what is too hot and what is too cold

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

what is too hot and what is too cold

Post by likker liker »

The day before the 4 of July it's 95 out side now. they, the so called expect say it's going to be 100 today.
I can't work outdoor in this.
the insurance company told me yesterday that I need to trim the tree branches that are touching the roof. OK 95 deg :sarcasm: ree on the ground 1000+ up on the roof. That's to hot, So I'm going to have a bloody marry.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: what is too hot and what is too cold

Post by bearriver »

I was on a hot roof all day yesterday. It was 90 degrees out before I even left the house on my way to the job. :evil:

Making up for it today. Running the still, the wife and yougins are playing down the street at the neighbors with kids the same age, AND i got ice tea. Life is good.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Man you're lucky it's only a hundred.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

35 deg C (95F) last Saturday/Sunday and strapped in a race car, yup, hot enough thanks :crazy:
Seems only yesterday we were complaining about the Alberta cold :roll:
There appears to be an inverse relationship between tangible distilling problems and possible drinking problems...
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

spent a lot of time on roofs, im a very happy guy to keep my feet on the ground these days.

stay safe out there working

cheers, HAPPY 4th (seems like a good time for a sip)
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'll say this, I didn't move to cold wet rainy Seattle to be in clear sunny dry hot weather. 90 degrees is unbearably hot here and I don't like it one bit. I may even have to buy some balkers yeast because it's getting too hot in my garage for 1118. :evil:
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

cranky wrote:I didn't move to cold wet rainy Seattle to be in clear sunny dry hot weather. 90 degrees is unbearably hot here and I don't like it one bit.
Indeed us PNW folk don't cope well with the heat. I normally won't work in the summer unless I absolutely have to. Not unlike how some people won't work in the rain.

It's too damn hot to do anything that doesn't involve a cold alcoholic beverage. My drinking goes up %1000 and my productivity goes the other way. :mrgreen:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

we may get 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding, but at least you can dress for the cold.

It's simply impossible to take off enough clothes when it gets over 30*C

you can still do things at -45* (like huddle in front of a fire, thaw out gas lines, jump start your car ((run a still)) ) but at plus 30 all you can do is seek shelter. i don't know how anyone could even go outside at 40*C...i'd melt.
PF, those temps you get in the desert... thats nuts. i'd go off like a flash bulb 3 steps from the door.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Ahh what's 50°c between friends huh. People think I'm weird because I wear jeans all year round.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

pfshine wrote:Ahh what's 50°c between friends huh. People think I'm weird because I wear jeans all year round.
And people think I'm weird when I go to the mailbox in shorts and moccasins when it's -20F... :lolno:
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

-20 wow could I use a day like that. 105 yesterday 100 in the shade here now And I'm working on a very hot nitro methane funny car fuel system.
I've been in -40F before, I can be more productive in that than this hot :crazy:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

It doesn't bother me at all really. When I was in the corps I had to wear full dress everything, with flack jacket Kevlar ammo and a frog suit. This was in Ar Ramadi right next to the river there was a hundred twenty plus 80 percent humidity. Now I'm a welder in Catching Fire on a daily basis is no big deal in a hundred twenty degree heat at least while wearing half a cow in leather. Oh and power houses are much hotter on the inside than they are on the outside.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

pfshine wrote: Oh and power houses are much hotter on the inside than they are on the outside.
I can vouch for that. In my younger days I was a welders helper on a coal fired power plant rebuild while staying no less than 80% active. Stepping through the door in the morning was like walking into Hell itself. Dark, everything coated in 2 or 3 inches of sulfur and HOT. If I remember correctly it was 135F on the 3rd level, above that level the thermometers were removed. It was over 100 outside and when you went outside you stopped sweating. It was one of the things that drove me to a much different career path and much colder weather which eventually landed me where I am now where the temps aren't supposed to reach 100 :(
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

cranky wrote:
pfshine wrote: which eventually landed me where I am now where the temps aren't supposed to reach 100 :(
:lolno: Nope. Been here all my life. It can get 100 but it's typically only one or two days a year when it happens. The east side of the state is a different beast however...

It's one of those things you get used to. Be it hot, dry, cold, wet...ect. I work wet no problem. Done some work once that made my employer think I was an otter.

You get raised in the desert and you learn to love the heat. You play in the rain long enough and you forget it's even there.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I tell you what it is dang nice out today. It's only 102 in the shade with a slight hair dryer breeze. And my pool is a refreshing 90 to boot.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

A 90 degree pool is refreshing???? :wtf:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

pfshine wrote:I tell you what it is dang nice out today. It's only 102 in the shade with a slight hair dryer breeze. And my pool is a refreshing 90 to boot.
i keep mine at 84. sumbitch is nice and warm in the winter. guess you have put ice in yours to get it to 84?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

bearriver wrote:
cranky wrote:
pfshine wrote: which eventually landed me where I am now where the temps aren't supposed to reach 100 :(
:lolno: Nope. Been here all my life. It can get 100 but it's typically only one or two days a year when it happens.
It's actually funny, when I first moved here I bought 3 window air conditioners in April and people told me I was crazy. That summer, and every summer since, those A/Cs go in the windows in late May or June. This year was actually the latest. Then come July when it gets over 85 everybody is running around trying to buy an air conditioner and can't, while I have a nice cool house :D One of these days we plan on installing a heat pump, probably mini splits. It amazes me that new homes here are built with no A/C and sell for outrageous money that way.
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

I used to fix ac units. Would have to crawl in an attic to work on the air handler at 2pm in August. 150 degrees was not uncommon. When you crawl outside into 95 degrees and you get a chill, you know things are messed up. Then after I got home I had to take a hot shower to open my pores up enough to scrub the insulation out. Hurts just thinking about it
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've spent time north of the artic circle and also near the equator.
But this was in my younger years. Now cold and heat are bothersome.
When it's too cold, it's easy for me to put on more clothes to keep warm.
It's no longer morally, socially or legal for me to take off enough clothes too stay cool.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

bearriver wrote:A 90 degree pool is refreshing???? :wtf:
It is when it's 120 outside. The temp you see on the news is taken in a large open field no asphalt or buildings around and in the shade. The only reason the pool is that hot is, it has been super muggy here and evaporation hasn't been able to do it's job.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

pfshine wrote:
It is when it's 120 outside. The temp you see on the news is taken in a large open field no asphalt or buildings around and in the shade. The only reason the pool is that hot is, it has been super muggy here and evaporation hasn't been able to do it's job.
Sounds more like a cauldron than a pool to me :eh:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

It is when it's 120 outside. When my oldest was stationed at 29 palms we went down to welcome him back from the sand bowl. It was 125 during the day, 90 at 6:00 am. Bloody hot when your used to 65 round the year! A pool at 90 feels like jumping into the ocean around here(54).
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Yep the stumps is pretty sucky. I spent too much time out there.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

When where you out there? My son was in the 2/7 starting in 2006.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

05 then 06 twice then the beginning of 07. The first three times I was testing a new breaching tank called an ABV (assault breacher vehicle) I got some fun stories with that, just think giant metal box in the desert sun. The last time was for extensive desert combat training.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Yeah the palms weren't shady, my son was in the weapons platoon as a mortar man.... They did not have a steller reputation.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

pfshine wrote:
you are dead right shine. I won't get in mine under 90. you get some funny looks telling folks their water is cold
paddle boarding off maui, or snorkeling off 7 mile beach in Negril.
the grandkids don't mind early and late season though.
be water my friend
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

So it has been really nice here in the past couple days. Barely over 105. The cloud cover and wind has dropped the pool to the mid 80s. I would go swimming if I wasn't scared of lightning.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

We are still hitting the 90s but this weekend it's supposed to cool back down to normal temps of high 70s-low 80's just in time for Bearriver's get together.