, you knew and felt more confident it was the beginning of a good relationship because you took time to feel them all up. :wink: since you tried them you wont be left wondering how green the grass is on the other side.
i am sure you will find your way with it...

i heard some where , "aint no sad songs played on the Banjo"

so go forth and be happy

Rastus
But he loved her Still
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well time sure does fly I tell ya. Feels like yesterday I was in that guitar shop looking around all giddy trying to figure out what I wanted. I've decide clawhmer is the direction I want to go, largely due to Mr. Stringbean. I haven't had as much time as I wanted to practice due to work, married life, and finding out the wife was eating for two on the honeymoon!!!!

I've got cripple Creek down pretty good in the last few weeks because I've found that I can devote about 20 min to any given hobby of mine at a time nowadays.
Figured banjo fits that bill better than stillin. Lol but I don't think it will be long before I can stop by my local TSC for some more "booze".

Just wanted to bump this thread to say again what a joy the banjo has been to me over the last few months. Best stress relief ive found in quite a while. When I'm playing, it's like nothing else in the world matter except hitting those strings and making good sounds.

Highly recommended to anyone interested in making music!
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

You should check out Mark Johnson, amazing player! He has a dvd on Homespun that is worth looking into. This is a video by him, keep an eye on his thumb, he does a lot of drop thumb. It is a bit advanced for me but is very educational also. Have you messed around with any different tunings? They really make the moods change. Look into sawmill tuning and songs like Pretty Polly or Cluck old hen. Aubrey Atwater has some nice videos on You Tube also Tuning goes from standard G tuning , G top DGBD to G top DGCD and give it a strum , very smooth sound. Some will take it a bit farther by going to double c tuning and capoing up to 2nd fret for a modal tuning and tuning 5 string to A for songs like Angeline the baker. Absolutely agree that the banjo will relieve stress and worry enjoy your journey.
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

I got my start frailing on an old bakelite harmony, and when the head ripped on that I got an old beat up Kent for $20.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I've been learning from YouTube videos as well. My favorite are from from " brainjo productions". I forget the guys name but his instructions are very clear for me to understand. It's pretty awesome to me to have YouTube as a resource to learn from. 15 years ago when I learned guitar I didn't have access to YouTube and learning from a book just isn't the same as watching a video!

I have a tuner on my phone called pitchlab light that has all kinds of alternative tunings to play with. Funny you mention sawmill because that's the only one that I have really experimented with outside of standard G.

I'm not ready for any drop thumb techniques just yet. Every time I try my rythem just goes to pieces. But I'm sure I will get there in time. Less than a month ago I had never hit a string with my index on a down stroke and now that feels as natural as using a pick on guitar so it's just a matter of practice and reputationto get where I'm heading!
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

StillLearning1 wrote:I've been learning from YouTube videos as well. My favorite are from from " brainjo productions". I forget the guys name but his instructions are very clear for me to understand. It's pretty awesome to me to have YouTube as a resource to learn from. 15 years ago when I learned guitar I didn't have access to YouTube and learning from a book just isn't the same as watching a video!

I have a tuner on my phone called pitchlab light that has all kinds of alternative tunings to play with. Funny you mention sawmill because that's the only one that I have really experimented with outside of standard G.

I'm not ready for any drop thumb techniques just yet. Every time I try my rythem just goes to pieces. But I'm sure I will get there in time. Less than a month ago I had never hit a string with my index on a down stroke and now that feels as natural as using a pick on guitar so it's just a matter of practice and reputationto get where I'm heading!

Yep, I pretty much like the sawmill tuning. Spent many evenings not playing anything formal just goofing off with different licks and timing variations. Hammer ons , slides and pull offs add another layer to the fun. Un like you , I have never played anything musical, except for the stereo, and figured it was time to start. I have a hard time focusing on the music. I will start at one song and an hour later I will end up somewhere else not even close to where I started, but it sounds good so that is all that matters.