home distiller anonymous

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thecroweater
retired

Re: home distiller anonymous

Post by thecroweater »

jb-texshine wrote:
Bigbob wrote:I thought I didn't have a problem untill last night.... I dreamed about the forum :wtf:
I think Bigbob wins.....
Yeah dunno, bloke dreamin bout mods a has some serious issues I would surely hazard to guess
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

thecroweater wrote:
jb-texshine wrote:
Bigbob wrote:I thought I didn't have a problem untill last night.... I dreamed about the forum :wtf:
I think Bigbob wins.....
Yeah dunno, bloke dreamin bout mods a has some serious issues I would surely hazard to guess
If you think that's serious issues you should see those goofy dream mods coming together. I do some of my best designs while sleeping :D
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

ive been referred here by ShineonCrazyDiamond

maybe i do belong in hda. ive read the whole thread between 3:30pm-11pm. reading when the soh headed off to the bathroom during dinner and drinks out. :oops:

my still has been left still for about a year now :shifty:. ive got 30l odd of 100% simpsons lager malt to run but until i get the cooling line and electricity set up in my still room i wont be able to run. all my money is sunk in to brewing equipment atm so it may be jan before im ready to roll on that. the still is due a re-design also.

have my last jar of 2yo cinnamon aged rum hope you guys enjoy.
IMAG1289.jpg
thank the lord the forum is here to get me through this dry spell.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

now look what yall got me doing. pricing up my next copper order and it aint cheap. might aswell order parts for a boka at the same time.

sack the boka idea i think ill hold out for a flute
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Cheers, WooTeck, We're here for ya. :wave:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

the other thing that gets to me is that im across the pond from you guys. i see yall swapping samples and meeting up. not that i have anything to share.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

WooTeck wrote:the other thing that gets to me is that im across the pond from you guys. i see yall swapping samples and meeting up. not that i have anything to share.
Those samples we swap don't taste all that good . Hope me lying to you makes you feel better . Best I can do .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Truckinbutch wrote:
WooTeck wrote:the other thing that gets to me is that im across the pond from you guys. i see yall swapping samples and meeting up. not that i have anything to share.
Those samples we swap don't taste all that good . Hope me lying to you makes you feel better . Best I can do .
yeah, nothing as good as scotch from the home office. yer not missing out.

:roll:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

Hi my name is python and I am an HD addict. I am not proud to say i have limmited myself down to eight hours a day.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

HDNB wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:
yeah, nothing as good as scotch from the home office. yer not missing out.

:roll:
haha i see what your trying to do. :lolno:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Starwest Botanicals sent me a Happy Thanksgiving email. Bastards. Sittin here with too much time on my hands and my absinthe jar down to half a bottle. Hmmm Organic Wormwood $14 a pound. Bastards.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Jeeze that's steep. Stuff grows wild about 2 hours drive from me. I got an A4 size courier bag packed to bursting point sent to me for free.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That's funny, You made me start thinking about wormwood and how to identify it. The King County Wa website has this to say about it.
wrote: Although extracts of this plant are used in preparing the beverage absinthe, the plant is poisonous and no part of the plant should be ingested. Absinthe is banned from use in several countries and has been shown to disrupt the nervous system and may cause death when consumed in large enough quantities.
May cause death when consumed in large enough quantities :wtf: Isn't that true about pretty much anything, including water? :lolno:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Here I am 11AM when I should be sleeping, again, I woke up a little while ago thinking about barrels. I found an add on craigslist this morning for used wine barrels for $110. Both French and American oak, So when I woke up I started wondering how many apples it would take to fill a full size oak barrel. Then I started wondering if it would be hard to take staves from a full size barrel and build a smaller barrel or two from them. I would like used French oak wine barrels because to me everything that touches a bourbon barrel comes out tasting like bourbon. That's not a bad thing if you want that flavor in everything but I don't feel it compliments apples or other brandies very well. So here I am on the site once again when I should be sleeping, doing research on barrel making.
Jolly_Roger
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jolly_Roger »

Uhhh Cranky it's 11 PM!

What about putting the barrel in the apples?
All grain goodness without the nasty fibre
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jolly_Roger wrote:Uhhh Cranky it's 11 PM!

What about putting the barrel in the apples?
Been thinking about that too. A full size barrel would pretty much be a lifetime supply of French oak for me but from what I've been reading it seems there are things that go on in barrels that can't quite be replicated in a jar with sticks. With the painstaking Calvados style process I did with my apples this year I was thinking a nice long slow aging in a real barrel would be a nice thing.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I just did the math too, If it is correct it would take approximately 8200 pounds of apples to fill on of those barrels with brandy :wtf: It would take me 10 or more years to do that :moresarcasm:
Jolly_Roger
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jolly_Roger »

I made the mistake of asking for a JD barrel that's been to Scotland and then returned to Canada.
All grain goodness without the nasty fibre
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

cranky wrote:... Then I started wondering if it would be hard to take staves from a full size barrel and build a smaller barrel or two from them....
There was a thread on that here somewhere, can't recall who did it but for some reason I was going to say you or MCH, or someone in that outside-the-box mold.
From what I can remember it was a fairly challenging build even with all the right tools.

But I'm sure that wont deter you :D

Can't wait to see how you get on :twisted:
Don't be a dick
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

cranky wrote: I found an add on craigslist this morning for used wine barrels for $110. Both French and American oak,
get one, fill it over time with what ever. use it as a blending barrel and once its at a decent level fill some bottles. add a bottle take a boltle kinda deal.lotta stilling but some of that barrel will end up with some age to it.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

My Christmas wish list is all parts for a new still build.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

S-Cackalacky wrote:My Christmas wish list is all parts for a new still build.
I only have two things on my list, a decent bottle of whiskey (standard for bdays and xmas at this point) and a proof refractometer.

Got a thread for your build?
Don't be a dick
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

No, no thread yet. It'll initially be just a new keg boiler and I'll use my existing pot still head and liebig. I've been accumulating parts for several months. I have two kegs - one for a boiler and the other for a thumper/direct steam still. The end goal is to also build out a CCVM column. All is going very slowly.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

S-Cackalacky wrote:No, no thread yet. It'll initially be just a new keg boiler and I'll use my existing pot still head and liebig. I've been accumulating parts for several months. I have two kegs - one for a boiler and the other for a thumper/direct steam still. The end goal is to also build out a CCVM column. All is going very slowly.
SC, are you currently running a thumper ?
Blah, blah, blah,........
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Yes, I run a 5 gallon stock pot still and a 4 gallon stock pot thumper.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Party is gonna be at my house in a couple months. I get 60 gallons of all grain to run and the making for another 90 gallons to be made. And I am on vacation for TWO weeks. But it is also hunting season. Might be a couple long nights but I'm gettin it will be worth it.
Here's a bottle of cob smoked corn malt, wheat malt and rye if'n anybdy thirsty.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Part of my pot still set up is to set a small can of pork and beans on the boiler lid to heat it up for lunch.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

i have to confess, and i dont know where else to turn. I just picked up a 55 # bag of simpsons peated barley and 55# of 2 row. i just mashed 7 # of 2 row and 5 # of peat in 5 gallons of water. i see alot of scotch in my future.

not sure what dark road about to go down but i hope i will find what i looking for

cheers :angel:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

That's gonna be nice, Rager. I did a scotch with that same Simpsons, 100% peated barley. Turned out great, good smoke, like an islay, very happy with it. I bet you will get plenty of peat with a 50/50 blend, too.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:That's gonna be nice, Rager. I did a scotch with that same Simpsons, 100% peated barley. Turned out great, good smoke, like an islay, very happy with it. I bet you will get plenty of peat with a 50/50 blend, too.
awesome to here you had good results. i was going to do a 50/50 blend at first but i figured 5# of peat was enough. :crazy:

im aiming for a serious islay kind of whiskey. ill strip these two and do a small spirit run so see where it lands and may adjust the grains a little depending.

anyone ever find any good hard info on scotch grains bills? barley! i know, but peat to barley percentages would be a good starting point.

cheers,