any numismatists here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

any numismatists here.

Post by pfshine »

I inherited a bunch of coins and some are kinda old. Like a 1875 seated liberty dime. Either way there is a 1930 mercury dime that has an X stamped on the front and back with a chisel. It was in circulation for a while and I don't see any obvious doubling or misprint. Any ideas.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: any numismatists here.

Post by shadylane »

I had to do a Google search to figure out what a numismatists was.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

So im guessing you're not. Maybe the title should have been who knows about coins.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Here are some pics of the dime. The stamped X's line up perfectly front and back. Sorry for the crappy pics my phone is filled with metal dust.
Attachments
Obverse
Obverse
Face
Face
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

This might be better.
Attachments
Face
Face
Obverse
Obverse
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

I am not a coin guy, but I thought I'd be that guy with a random opinion..... I don't think it was a chisel, the lines are too perfectly aligned, and each one of th four matches the angle perfectly, even the one that is slightly off angle from the other three.... I think it was something like bolt cutters or EMS shears... Probably not from the mint, but from some jack wagon wasting their time..... Again just my completely uninformed opinion. :)
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

That looks like someone tried to cut it with a pair of side cutters, which would explain why the impressions line up on both sides.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That makes sense to me, I think I used to do weird stuff like that when I was a kid. Someone tried to cut it into quarters with dykes and failed.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Could be that. To bad thought it might have been a mint reject that accidentally got sent out. I don't know I could be dykes but don't quite look like it due to depth of cut in certain areas. It probably was some jack hole kid 85 years ago playing in dads shed.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I'm thinking this thread could be more. If you collect coins or just find a really cool coin post it up. I will start. Here is an 1886 Indian head cent. Mind you my phone sucks so the pics ain't great.
Attachments
1886 Indian head cent.
1886 Indian head cent.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

OK here is another one. Its a 1901 barber dime.
Attachments
Face
Face
Obverse
Obverse
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I'm trying to take a picture of a coin I have. It's a $1 gold piece dated 1852. I Tried taking a picture with a quarter for reference,but my phone and iPad does not catch any detail when I zoom down. :esad: . It was given to me from my grandmother ( who I never meet). I found it in some of my mothers belongings after she died. It was in an envelope which said for bob on his 21st birthday. Pretty cool huh?
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Well I tried again with phone,then had to transfer to iPad because the resizer is on that.( I'm getting pretty techey another perk on these forums!) any whoo here's the pic:
1852 one dollar gold piece
1852 one dollar gold piece
image.jpg
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Man that is pretty. It is in fantastic condition. You could buy a house with that coin. Hope you got it stashed away in a hidden safe. Thankyou for showing it.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I checked it out... It's pretty common and not worth too much,except in family history!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

OK this one is just for fun. Its a miniature of a silver dollar. First I will show it next to a full size one. The pics don't do justice on how small it is.
Attachments
Face
Face
Obverse
Obverse
On my finger
On my finger
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Huh well you know its always family value first for me unless its one of those ten million dollar coins. I can build more family value down the line. Just kidding. But not really.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Coins have always interested me. But I never seem to find the golden ticket. Once while deer hunting, I was walking down a jeep trail following three other guys and there on the ground was a 1892 silver dollar! It turned out to be the most common dollar out there. Oh well, good memories!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Its funny how little most coins are worth. One would think a coin from the 1860s would be worth alot but no 5 bucks. I still enjoy it but dang I want that magic coin to set me up for a while.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Has anybody ever heard of a sintered planchet? I found a 1959 Jefferson nickel that appears to be copper plated. I can't find much on them other than the black beauty nickels.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Yea, I thought I struck it rich with a 1943 copper penny I found one time. They are worth $50k+. Then I picked it up with a magnet. :( . Some jackass electro plated a steel one.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Ouch. You also need to look out for a 1983 copper penny. There has only been two found I think. The only way you can tell is by weight. Copper penny's weigh 3.1 grams and the zinc ones weigh 2.5 grams. He'll I would be happy with a 1965 silver dime.