Mash Rookie

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Mash Rookie

Post by Bushman »

I would like to start a thread thanking a member that has not been here for a while as he is in a battle with ALS.

I got to know Scott when we found out we lived in the same area and shared an interest in boating. When I started my second build we were in communication with each other and found out we had complimentary skills (of course his out weighed mine). I wanted to build a 4" column and he offered to help with the condensers both Dephlagmater and Shotgun. I had the drawing and CAD/CNC skills he basically had all the rest. As a well known glassblower/fabricator he had several patients on designs in his profession outside distilling. Scott was a visionary that saw things and questioned things before most of us could imagine them. His short time here on HD raised the bar and led many of us to try things we ordinarily wouldn't have as he challenged people to experiment and gave guidance to many. I am sure most of us have read his comments throughout the forum, sometimes he came on strong and disagreed with what we had to say but was also the first to admit when/if he was wrong and was also quick to thank other members for their contributions.

Scott was loyal to Homedistiller as when he got his licenses to build and sell stills I suggested he join other forums. I believe he made one or two posts on another forum then told me HD has been good to him and that is where his loyalty belongs.

Outside of HD he was a humanitarian that gave to causes. Two examples I can attest too. The first was at a St. Patricks Day party he was hosting in his glassblowing shop. He and his crew gave a demonstration during the party (great party by the way) and took bids on the sculpture he made in front of the crowd. The art piece went for well over $1000 and he donated it to what ever charity the winning bidder wanted the money to go too. The second one came around Thanksgiving, Seattle like many large cities have there share of homeless people. This particular year the Seattle area was hit with large amounts of flooding and the homeless that were living under the bridge were not doing well. He got a local Safeway store and a few members here on HD (me included) to donate turkeys, he also purchased probably around 10 himself. He took them home stuffed them and cooked them all at the same time inside his glassblowing ovens, put them in his van and personally went down and fed the homeless.

I am starting this thread in hopes others here will have stories they would like to share. I will ask his girlfriend Peaches to take some time and read the comments to him as I know that the HD community meant a lot to him. So if you have a story, or in some way benefitted by his contribution please feel free to add to this thread. After a while I will call Peaches and tell her about the thread so she can share it with him.
Thanks,
Bushman
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Mash Rookie

Post by cranky »

Mash Rookie has always been one of my greatest HD Heroes. His work has always inspired me to strive to do better and progress even though my skills could never equal his. Whenever I build something new I consider how MR would do it and try to emulate him. Sometimes I go back and read through his old posts and continue to learn from his works. My all time favorite still any member has built was his Muggles still. It was an absolutely brilliant piece of work and hardly a day goes by that I don't look at it. Recently, inspired by MR I built my very own version of a Muggles still and although the workmanship falls far short of anything done by MR I think about him every time I look at it and am inspired to keep thinking outside the box and continue to do better.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

When I was just a brand new little stiller with stars in my eyes - there were those folks here on HD
whom were what I would call - a bit brash - with their brand of hazing. I, being of thick skin and
minimal brain function, didn't allow those folk to get to me - too often.

Mash Rookie was not ever one of them to do the bashin'. He was encouraging, helpful, sincere and even kind
to a dumb ol' beginner like me. He helped me to not fly off the handle when I would have, No doubt damaging
future relationships and my rewards from this group. For that alone he has my praise.

I have been in awe of his skills for years and always hoped for the time and chance to meet him and pick his brain.

Somethings are perhaps, not meant to be.

Scott, you've made my journey a bit brighter, a bit easier, and a bit more fun. By showing your skills you have made me
work to improve my own. That my friend is a rare gift that I will treasure.

Thank you and God bless you and yours as you round the last bend.

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

When I started checking out HD, delving into the wealth here, searching for topics to get my head wrapped around this whole adventure, MashRookie came up over and over again. He was very active in the forum, always pushing and exploring new ideas. There are many, many super creative, smart, fearless adventurous spirits on here, and MR is definitely among the top, one of the pillars of the history here.

Early on I used the "search user's posts" feature to go back and read up on some of the contributions people made over the years. MR was one of the first I explored, his posts are so full of life, a celebration of quest. It is an odd thing to go back in the forum and re-read threads from a while back, sort of like delving into someone's diary. The fact that his experience here is documented, and will be kept available for those of us just starting out to learn from is a fantastic gift.

It is difficult to read about MR's shitty luck to draw the ALS card, as well as other members on here, past and present, who have had some difficult struggles and been generous to share with the herd here. I had the biggest grin a few months back when, out of the blue, Mash Rookie turned up in one of Rad's threads, all piss and vinegar, setting folks straight, still 100% MR.

I wish you nothing but strength and courage, Scott, and know that you continue to be, through your threads here, a great source of information and inspiration for many of us!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Some of his contribution to this community:
1. As an artist he challenged us to be creative and add beauty to function.
2. He was the first to experiment with lava rock and different sizes for calculating efficiency.
3. He was the first that I know of to build an external glass downcomer to see what was happening before building glass columns for his experimentations. He was always curious and in search of answers on how things work and why.
4. He started threads he knew would be at times controversial but always spark dialogue to get members thinking
5. He put his money where his mouth was willing to invest to further the hobby and the level we currently enjoy.
6. I wrote a thread on making your own copper mesh when he was know longer posting on HD. The design and ideas along with the money he spent to have the copper tested to make sure it was 100% copper used in the thread was all his design.
7. He designed jigs to build his and my current twisted shotgun condenser.
8. As a fabricator he was always willing to help people with design, welding techniques, etc.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Mash Rookie taught me a lot with his creativity and unusually high skill levels. Those are some functional art pieces.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Scott proved to be a very valuable member of this community, and an early and frequent donor to help us out financially.

His skills as a glassblower are outstanding and world class. His knowledge and helpful nature in the realm of distillation helped make these forums a better and more accessible place.

Thanks for all you've done, Scott, it has not gone unnoticed. Wishing you and your loved ones peace and strength during difficult times.

Dave
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

No doubt about it. Scott is an amazing artist, engineer, fabricator.

I can think of only 3 people in recent years that have brought the most inspiration to this forum and to the community at large.

Old Dog
Mash Rookie
Ozone
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

MR is one few people whose been a true friend to me and the HD community as a whole.He is one of the most honest and giving members we have had .His good deeds will not be forgotten here .Best of luck to you and yours Mash Rookie.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I have enjoyed to read his posts and to see his beautiful work.
Reading the other day he was stricken by this serious disease, surely brought darks skys over this forum.
Best wishes for him and his family.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

When I first came here Mash Rookie's art work amazed me. It was hard to believe that someone could do what he did. He always was willing to answer questions about how he did it and lots of times he had made jigs to make the art. When some one is willing to go through that kinda effort to help someone that is the kinda friend I want. Most of the time people with that talent are selfish.... Just the opposite with Mash Rookie. The artwork looked like he had put all the effort he had into that 1 piece and the person that would get it was the most important person in the world. Mash Rookie if you read this thanks for everything you did for everyone here.

Cheers and best wishes to you and your family,
Halfbaked
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

In a league of his own inspiring us all to step up our craft.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I, like MichaganCornhusker, came late to the party that is HD. But Mash Rookie has always been one of the "legends" to me. Good wishes and prayers going your way Mash Rookie! :clap: :clap: :clap:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

My hat goes off to MR. When I was a complete noob just starting to read here and asking dumb questions I would always seek posts from MR as I could understand the wisdom. I have a bit of artistry background myself in other mediums. I found the way he could use copper in a still and make it art at the same time very inspirational. Master copper smith he is.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

When I first came here a couple years ago, Mash Rookie posted fairly often and when I would see his name I would eagerly open the thread to read his posts. There were and are only a few others that spark my curiosity in that way. His work, his advice, and his presence here have been an inspiration to all of us. He left his imprint here - not for any praise it brought, but because of his interest in being a part of a great hobby. His contribution here is tremendous and his legacy will always be appreciated. There haven't been too many true masters here and MR would be in that short list.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

A tough, jack trades,and by gosh, a master of quite a few.
Ahead of most our times ..Hopefully be around a while longer.
Alittle knowledge with some attitude ..Hey, when you're good, you're good. :thumbup:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

S-Cackalacky wrote:When I first came here a couple years ago, Mash Rookie posted fairly often and when I would see his name I would eagerly open the thread to read his posts. There were and are only a few others that spark my curiosity in that way. His work, his advice, and his presence here have been an inspiration to all of us. He left his imprint here - not for any praise it brought, but because of his interest in being a part of a great hobby. His contribution here is tremendous and his legacy will always be appreciated. There haven't been too many true masters here and MR would be in that short list.
Very well stated. I was a seeker of Mash Rookie as well. His ability to make us all think with a fresh perspective.
Priceless.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

MashRookie, Thanks for sharing your art. I have enjoyed your posts immensely using the time machine on your previous posts. Your art, knowledge and skills have been an inspiration and i'm sure will continue to be!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Mr and I had a little bit of falling out mostly due to me being crazyer then he is. I wish I had fixed that, he kept me focused on other thing like new distilling ideas rather then dwelling on the though parts of life. I'm grateful for that.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Also I did build an unbelievable vodka still by getting outside the box.if anything I think he has been a large part of pushing the limit.he is the the guy that didn't theorize he did it proved it.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Thank you for all your contributions to our hobby mashrookie. Your passion shows in what you build, something I can relate to. Its a personal thing, no matter what anyone says, its all about sitting there looking at what you've created and being humble with it. My fav of yours is http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=22305. Members like yourself have helped progress our hobby to new levels an idol mind can't do. All the best to you and your family mate.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

To a master craftsman with the wisdom of a sage, an artist of the highest caliber, and a teacher whose lessons will guide all of us here at HD for a very long time, I thank you. Words can not possibly express how grateful myself and all the other members here are for what you have done for our community. You've set the bar very high, my friend. I only hope that some day I may be able to contribute as much to this community as you have.

Cheers, Mash Rookie!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

MR is an innovator an artist and a boundary pusher. His posts and ideas are missed.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

MR left a high water mark on these forums. It's amazing to look back at those contributions as we continue moving forward with them in our minds.

Cheers, Mash Rookie!
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I am a fan, always enjoyed Scott's contributions and he will be missed.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
Myles.
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

I too was somewhat late to the HD party but I also would seek out and enjoy the artistry and the knowledge of Mash Rookie's post.
It is the true innovators such as yourself that keep me reading late at night.
THANKS MR :thumbup:
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

I miss him, we miss him.

He is a leader by example, and a great mentor.

Please take a moment to express my thanks to him for the things that I learned from him.

Best regards. I wish I could have called you my friend.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Hi Scott I hope this message fines you in good spirits. I have for some time wanted to thank you for your ideas, encouragement, support on occasion and friendship. I was not for the first time reflecting on on your posts and private messages. Its not often we seem to come into contact with really good guys. Lurking here I liked your posts right off the bat not only the great ideas and research you so generously shared but your nature that shined vividly through your posts. You always helped noobs and actively encouraged new positive ideas, your great dry as yesterdays chips humour and sense of social justice that I so admired. A great many of your posts are both informative and fun to read and contribute to. This is one of the most fun threads I have been involved with Dispelling a myth. why you can make whiskey in a reflux column but it was this thread that lead me to believe that lava rock would make for a great packing strata for a rectifying module on a plated column Lets Talk Column Packing
As you know EG and I had great success and it was due in no small way to reading and comprehending your research. I was looking for a cheap readily available reflux strata that would work well in larger diameter columns. Hundreds of guys now use this modular method to make neutral from a plated column, just one of the many legacies of your many thought provoking posts. it was with some sadness and regret I re-read in private messages your intention to travel down under to meet up with a few of us, great times would have been had, then shortly after your message concerning your unfortunate diagnoses
I would like to tell you i did end up trying Coke coal and it did preform as expected but with the availability and price of lava stone (scoria) being easy and cheap and the results being so similar I didn't see the point in promoting it beyond to say it was an option and regret to say at this stage have not got round to testing expanded perlite for the same purpose (but would expect the same or similar results).
Your presence is greatly missed here and very obviously your legacy is much appreciated by a great many. I will finish saying may God bless you and your family
Sincerely Daz the crow :wave:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

My prayers are with you MR. You always gave sage advice with a pleasant word.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sad news as MR passed away on Thursday. I sent a link to his girlfriend and she will/has shared the nice comments made by our members with his two children.