Hijack my thread

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

Re: Hijack my thread

Post by googe »

Haha, I drive up the driveway and our house had sliding glass doors each side of the house, you could see through the front door and out through the back door into the back yard, when I glanced over to look through the door, I seen the horse and thought hmm, that doesn't look right, drive around the back and my eyes nearly fell out when I seen it inside eating off the tabke :lol: , was fun getting it out as it was a bit flighty!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

shadylane wrote:Anyone who uses a gate valve for accurate cooling water control deservers to be sent to the read only.
Yep I got gates on my RC and PC , is there a you tube vid on how to kick ya own arse :thumbdown: was just swaring about this last night
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

What do ya want? Ball valves. If ya know how to work em they are fine.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

gates are pricks of things for slight adjustments, for one they are hard to fully shut off and then from tight off to just a bit is nearly half a turn. half a turn and .5 of a mm is 2/3 on and and 3/4 on is 30 more turns. the way they work you need to turn them full on then slowly try to guess where you want it from there, a back plate and indicator might make life easier but there are better ways
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Got bored so made some banana muffins. Fresh out the oven, cut in half and a dollop of butter. Yum.
Oh. And picked up a little wheat today to try malting. It soaking right now. :-)
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

my father retierd yesterday. goiong to get him in to the hobby. all his free time could be taken up by making some fine sippin whiskey.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

WooTeck wrote:my father retierd yesterday. goiong to get him in to the hobby. all his free time could be taken up by making some fine sippin whiskey.
He might make a fine brewhand at your brewery as well... :thumbup: Congrats to your dad.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
WooTeck wrote:my father retierd yesterday. goiong to get him in to the hobby. all his free time could be taken up by making some fine sippin whiskey.
He might make a fine brewhand at your brewery as well... :thumbup: Congrats to your dad.
thats the dream. he also has a garge that im looking to 'borrowing' you know father son style :shifty:

on the brewery side i got some pretty high comments for an ale that tastes like a lager. really clean with what breersmith tells me is 60 IBU but is not aparent.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Alright I need some advise. I didn't feel my question was thread worthy so I figured I'd hijack this one!

I got about 5' of 1" pipe left over from my previous build. I currently run a 24" liebig 3/4 over 1/2 nothing special and it does ok. Not too good for stripping but runs as fast as I need it to.

So what would you guys do with the leftover pipe? I know I can just make a bigger liebig, but then I'd have to go buy the inner tube, fittings ect. Just wondering if anyone had a low cost idea for me on something to build.

I haven't soldered anything in like a month and it itches!!!!! Lol
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Still learning, Do you have a parrot? with 5' of pipe you could build 2 (and send me one). :thumbup:
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

ranger_ric wrote:Still learning, Do you have a parrot? with 5' of pipe you could build 2 (and send me one). :thumbup:
actually, pretty sure you could get 3 parrots out of that. :ewink:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

ranger_ric wrote:Still learning, Do you have a parrot? with 5' of pipe you could build 2 (and send me one). :thumbup:

Yea that's what I built with the leftovers from my first build!!!Lol

Might try to make one all fancy like tho. That's what's cool about parrots, cheap and really fun to build I think.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

You ever try to build a parrot ranger rick? If not I strongly suggest doing so if you like the building aspect. Your friends will be amazed!
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Still Learning, The parrot is on my list of things to do.. All I have on hand is some 3/8 flex copper, I would need everything else. Things are real tight right now, however next time I am in town I am going by the "recycling center" (scrap yard) to see if they have a little bit of 1" tubing and maybe a few fittings.
I run a little 5 gal pot still and things are smeared bad enough as is. It would however be nice to slide a parrot in at the end of runs looking for the 15-20% mark.
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well I certainly understand things being tight. That's why I said I was looking for something low budget myself!

And I think back now about my plan to start stilling so I could have "cheap" booze! :lol: boy did I call that one wrong! Oh well this hobby is a passion now and I wouldn't trade it for the world!
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Well the booze may not be as "cheap" as you can buy, however mine is better than i can buy. I gotta be careful cause this stuff is soooo smooooth that sometimes I forget It has alcohol in it. Never thought about 40% alcohol being that smooth with no bite...
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

ranger_ric wrote:Well the booze may not be as "cheap" as you can buy, however mine is better than i can buy. I gotta be careful cause this stuff is soooo smooooth that sometimes I forget It has alcohol in it. Never thought about 40% alcohol being that smooth with no bite...

Oh hell yea!!! my very first batch I put beside some store bought shine and every single one of my friends picked mine as the better one. And they keep getting better!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

StillLearning1 wrote:
ranger_ric wrote:Well the booze may not be as "cheap" as you can buy, however mine is better than i can buy. I gotta be careful cause this stuff is soooo smooooth that sometimes I forget It has alcohol in it. Never thought about 40% alcohol being that smooth with no bite...

Oh hell yea!!! my very first batch I put beside some store bought shine and every single one of my friends picked mine as the better one. And they keep getting better!
i keep it out in the shop and use a small glass. that keeps me from drinking it like water. also a great way for a forced exercize program (300 ft away), kinda like putting a carrot on a stick in front of a donkey.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I see that the master musician Jimbo is now playing the flute along side everything else he plays. Never thought I would see the day.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Yeah Jedneck I saw that.. I have always held Jimbo in the highest esteem as a fellow pot stiller.. But now the world has been turned on its head. I blame it on the pretty girl. She, as a fellow pot stiller, decided to take a walk on the wild side with flute music and she wouldnt go alone, so she lured Jimbo out for a dance.
Sad Day Indeed..... :( :( :( :( :(
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Even Jimbo is not immune to the constant march of (ancient) technology...especially if Corene is the builder.

tp
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

I love my pot still, but I too would like to have a flute some day. I have all these killer ideas, but never seem to have the time, money, and tools all at the same time to make the ideas reality.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Drunk-N-Smurf wrote:I love my pot still, but I too would like to have a flute some day. I have all these killer ideas, but never seem to have the time, money, and tools all at the same time to make the ideas reality.

Think about the big picture ...The still you want that will satisfy you for as long as you want ..
I started with a plan ..Went with the basic setup that would allow me to buy or build one piece at a time until I reach my goal of having a very modular, modular.
I've got a want / wish list that seems to be never ending ..Got a copper cone and 180° copper bend I'm gonna do something with next ...Just keep at it, you'll gradually get it all together ..I will to hopefully. :D :thumbup:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

I put a tri-clamp fitting on the end of my CCVM so that I could run it as a pot still.
Only time I've used it as a pot is to do a cleaning run with vinegar.
I'll be using it for some striping runs here real soon.
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

ranger_ric wrote:She, as a fellow pot stiller, decided to take a walk on the wild side with flute music and she wouldnt go alone, so she lured Jimbo out for a dance.
haha, yes, in fact thats about exactly how it went too. :) Trust me Im a bit conflicted, always prided myself a potstiller. But hot damn this thing is nice. Ill get over moving my column and leibig 3 foot higher over some plates. :ebiggrin:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just my HMHO
No matter what you have for a still head. Do a potstill run every once in a while. It might become a habit.
Just a thought
The one advantage a potstill has over a column, is the low-wines can get a chance to breath before they are redistilled.
Edited: And the low-wines can be diluted with water to wash unwanted flavors away.
In other words a potstill makes low-wines that you can play with before redistillation.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I ran a boka for a bit and quickly came to realize that it sucked big time. So I took a small hiatus while I got everything planed for a new build. Built a new boiler went electric built a 4" plated column and plumbed water lines in and out of the still in area. Man was it great, couldn't ask for more. Then I got bored and built a pot still and thump. I have ran it about three times since. I was spoiled, the pot just couldn't hold a candle to my column.

Edited for spelling I think.
Last edited by pfshine on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

You can also leave your bubble tee empty for use for expansion ..Slowing your vapor speed down, creating longer distillation, slightly increasing abv and flavor I might add..Or use as an inline gin basket (something I'd like to try).
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I am with you Shady.
Granted I am climbing the handle of the hockey stick learning curve. But gotta Love my potstill... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I love my pot still and my inline thumper( single plate flute). Mostly I run the flute but every now and again I do a couple potstill runs.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder