Still made to run on a motorcycle?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

normanseven
Novice

Still made to run on a motorcycle?

Post by normanseven »

Hello again all, and thanks for everything I've learned from all of you. I signed up here a few years ago and got interested in pot stills, have learned a little bit.

I have begun motorcycling again, on a Moto Guzzi. My first one was an Eldorado, and this one is a pearl white Bassa.

I used to keep burritos warm on the engine of the Eldorado on long trips. Today I found myself wondering if I could make a still that scavenged engine heat on the Bassa. I could charge it with wash and when I got to my destination there'd be a couple of shots waiting for me.

I know, it's impractical as all hell, but I was just wondering if anybody has stories of somebody going down this road with a car or truck before.

Thanks for everything - Norman
Wash that won't fit in the kettle will fit in ice cube trays...just top them off with output water from the cooling line until there's enough output for a "hot martini".
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Still made to run on a motorcycle?

Post by bearriver »

Got trucks runnin off wood furnaces.

Got stills runnin off wood furnaces.

Never seen a motorcycle with a furnace however...
normanseven
Novice

Post by normanseven »

Yeah, I've thought of a few challenges to be overcome.

Don't know if I'd expect to heat the wash off of crankcase heat - I might need to use the exhaust pipes. Temp control would be an issue. Perhaps just boil it all to hell and build in a burp zone that let's it settle.

Then maintaining the temp up to and around the corner on an aircooled machine...And when you lean, what happens to your plumbing geometry?

I may just have to make some on the stove and saddlebag it. This might be more doable in a truck, where you could run the plumbing through the firewall and monitor it in the cab.

" No officer, we're not drinking. We haven't even started making cuts yet. '
Wash that won't fit in the kettle will fit in ice cube trays...just top them off with output water from the cooling line until there's enough output for a "hot martini".
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Just be sure not to put a thermometer on it or you will never hear the end of it.....

Just sayin
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

bearriver wrote:Got trucks runnin off wood furnaces.

Got stills runnin off wood furnaces.

Never seen a motorcycle with a furnace however...
Sambo_Jones
Novice

Post by Sambo_Jones »

Once you get pass the safety issues I could see a heat exchanger on the exhaust feed a gallon pot still with an air cooled condenser, but how would one make cuts, or monitor the system to shut it down when you got to the tails?
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niegc7QcilM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.