Distillery Tour

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Distillery Tour

Post by Bushman »

I have mixed feelings about the following response I got from a Distillery here in Maui. While here I wanted to do several distillery tours and I still plan on doing two along with a micro brewery that do offer tours. One of the rum distilleries does not give tours but I asked if I could meet with him and told him my situation with my son possibly wanting to open a distillery. Gave him a little bit of my background and was wondering if I could meet him and talk about the pitfalls etc of starting a distillery. I understand that these guys must get a ton of wanna-be's but his response just kind of turned me off. Probably won't buy a bottle of his rum while on the island:
His response:
Aloha My Name,

You are correct; we do not offer tours.

We have had many many inquiries similar to yours from folks wanting to
start distilleries. We offer consulting services on an hourly basis. It
is interesting to see the eagerness to get our expertise just shrink away
to nothing as soon as money is involved.

We have had, however, a few serious well-funded clients who saw the value
of expensive advice and they are now off and running, doing better than
they had hoped.

The wannabes seeking the free advice have universally either failed to
start or started and failed.

Which category are you in?
His Name
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Distillery Tour

Post by Kegg_jam »

I take it he couldn't be bothered unless you have money to spend.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I give tours if prearranged but not by the clock. The only way I can fit them in as my schedule at the distillery is hard to predict.
Seems like a harsh reply but at a level I can relate.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Time is money, when you run a business you understand that.
It was a blunt response but also an honest one, I respect their up front and direct approach.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
thisguy
Swill Maker

Post by thisguy »

Great way to do business...categorize people as either worth my time cause you have money or you're not worth my time cause you dont have enough money...it was the last few lines...

My dad runs a farm with a pasteurizing plant, nothing that special, but what he does with the milk he pasteurizes is unique and over the years he has received inquiries about tours and such. He usually turns them away because thats what makes him competitive in the type of farming he does. But he certainly does not turn them away because of their inability to pay him for a tour...its usually time constraints.
Lighting new cigarettes
Pouring more Drinks
It has been a beautiful Fight
Still Is

Work hard and say its easy...Cranky's Spoon Feeding
Concentric Still Build
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

woodshed wrote:I give tours if prearranged but not by the clock. The only way I can fit them in as my schedule at the distillery is hard to predict.
Seems like a harsh reply but at a level I can relate.
That is why I had mixed feelings about it. I totally understand but didn't care for the feeling I got from his last couple sentences and thought as a potential customer of his product he could have phrased it a bit differently.

Edit: typing at the same time as thisguy, seems like we had the same thoughts!
thisguy
Swill Maker

Post by thisguy »

Yah, Im in the middle of business school...that let me tell you guys, you dont need to sit through classes to know that's NOT the way to treat potential customers.

Plenty of other polite ways to deal with that. Plenty of ways to get somebody who is skeptical of paying for a consulting service to pay for said service, and plenty of other ways to say "sorry we don't do that" without making the person want to completely avoid the product and spread negativity about the brand.

I emailed a guy out in Madison who just started his distillery...took him about a month to get back to me, took him a good month and a half to get back to me...but he started off with something like "sorry for the delayed response, things have been hectic at the distillery, and my wife just had a baby girl, so I havent been able to be around the distillery all that much. Email me at the end of February and Ill make some time for you to come out, take a tour, ask some questions and share a drink if our schedules mesh."
Last edited by thisguy on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lighting new cigarettes
Pouring more Drinks
Still Is

Concentric Still Build
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Very differently. Saddens me to know anyone in the industry would really represent like that.
The high road would have been to explain a basic tour is one thing. Ask a few questions, don't dive into behind the scenes much kinda info.

The advanced tour includes consultation at whatever rate.
Some people just work you over and you find yourself having done a lot of research for someone who is shooting for your shelf space.
I have learned to bow out with business commitments when this happens.
I do not provide consultation other than what I have stated before on this site. That is start with the TTB, and unless you have deep pockets do not quit your day job.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I can see both sides of the coin. And kudos to you bushman for not name dropping.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I have yet to miss a tour that has been setup. Most of these have been same day. When it's a small part of your income you gotta fit the lookers in.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

To be honest his website says they don't do tours, I emailed him just wondering if he had time to chat and why, a no, or don't have the time or even ignore my email I could accept but as stated it was those last few comments that rubbed me wrong!
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

We have had, however, a few serious well-funded clients who saw the value
of expensive advice and they are now off and running, doing better than
they had hoped.

The wannabes seeking the free advice have universally either failed to
start or started and failed.

Which category are you in?
You stumbled on a canned phishing response. I am defiantly not saying it is nefarious, just that they are phishing for business. They apparently have a side business that is dabbling in -or- has been successful in consulting. When they throw out jargon: "Wannabes" and "Free advice" -- "Only serious or well funded who saw the value in this valuable information" -- "Only the select few that are special...or special enough...SMART ENOUGH" (ok I filled in some blanks) etc...etc...etc...They are doing this for filtration purposes; as well as dipping into the psyche of the potential customer-- placing a line drawn in the sand -- on one side winners -- on the other side losers...

Are you a player? Are you willing to go the extra mile that successful people are? Or-- are you just another wannabe that really will never amount to anything...? The solution to ultimate success in this business is to ante-up and pay...

Anyway, that is what I got out of it. Could be wrong. But when my brain tested the integrity of the response, as did yours, it was definitely a turn off.
thisguy
Swill Maker

Post by thisguy »

surprised anybody would bite if theyre willing to say that to somebody.
Lighting new cigarettes
Pouring more Drinks
Still Is

Concentric Still Build
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

woodshed wrote:Very differently. Saddens me to know anyone in the industry would really represent like that.
opinions....i got one of them!

one of the reasons i joined this forum was to learn how to communicate again. I was turning into that kind of dickhead. Forgot where i came from.

now what i do is ask what a person does for a living, before i get into what i do, or the costs. You absolutely do not want to be a veterinarian or a dentist and try to do business with me.
Vetrinarians -the last was a "walk in" so i talked to him, offered my professional opinion and provided a "treatment plan". Before he left I got an invoice made for an initial consult, $70.00, "the treatment plan" $85.00 and 15.00 for "shop supplies" ( i printed an invoice after all!)
When he finished spluttering and getting pissy with me, i explained that my kid found a dying feral cat, and instead of walking by it and leaving it to suffer, or hit it with a 2x4, said "starving student" took it up to the closest vet clinic to be humanely destroyed. This pillar of scoiety charged an "emergency exam fee" ($75.00) a euthenasia fee ($85.00) and you guessed it, 15 bucks for supplies.
(this was a LOT of fun for me, understand anyone else gets a consult and estimate for free)(and i'll spend hours with them)

Ya Kno, i would understand the 15 bux so the guy aint out o pocket, maybe a contribution to the humane society.

But like 'shed says...if you take your living from the industry, you gotta represent.

(don't ask what i do to a dentist)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

woodshed wrote:Some people just work you over and you find yourself having done a lot of research for someone who is shooting for your shelf space.
In Hawaii they have a captive market. Any new distillery will be direct competition, so why help them? You could be putting yourself out of business. Maybe.

I'm just voicing another angle on this. I think this guy is a dickhead and wouldn't last where I'm from.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
TINY
Novice

Post by TINY »

Am lucky in washington to have quite a few local places to visit with questions. Some places charges thousands for classes and some places are eager to help with any question you might have and everything in between. Tell you one thing though i always walk out buying a bottle or 3 from the helpful ones.
I wake up every morning an piss excellence.
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

I agree with Brutal -- definitely a tighter market. I don't blame the company for trying to be profitable -- especially in the face of a possible competitor...they owe it to the company to protect their brand, and maintain that profitability any way possible. Wouldn't be how I would run things, but I have ZERO clue what it would be like running a distillery in Hawaii...or anywhere for that matter.

Tiny, I am from the pacific NW as well -- so is Bushman. We probably have some of the same experiences when it comes to micro distilleries around here. Almost ALL of them love to show off their equipment and operations. At the Mcmenamins distillery roadhouse, I chatted with the main distiller for almost 2hours while he was working through a stripping run. We ended up eating there, booked a future nights stay at their inn, and purchased a couple bottles of white owl. The culture of micro-distilleries here is much different. Probably why reading the response that Bushman received -- had me crossing my eyes a bit. :wtf:
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

What a prick ...Alot nicer ways to say no imo ..
I wouldn't sweat it a lick...Probably something you could've showed him.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

MoonBreath wrote:What a prick ...Alot nicer ways to say no imo ..
I wouldn't sweat it a lick...Probably something you could've showed him.
+111, MB

HAHAHA that's probably the closest to the truth! Guy was intimidated to show off his ignorance!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Bushman.
I went into a local distillery in North Seattle on Elliott and the kind gentleman offered a sample.
This was before the new tasting rules went into effect.
I expressed my interest in distilling and the process.
This young bearded gentleman snapped at me and told me home distilling is illegal.
Needless to say I did not try his vodka.
I also found a family run distillery that invites me down to the production floor When anything is going on regardless of a scheduled tour. I buy their stuff. :) and give their stuff as gifts.

On that note th folks at Bellewood in Lyndon is also super friendly and may let you stick your finger places:)
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We really do have friendly micro distilleries in Washington, like I said I don't mind him not meeting me at all but it was the way it was presented. No worries we have 2 distilleries to visit here anyway and I stopped by the one but my son hadn't arrived yet so I am saving the tour. They charge $10 for the tour and tasting (not a problem) seem like a friendly group. Maui brewing company have partnered with Stone Brewery in CA. Both make very good beer!

PS: After taking my wife to these craft fairs where local artists make jewelry, I think I am going to need a drink!
thisguy
Swill Maker

Post by thisguy »

MyUncleMo wrote: This young bearded gentleman snapped at me and told me home distilling is illegal.
Needless to say I did not try his vodka.
This might be kind of ignorant of me, but lets be real here...how many people who open a micro distillery have not tried their hand at least once or twice in home distilling....Those classes are awesome, but you really dont know what your getting into or if youre going to be good, or make it unless you actually try the process outside of a classroom and develop something unique by yourself.
Lighting new cigarettes
Pouring more Drinks
Still Is

Concentric Still Build
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

99.9% of all licensed distillers with legit business All learned and honed their deal illegally or their forefathers did ..
There's an exception or two out there, not many tho.
One example is in my area ..This guy moves to town, says he used to live here years ago (but nobody knows him personally), and wants donations and town discounts and gratis to start a craft distillery ..Says he wants to put us on the bourbon trail ..All this and he has never made a drop of likker ..So he claims..Asking the population for $150,000 or so, but is very well short and keeps asking the city for more time to get his plan together .. :wtf:
If only he knew. :shh:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Gotta say Bushman I think that would crank my chain also. I would not buy a bottle and none for the family and thank them for their kind letter. Their likkker had better be awesome cause they are lacking in customer service. I would figure out who the owner is and forward the email. I good business owner would appreciate a heads up on sorry as a matter of fact service like that.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

the guy seems like a bit of a prick. after the numerous chats with brewers and distillers i would never expect a responce like that. every one ive talked to has been more than happy to answer all my questions and talk about their craft.

i like the idea that he is a member on the forum and will stumble on to this thread eventually