My son the deejay ...

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

My son the deejay ...

Post by Odin »

Hi guys!

My son has been making music ever since he ... well, since he grew out of his dipers, I guess. I am mighty proud of that. Especially, since I am not musical at all. I love to listen to music, but making music ... no, not for me.

Anyhow, my son is 17 years old and has been producing his own music for a few years now. Mellow House, I think, describes what he does. Not to everyone's liking, House Music, but he seemed to have picked up a few followers along the way.

We got contacted like two months ago by an agency that wants to invest in him and see if he will be the next young DJ. They flew over to Amsterdam to meet us and to talk about what they could do. Very interesting, but a world I don't know anything about. Steep learning curves.

Long story short? My son signed a contract with them and his first production (as I think it is called) will be released coming Tuesday. Very interesting stuff. I will post a link here, so others can listen to what he's making.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My son the deejay ...

Post by humbledore »

Very cool Odin, a great accomplishment for your son. My youngest son (12) is into making electronic music on audiotool.com. Hope things work out great, look forward to your link.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I look forward to hearing it, and congrats on your son's success.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

As a house (and all electric music in general) enthusiast I am eagerly awaiting this. Congrats to your son, make sure you both read any contracts before signing. And ask lost of q's. They can be very difficult to navigate and the labels are out to make money, and some (not all) take advantage of young artist who don't know the industry well.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Donincognito
Novice

Post by Donincognito »

I certainly hope that you had a lawyer look over the contract before it was signed.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

:clap:

Congratulations Odin! You must be very proud of your son's accomplishments.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Odin, bring some of his stuff when you come for Proof 2015 and we can listen on the deck with a drink!
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Cool Odin... He might be on track and get famous with his band.. :)
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

That's brilliant Odin. I say the apple does not fall far from the tree. Your son obviously shares your ability to be creative in a big way.
I'm goin the distance...
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

thats really cool, will have to get it posted so i can give it a listen.

i have a few mates are have been signed to lables. its hard to make any real money unless you are out gigging alot. good luck to him.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here are two of my son's "earlier" songs. Not the official release. That will be the day after tomorrow, but here are two examples of his work so far. Chris told me to tell you this is music intended for house events, so there's pretty long intro's so the dj can dial in a new number while the old one is still playing. Okay.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisporterofficial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

... and here is his new website as well as his first pro release!

http://chrisporterofficial.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Regards, Odin.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

This is very cool, Odin, ain't it great being a dad! You must be very proud, thanks for posting.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

My son has played bass in several bands, DJ's, and has also mastered several of his own Dubstep CD's... Partially takes after me as I also DJ'd many years ago, back before he was born... The part of my brain that used to be able to play multiple instruments seems to have vanished, however...

Wishing your son success, Odin...!!! :thumbup:
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Your son is incredibly talented. Does he have any albums for sale (hard copy?) Would love to support him. He is def an artist I will follow.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Hi guys, thanks for all the nice comments!

Yak, I just asked Chris, and he told me they are thinking of a limited edition hard copy of the song on CD. For now, "Tears" can be downloaded freely. Future releases will be available via iTunes Store, etc.

Update on the "spread": Chris's song has been played over 10,000 times in just 12 hours after posting. And the social media campaign hasn't even started!

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Well, a bit over 72 hours after "Tears" was released, now, over 35,000 people listened to the song. I think that means it is moving in the right direction!

Haha, I am already happy to see my Facebook and Blog post reach like a 1000 people!

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Over 50,000 people listened to "Tears" so far! And here's a very nice pro review of his song by DJ Magazine, which, as I understand, is also responsible for making the annual DJ Top 100:

http://djmag.nl/chris-porter-tears-original-mix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Next week? Talks with Warner ...

Regards, Odin.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

thats impressive. we;; done to him. wont be long till he's touring with all the vices it brings with it. :moresarcasm: