%&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: %&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Post by yakattack »

goinbroke2 wrote:No I'm in NS, check out this mountain in N.B.
150M wide by 300M long and over 3 stories high!
This was a flat field when they started!!!
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/moncton-s- ... -1.2272183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Holy hell.

Makes me wish I could break out the snow board again. Surprised there aren't ppl on it lol.

Yak (rubs aching knees)
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

Ok! 15C(60f) And sunny today :thumbup:
T-shirt and shorts weather finally :clap:
There appears to be an inverse relationship between tangible distilling problems and possible drinking problems...
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

yes i have notice you yanks are starting to steal our heat....again, every friggen year they do this crap to us :roll:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

Yanks? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Check your map, that's Alberta Redneck to you sir 8)
There appears to be an inverse relationship between tangible distilling problems and possible drinking problems...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Plaincrazy wrote:Yanks? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Check your map, that's Alberta Redneck to you sir 8)
What do you expect though, coming from a Kiwi..... :esurprised: :lol:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

:lol: :clap: ok yeah wasn't going to start blaming you guys just yet, figured yaz were too far north to get ya mits on any warmth to date :moresarcasm:
Got some distant rellies in sheepland but never been there yet, actually an Ozzie of Canadian extraction :thumbup:
Granddad was raised on a farm just out of Hamilton Ontario. You could call him about anything but call him a Yank and you had a good chance of landing on ya back. Talking about that with him one day I said well technically you "are" still "American" he nods and says yeah and technically we're in Asia here :lolno: .
Back to changing weather, I am back from the land of shifting sands now, back in the Central Highlands. We get a bit of snow here and a lot of sleet, the warm weather is fading fast and I am not looking forward to the misery to come with unbridled joy :thumbdown:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

Australians and Canadians, so much in common. I wonder why they put us on opposite ends of the earth? Too much trouble if side by side I guess :wink:
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Love to go to Australia some time, I got a "buyer/flyer" type paper from there when a buddy went to see his kid and ex. I was drooling at all the 302/351 cleveland parts available there! Love to get a sea container and load it with ford parts you can't get back here, or can for big $$$.
The only thing I don't understand is the whole "build a huge blown bigblock and stick it in a "ute" with no weight on the rearend then spin around in a parking lot roasting the tires until they blow or they blow up the engine... :wtf: Breaks my heart to see equipment abused and that's all it is, abuse! :evil: I can't even watch the video's of it, first time i saw it I almost punched the computer, haven't watched since...gee can you tell it's a sore spot with me? :lol:
Buddy went to New Zeland, thought that would be cool too, everything good about Australia is there without all the nasty critters that kill you in 10 seconds or less. :shock:

Oh yeah, we got 35cm of snow on Sunday and it started snowing again about 2hr's ago. We're supposed to be getting between 30-45cm tomorrow. :thumbdown: Good news is, I got the new bearing put in the snow blower. :thumbup:

EDIT: wow, talk about smiley overload... :problem:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

I'm sorry bud. Shiy we've been at positive 2 and 3 degrees now for a week. Hope every thing is good on your end.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

HOLY POOP! Woke up this morning and it's a blizzard out there and must of been all night. Had to shovel the step and then a place for the dogs to do there business...it's at 50cm (about 19") and it's not letting up! :shock:

I guess I know what I'll be doing today....running a batch before the power goes out and THEN blowing the driveway. (ya gotta make priorities right?)
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

sorry 'bout your luck. thought i'd throw you a smiley in case you were running low. :D

at least you dont have to go to work today.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I'm on March break so I can't even get a free day out of it dang it! :lolno:
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

This is rediculous..here's a racing buddy of mine in PEI last night. This is a highway he's standing on! Middle of freaking March!

thisguy
Swill Maker

Post by thisguy »

Make an awesome snow fort outa that :P
Lighting new cigarettes
Pouring more Drinks
It has been a beautiful Fight
Still Is

Work hard and say its easy...Cranky's Spoon Feeding
Concentric Still Build
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Jayzus! good thing you got an ocean to drain that into!

Looks like our January thaw is coming to an end, they are calling for a bit o rain and a light dusting this weekend.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

HDNB wrote:Jayzus!
+1 Thats a shiteton of snow.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Maybe we should start packing that stuff in railroad cars and trucking it to areas that need water like southern Cal. befoe it causes problems in the east.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

cranky wrote:Maybe we should start packing that stuff in railroad cars and trucking it to areas that need water like southern Cal. befoe it causes problems in the east.
+1, just need to get it to the headwaters of the Colorado river,
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I knew a guy in MN that was going to FL in the winter, so to add weight for traction he filled the bed of his pickup with snow. Snow melts a lot slower than some people think and 3 or 4 days later when he got to FL he still had plenty so he stopped at a roadside stand and the owner of the stand traded him a crate of oranges for the snow. Many of the kids in the area had never even seen snow and this gave them their very first snowball fight. :D That's what got me to thinking, if the railroad cars were packed well it could make it all the way to Lake Mead without a problem.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

EDIT: just realised this particular post belongs in the liars bench, not a real thread... :oops:
Last edited by goinbroke2 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Jimbo wrote:
cranky wrote:Maybe we should start packing that stuff in railroad cars and trucking it to areas that need water like southern Cal. befoe it causes problems in the east.
+1, just need to get it to the headwaters of the Colorado river,
Around here everybody is freaking about the enviroment, so if it's "clean" snow you can dump it in the harbour, if it's "dirty" snow (roadsalt/dirt/whatever in it) you can't dump it in the harbour. :crazy:

Good point though, ship a hundred train cars to the mid west.... :thumbup:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Well here spring is in full swing now. The pear trees are blooming, apples are starting to bloom and my cherry trees will begin any day now. Even the blackberries are beginning to bloom. It's going to be a very early fruit season.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

It's -3 and we're getting 5-10 cm of snow overnight and calling for 15-20cm tomorrow ending tomorrow night. I've been spending a bit more time on my dragracing forums and getting the bug but the motorhome is still buried in snow. Can't get in the side doors and the car ramp on the back has about 7ft of snow blown up against it.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

29 Mar and I just finished 2 1/2 hr's of blowing snow.....seems worse when it's hot...+3 right now and I'm sweating like a pig....C'mon spring....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Looks like that woodchuck was right, at least for his part of the country. From my time in Minnesota I have always thought of March as "The month of mud", You couldn't fish because the lakes were still frozen and you couldn't do anything else because everything was thawing and muddy. Here it is the time of storms, we had a big one a few days ago. Last year the local pear trees all bloomed on the same day and before the bees could get to them a storm knocked all the buds off. The pears are in full bloom now and I'm holding my breath. It's been a milder than usual winter this year and my cherry trees just bloomed, 3 weeks early so I am worried about losing those too. Reading all this about the winters some of you are having continues to make me glad I live in the PNW.
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

Yesterday, 18 C and sunny :clap: :D
Today 0 C and snow storm :shock:
Welcome to Alberta :wtf:
Good day to hide in the shop and make a first run with my new keg still :thumbup:
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

Plaincrazy wrote:Yesterday, 18 C and sunny :clap: :D
Good day to hide in the shop and make a first run with my new keg still :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Wonderful ain't it? It's one day I'm happy to be unemployed.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

Yesterday was 68.
Day before was 68.
Been 68 since last week actually.
This morning it was 65 and a little foggy.

Damn cold snap. I hope it don't last long.
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

You son of a ...ok, that WAS funny. This morning it snowed for about two hours but never really left anything. Tonight is -7 and tomorrow is supposed to be a high of +4. Snow banks are dropping though, I can almost safely see to back out of my driveway now. WOOHOO!

9 April..the cold joke continues on....
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Plaincrazy wrote:Yesterday, 18 C and sunny :clap: :D
You all can kindly keep your weather out west. I keep asking this, but nobody seems to listen. Nice of you to think of us here in Northern Ontario, but really, it's not necessary. The snow hit here today. Wasn't happy. Wish there was a way we could share "pot hole" season with you guys.