Podcasts...

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Podcasts...

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

So a conversation in another thread came up about podcasts and a brewing one I'd never heard of came up and it got me wondering what other ones people like. My mainstays are:

Skeptics guide to the universe (science theme)
Startalk (astronomy)
Cháirborne commando (military news, Grease Bastard I know you're on here)
Dan Carlins hardcore history (...history)
Taming theSRU (medical/resuscitation)
The Poison Review (toxicology)
EMCrit (medical/emergency/critical care)
The Alton Browncast (food)
SOFREP Radio (military news)
Freakonomics (societal issues by economists)

I don't have any beer brewing or wine making yet and there aren't any distilling ones that I have found (looking at you Bear, make it so).

Anyone have any other good ones they like?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Podcasts...

Post by bearriver »

Funny, I'm watching a YouTube video right now from Tek Syndicate. They are talking about affordable options for headsets and recording. They cover dozens of entry level products in the $50 range, and suggest buying the microphone and the headphones separately instead of in one unit. Essentially I can get 3 decent sets for about $150, and I already own a decent solution myself so I could mail out to up to 3 other members. Also, buying manufacture refurbished gives 2x-3x the bang for the buck. :thumbup:

I've also gave some thought to how to format the information and narrative questions for the speakers. The information and people are already available. Someone just needs to put it together. Anyone willing to loan out some basic equipment such as a mic and headphones of decent quality would make an effort much easier. Money is the only thing holding me back from committing to the idea and a time frame, but I think this is going to happen.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

I'd be game to join in on an over seas chat. I'm still fairly new to the whole thing but it would be nice to have a hd podcast or a radio that members could oppt to play their music and have "talk shows" where folks could get together and chat real time on topics to help out newbs.
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

So in doing some more research I found a few whiskey-centric podcasts.

The weekly whisky- seems to be mostly reviews of bottles, with a group of friends drinking. Pretty good actually.

Whiskey Wednesday- another review cast, with friends drinking whiskey and their commentary, pretty funny and they do interesting stuff (like the cheap whisky challenge where all bottles must be under $10). Not bad

The Whiskey Podcast, I think there is probably good info in here but I don't think that the commentators are very interesting, or at least the ones in listened too were not as engaging as the above. Again reviewing individual bottles in a tasting format

WhiskyCast- pretty interesting but short and video based (as opposed to the above audio podcasts). Visits distilleries, talks to industry professionals, pretty darned interesting but really short episodes (Around 10 minutes).

If anyone finds more let me know, I love listening to stuff while doing chores, driving, etc.
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

WhiskyCast - Audio podcast that's been around forever. Kinda the gold standard.
Firewater Network - New audio 'cast that does interviews with craft distillers around the country.
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

Thatnks 3dog, I hadn't stumbled across the firewater network, just subscribed and I'll check it out, I like the concept. Also went back and looked and I had subscribed to the whiskycast HD which is just 10 minute video podcasts, subscribed to their audio podcast, thanks for the heads up.
shaner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shaner »

+1 , 3d0g-

I will listen on my way home today.
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

So I listened to several episodes of whiskycast this evening and I really enjoy it. I highly recommend to anyone else interested in the industry. For some reason the guy reminds me of the guys from Tradio that Howard stern screw prank calls all the time.....