Gotta love Walmart.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

S-Cackalacky
retired

Gotta love Walmart.

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Last night I was getting my ducks in a row to ass press four 5 gallon buckets of URRV. I discovered I was missing the top bucket for the ass press. I have 7 buckets of ferment going and a few others have grains stored in them. Usually I'm blessed with extra buckets.

Anyway, early this morning I set off to Walmart for 2 or 3 buckets. They had blue buckets at the end of the isle in the paint dept on sale for $2+ each. The only white buckets they had were in a big stack way up on a top shelf. My daughter and I near knocked ourselves out tumbling the stack of buckets down off of the shelf. So, I loaded 3 buckets into the cart and started looking for lids - NO lids. How is it that they have maybe 50 buckets on the shelf for sale and NO lids? How many people do you know who would want a bucket intended to store paint with NO frickin' lid? I could understand how maybe someone overlooked ordering the lids at one store, but I had the same thing happen at a different Walmart. I have at least one spare lid that I can use for the ass press, but I guess I'll have to hope that TSC or Lowe's lids will fit the Walmart buckets. I normally prefer TSC buckets, but was kinda forced into getting them from Walmart in this case.

Done venting.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Gotta love Walmart.

Post by DAD300 »

If you have a Fire House Sub store near by, they sell pickle buckets with lids, for $2 donation to a charity. Of course you have to fight the garlic smell for a while.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Every time you walk into walmart it takes 15 seconds off your life.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
gemcutter
Novice

Post by gemcutter »

supermarkets that have a bakery have icing buckets that are food grade and will mostly give them away if you ask. You even might get lucky and get to lick icing off your fingers on the way home.The five gallon ones have a rubber seal in the lids too!
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

And... Home Depot buckets are orange and say"Let's do This!"
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

We just got a Wal Mart here a couple of months ago. Still haven't been in there.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

woodshed wrote:We just got a Wal Mart here a couple of months ago. Still haven't been in there.
Land of cheap Chinese shit. Mostly. I do get Mobil1 there tho for oil changes. $23 for the 5 quart jug is the cheapest Ive seen it anywhere.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I have never seen an Ass Press in action, could you show pictures? And possibly give some details of operation. I am always curious to see and learn new procedures.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Corene, I just a few minutes ago finished pressing my URRV wash. I have a "cornbread and buttermilk whiskey" fermenting and I'll try to remember to take some pics when I press it. No ass involved with mine. I use a 5 gallon bucket of water for the weight. I don't think there's ever been a thread dedicated to the ass press. I'll see if I can put something together for those curious to see it.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

woodshed wrote:We just got a Wal Mart here a couple of months ago. Still haven't been in there.
I aint got a walmart with in 45 min drive
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

jedneck wrote:
I aint got a walmart with in 45 min drive
Our nearest was an hour away until they moved in here.
Now we are getting a Starbucks. Told the SOH town was getting to hi flalutin for me and we might have to move.
Then I stepped back and remembered we live in paradise and giving up casa de shed would be impossible.
So I'll deal with it. Still gonna get my coffee at the gas station.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Corene, I just a few minutes ago finished pressing my URRV wash. I have a "cornbread and buttermilk whiskey" fermenting and I'll try to remember to take some pics when I press it. No ass involved with mine. I use a 5 gallon bucket of water for the weight. I don't think there's ever been a thread dedicated to the ass press. I'll see if I can put something together for those curious to see it.
Sorry, but all I could envision was you sitting on a bucket squishing beer out of the mash. :D
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Well, that's the way it's suppose to be done. OBX Phantom is the creator of the ass press and I think that's exactly the way he does it. When I use it I have it sitting on a couple of plastic milk crates to get it high enough to drain into a 5 gallon plastic water jug. I would need a ladder to get my ass high enough to sit on it.
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

This discussion got me motivated to press a wash that was ready. I took some pics of my press. Not sure why
some of the pictures turned.
first bucket with spigot to drain off pressed beer
first bucket with spigot to drain off pressed beer
second bucket with drain holes drilled into it
second bucket with drain holes drilled into it
paint bag placed inside bucket with holes. This bucket goes into the one with the spigot
paint bag placed inside bucket with holes. This bucket goes into the one with the spigot
add grain to the second bucket with the paint bag
add grain to the second bucket with the paint bag
third bucket filled with water to add weight. I also sit on this bucket.
third bucket filled with water to add weight. I also sit on this bucket.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Much like what I have. The bottom bucket I use is a 6 gallon beer bottling bucket. It gives about 6+ inches of space at the bottom. I don't bother trying to siphon off any of the wash. I just dump it all in and wait for the liquid to pass through the strainer before pressing the grains.

If you click on the pics, they get flipped to the correct orientation on a new screen. Thanks for posting them up.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Went to the new WM in Flatwoods, WV. the other day.

Living proof that there's no lifeguard at the gene pool.
Blah, blah, blah,........
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

FMH, haven't seen you around in a long while. Hope you're doing OK.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Thanks SC, been hangin' low fer awhile and wondered what you folks have been up to.
Blah, blah, blah,........
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

My sister is a manager of a Wal-Mart store,evil and vile company. Watch "*The high cost of doing business" movie about Wal-Mart. Almost makes you never want to step foot in one again. I asked her about the lids that were mentioned on original post. At her store...they pay .08 cents for a bucket.Lids are determined by store zoning...you can have a setup plan for buckets but no spot for lids.So when buckets are ordered/reordered you wont get lids becus you have no shelf area to hold them. Btw...next time you go through grocery look at the big packets of powdered Gatorade...They pay 1/2 of a cent per packet..lol
Is your life worth.."Better fix that next time"????
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

It's like hot dogs. The more you know, the more disgusting they are.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
stilldistillin
Bootlegger

Post by stilldistillin »

gemcutter wrote:supermarkets that have a bakery have icing buckets that are food grade and will mostly give them away if you ask. You even might get lucky and get to lick icing off your fingers on the way home.The five gallon ones have a rubber seal in the lids too!
Went to my local bakery today to get some, and they said some guy just walked in a few hours ago and took them all this morning. UGH.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Sorry bout that.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Our local Walmart gives away their 2 and 5 gal round buckets with lids. They originally had icing in them. They give them away rather than throw them away. I went down and spoke to the dept manager, she took my phone # and called when they had 10 ready. They also have rectangular buckets I'm not interested in. Check it out, they may give them to you. Kiwi Bruce
Getting hung up all day on smiles
stilldistillin
Bootlegger

Post by stilldistillin »

kiwi Bruce wrote:I went down and spoke to the dept manager, she took my phone # and called when they had 10 ready.
kiwi Bruce wrote:.. called when they had 10 ready ..
kiwi Bruce wrote:10
:shock:
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

skow69 wrote:It's like hot dogs. The more you know, the more disgusting they are.
I did startups for years, mostly refineries and chemical plants. After a winery, never wanted to be involved in making anything I like to eat. Backslid into a "builds strong bodies 12 ways" startup and it was about 6 months before I could eat commercial bread. Food production has always had a gross side, but mas production ups the yuck factor.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Gave a fella who works at a Dairy Company a Quart of Shine. Next day he showed up with 20 Food Grade ice cream mix buckets with lids.
You can trade Shine for Anything (including Sex) in Appalachia. Not kidding boys.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Not kidding stilldistillin I got 20 buckets (15 X 2 & 3 gal and 5 X 5 gal) Our local Walmart goes though this number in about two weeks, and if no one comes in to get them, they go to to the dumpster.
Getting hung up all day on smiles