all yall postin pictures

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Re: all yall postin pictures

Post by frodo »

likker is protected by the constitution..its says the pursuit of happiness.

ok,,,thats me. pursuit'n my ass off.

i live in a dry county, that is wet as hell.

its a dont ask dont tell kinda thing..
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Earlier I said that VA has some of the harshest likker laws in the country. There's a reason for that - they tax it and they also collect profits from selling it. They have a lot of skin in the game and want to protect it. It's even against the law in VA to posses a still.

There's a lot of disparity in the likker laws from one state to another. Compare VA to MO - Missouri somehow snuck decriminalization in without most people noticing. Their likker laws could be compared to CO/WA pot laws. In a state like VA or FL, there's probably more to fear from the state than from the feds. We're probably small fish to the feds, but fair game to any local sheriff looking to pump himself up for election.

For some a bust is a slap on the wrist, but for others it's serious stuff. Probably a good idea to know a bit about your state's likker laws and appropriately cover your ass.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

in my state...

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to own or control or have in such person's, firm's or corporation's possession any distillery commonly called a still or any integral part thereof. It shall not be unlawful to own or have in possession a distillery or still in the following circumstances:

(a) Where the same is used exclusively for the distillation of rosin products;

(b) Where the same is used exclusively for the distillation of water;

(c) Where the same is kept and lawfully used in any laboratory;

(d) Where the same is in the possession of any officers of the law, to be disposed of according to law; or

(e) Where the person or corporation can prove that the same is in his or their possession for the purpose of being delivered up to an officer of the law to be disposed of according to law. Any person guilty of violating this section shall be guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be confined in the State Penitentiary not less than one (1) year, nor more than three (3) years for a first offense, and for a second offense he shall be confined in the State Penitentiary not less than five (5), nor more than ten (10) years

I am a aluminum hat wearing prepper with a stock pile of 6mths worth of freeze dreid food
medical equipment and extra brass and components
and "other" things to back it up..
my still is for the sole purpose of distilling water for my consumption in case the zombies attack

they "da Man" can come anytime,,as long as they have a warrant
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I knew that when I started this hobby that there was/is a chance that the man will know on the door. I figure that if they wanna get a redneck in the hills they will. But with bigger fish to fry I don't think think they will. I just found out that a guy I went to school will just died from a herion overdoes two weeks ago. That makes 10 I think in 20 years. I graduated in a class of 178. Id say they got bigger fish to fry but the chance is still there. Be safe and low key.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I for one don't own a still. I do own a couple of steam powered fountains though. I'm a big fan of fountains :D
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've never owned or operated a still. However I'm quite proficient at separating water and alcohol without using of my kidneys.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

There's one advantage to people posting pictures with personal information in the background.
They are "the canary in the coal mine" Law enforcement will pick the low hanging fruit first.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I do remember someone who got busted because he posted a picture of himself with his still on facebook but he also indicated he was going to sell. I also noticed the other day a member here posted a video on youtube that clearly shows pictures of family in the background.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Be interesting to know how many have been busted out of the 27017 members here, id say the stats would be low!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Googe,
I'd be willin' to bet that if one of the 27017 members got busted it was for one of the following reasons:
1. Selling
2. Telling, (short term girlfriend got pissed etc)
3. Doing something else illegal (drugs)

What did I forget??
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

4. Bad luck. (fire man found it)
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Buying a commercial still. Ask those that got raided in FL.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

googe wrote:Be interesting to know how many have been busted out of the 27017 members here, id say the stats would be low!.
I only know of 1 for sure.He had a shed catch fire and couple of the voluntarily firemen that came were also deputy sheriffs.The atf guys said that they wouldn't of pursued the case but deputy's wanted the bust.When he went to fed court they also tried two other fellas for same charge only they had a still for profit size.3 or 4 hundred lbs sugar ect. But it was all of them first offence. They got same fine prayer of judgement for 1 year and 18 months probation court costs.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Tater,
Just out of curiosity, Do we now if the shed fire was caused by the still, or was it just discovered after the fact??
Also is there a news link.....?
Thanks
RR
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

No fire was caused by him leaving a lit hand propane bottle in door of shed and walking away from it without turning it off to answer a phone.Wind blew door shut shed caught fire still was assembled but empty and he had around 3 cases of likker in qt jars.This was back around 07 .Cant remember if paper links were posted or not but this has been discussed on here before .
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

He also told me judge told them all first offence the sentence they got was meant to be a warning.If caught again time would be involved.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Well I am all for law enforcement (my son in law is a policeman) but I hope those deputy sheriffs google search karma and find it..
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

One of the bigger screw ups that I have seen is people posting links (like photobucket) where they have pics of their still. Lots of time there are actually pics of them vacation pics, wife, girlfriend, kids etc.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Reckon I seen a photo of a bust of a bootlegger a couple of yrs back , still looked mighty familiar :wink:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

cranky wrote:I for one don't own a still. I do own a couple of steam powered fountains though. I'm a big fan of fountains :D
:clap:

i have my keg set up as a water heater for beer and my condeser as a counter flow chiller. the column is a potato cannon if anyone asks. :shifty:
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Thanks tater, I'd imagine there'd have to be more, people would be a bit shy at saying they've been busted I reckon!. Still, it shows how interested in the little guys they are.
"Homer J Simpson"
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

[quote="ranger_ric"]Googe,
I'd be willin' to bet that if one of the 27017 members got busted it was for one of the following reasons:
1. Selling
2. Telling, (short term girlfriend got pissed etc)
3. Doing something else illegal (drugs)

What did I forget??[/quot

heard about a guy that was turned in my his neighbor because he spent too much time in his shop, the neighbor said he thought he was making meth. So when the cops came to the door they could see the guys still in his kichen.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Neighbour would want to get getting the hell outa Dodge if that was me is all I can say
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Yeah do gooder neighbours are a pain in the arse, they need to get there own hobby and not worry about what others are doing!. That goes for all do gooders if your watching :P
"Homer J Simpson"
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Sucks they saw the still. Otherwise they could not have done anything. A neighbour calling because he spent too much time in his shed isn't cause for a warrant, regardless what they think.

I spend too much time in my shed Cuz it's quiet. Even if I'm not stilling. Go and just putter around. All ya single guys...Wouldn't totally get that (yet) lol.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

moosemilk wrote:Sucks they saw the still. Otherwise they could not have done anything. A neighbour calling because he spent too much time in his shed isn't cause for a warrant, regardless what they think.

I spend too much time in my shed Cuz it's quiet. Even if I'm not stilling. Go and just putter around. All ya single guys...Wouldn't totally get that (yet) lol.
ive been living with the SOH for 17 days... i wish i had a shed. :shifty:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

WooTeck wrote:
moosemilk wrote:Sucks they saw the still. Otherwise they could not have done anything. A neighbour calling because he spent too much time in his shed isn't cause for a warrant, regardless what they think.

I have a garage and the wife is too afraid of another cave in to even go out there :lol: I need to build a shed so the lawn equipment has somewhere to go to make room for more fermenters.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

cranky wrote:
WooTeck wrote:

I have a garage and the wife is too afraid of another cave in to even go out there :lol: I need to build a shed so the lawn equipment has somewhere to go to make room for more fermenters.
the place has 2 bed rooms so one is to be commendered when i move the rest of my stuff in.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I run my still in a shed, but when the weather is warm I like to open it up so I get some air.
Was running full throttle a couple weeks ago when my next to oldest daughter comes through the gate with a neighbor who was giving us some bark mulch.
Good thing I noticed and got the doors closed up before he could see anything, he's pretty cool but I don't want him to know anyway.
Sorta the "Don't tell" policy - don't let them see it when they get invited into the back yard by your kid without your knowledge.
The kid did get a talking to after, don't think that will happen again.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.