Any CPAP users

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Any CPAP users

Post by shadylane »

Been using a CPAP for several years and beyond a doubt it's been a life saver.
Any fat old men here that snore like a freight train and don't sleep well ?
On a side note, I'm planning on using an old CPAP bought at a junk store for $8 for a cooling fan on a aircooled defleg
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Any CPAP users

Post by Bigbob »

Used one for a least a year... Could not believe how it changed my life. I dream now!!! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

The only time I snore is when I'm drunk.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

It's not for snoreing, it's for a condition that is life threatening. I didn't know how bad it was untill my cousin clued me in. They use a small wrist monitor to check you when you are being tested. I had 65 instances in one hour! That means I stopped breathing every instance. People do die from this, I urge anyone who's loved one says that they snore or stop breathing when they sleep to get checked out, you'll be amazed.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Your right Bigbob, it's not for snoring. :lol:
But it fixed the snoring, sleep apnea, acid reflux, falling sleep while driving and morning head aches.
There's a couple of things I didn't mention, such as a good nights sleep, pleasant dreams and waking up with wood.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I know it's for sleep apnea and such. Might just need one when I drink.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

shadylane wrote:Been using a CPAP for several years and beyond a doubt it's been a life saver.
Any fat old men here that snore like a freight train and don't sleep well?...
+1.

Nearly 30 years now. I'd die without it. They're pretty hi-tech now. My new pump has its own wifi hotspot so the doctor can monitor performance without an office visit.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

pfshine wrote:I know it's for sleep apnea and such. Might just need one when I drink.
If I go to sleep after drinking too much, the memory on my CPAP shows it ran at a higher pressure than normal.
So yes sleep apnea is worst when drinking.
robb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robb »

Yes snoring is a good indicator for OSA (obstructive sleep apnea)(apnea=no breath). CPAP keeps your upper airway open so you can breath and go into REM (dream) sleep. REM and stage 4 sleep is when your internal (think heart) organs rejuvenate. Shadylane.. many good benefits! If you have untreated OSA you may be "asleep" but may not be getting sleep. Sorry for preaching.. did studies for a year and am a big believer. Using my CPAP for 2 years, my heart beats normal during REM, that now I get a lot of. Note that most insurance allows a test after 5 yrs or major change.

+
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Had apnea bad a few years ago. Waking up several times a night gasping for air, feeling like you are drowning and too afraid to fall back asleep because it's that bad. Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's (auto-immune disease where body attacks the thyroid). Turned out my apnea was caused by my enlarged thyroid blocking airway. Meds now and all is well. Was on urgent list for sleep clinic originally.

Feel for anybody with untreated apnea. That feeling of waking up "drowning " is still vivid a scary as hell.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Funny thing...the pump fills me like a balloon. In the morning, I "deflate" for a bit, with the intentions of eliminating the cramps in my bowels. It's a little like releasing an inflated balloon...buzzing wildly for a moment or two. :econfused:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

shadylane wrote:...cooling fan on a aircooled defleg
Is there a project thread for this yet?

On topic: CPAP's have saved the lives of hundreds of snoring husbands
Medstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Medstiller »

still_stirrin wrote:Funny thing...the pump fills me like a balloon. In the morning, I "deflate" for a bit, with the intentions of eliminating the cramps in my bowels. It's a little like releasing an inflated balloon...buzzing wildly for a moment or two. :econfused:
ss
SS- That is called Aerophagia, or swallowing air. It may mean you are not tolerating the pressure you are on or are on too high of a CPAP pressure. The fix for this is switching you to a different pressure delivery called BiPAP. BiPAP uses one pressure for when you breath in and a lower pressure when you breath out. Switching to this may mean a return to the sleep lab for a BiPAP titration (The Gold standard) but automatic BiPAP machines are available and may work without a return to the sleep lab. Most insurance companies will pay for a repeat titration for Aerophagia. You should talk to your sleep provider about this. Swallowing air is not normal. This is what I do for a living.

MedStiller
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Medstiller's right. Blowing air into your stomach is a problem.
The CPAP machine I use is a Resmed S9 autoset. Technically it's a APAP
It can automatically adjust the inhale pressure and reduces the pressure when I exhale.
Naturally I've hacked into it and make my own adjustments. :roll:
Also found another S9 cpap for $200 on craigslist that had 220 hours, it's my spare.
Can't sleep without a cpap and my old one has over 16,000 hours on it.
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

I have had a cpap or bipap for 15 years my insurance allows me a new one every 5 years I would put up one hell of a fight if someone tried to take it from me I'd let my phone computer and PlayStation go before i would my bipap. I had on my last sleep study I had 70 apneas in an hour and my heart skipped a beat each time. I really don't miss waking up gasping for air.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I don't snore that much... but I do have sleep apnea.. Pretty bad actually. O2 stats were hitting 80% when I slept... Have for a long time now... and it really helps a lot. The worst thing ... had it since I was a kid....... apparently...

Once used to the machine almost impossible to sleep without a machine.

I know I had a bad night if I wake up seeing black and white in the morning... Color comes back in about 30 minutes once I am awake though.

When i went for the sleep test.. they sent everyone else home... and kept me there to talk to the doc. They insisted I get a machine that day. I guess it was pretty bad.

B
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

My machine just rolled 32000 hours, I would have been dead years ago without it. I took about a two year break from it when I had my weight way down, but that was years ago.
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

I also have copd and when its acting up I use my cpap it helps releave the symptoms just an add bonus in my opinion only thing that sucks is the 12 foot tether
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I've had a CPAP for several years and yes it certainly makes a difference.
If you're overweight and you snore, very good chance you have sleep apnea. Doctors who are friends of mine assure me it IS life threatening.
However, I also have a real shortness of breath during the day. I've wondered if the CPAP doing "the work" for me at night might make it worse.
I gotta remember to ask my Dr. on my next visit.

However, I had a different reason for searching CPAP. My first CPAP machine was deemed "obsolete". No longer serviced by Resmed but perfectly serviceable.
So they couldn't simply service & adjust my machine, but insurance would pay for a brand new machine and several masks.
(That's a conversation for another place and time)

I understand boiling water needs oxygenation. Seems my old Resmed would be ideal for pumping filtered air and is designed to easily run all night long.

I also would think it's an ideal way to bring down mash temp prior to pitching yeast.
One other thought for those not blessed to be as "unhealthy" as me :sick:
I rarely see used CPAPS on the market. It is my understanding that you cannot resell a machine WITH the mask, as together that is considered a piece of medical eqpt for which a prescription is required. I believe you can buy the machine by itself. So if you have a fat friend that looks like they snore, you might want to ask if he has a spare he'd like to get rid off.

CHEERS!
:yawn: :yawn:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Bigbob wrote:Used one for a least a year... Could not believe how it changed my life. I dream now!!! :thumbup:
Had one for maybe thirty years. I was the one who told the doctor I had sleep apneoa.
On one short trip I could swear I did not fall asleep while driving. Definitely not. But, I WOKE six times in twelve minutes, at least once completely on the wrong side of the road.
The original machines were truly Continuous Positive Airway Pressure; you had to learn to breath out against the set pressure of the machine. Which could be a bit frightening at first. The later machines dropped the pressure as you breathed out, much better but had to be re-learned.
I used to stop breathing up to thirty times an hour, for sometimes over a minute. Scary.
Definitely a life-saver, and I was tired to my very bones.

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I don't snore ..I just dream that I'm a motorcycle.
Medstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Medstiller »

Bamaberry wrote:I've had a CPAP for several years and yes it certainly makes a difference.
If you're overweight and you snore, very good chance you have sleep apnea. Doctors who are friends of mine assure me it IS life threatening.
However, I also have a real shortness of breath during the day. I've wondered if the CPAP doing "the work" for me at night might make it worse.
I gotta remember to ask my Dr. on my next visit.

However, I had a different reason for searching CPAP. My first CPAP machine was deemed "obsolete". No longer serviced by Resmed but perfectly serviceable.
So they couldn't simply service & adjust my machine, but insurance would pay for a brand new machine and several masks.
(That's a conversation for another place and time)

I understand boiling water needs oxygenation. Seems my old Resmed would be ideal for pumping filtered air and is designed to easily run all night long.

I also would think it's an ideal way to bring down mash temp prior to pitching yeast.
One other thought for those not blessed to be as "unhealthy" as me :sick:
I rarely see used CPAPS on the market. It is my understanding that you cannot resell a machine WITH the mask, as together that is considered a piece of medical eqpt for which a prescription is required. I believe you can buy the machine by itself. So if you have a fat friend that looks like they snore, you might want to ask if he has a spare he'd like to get rid off.

CHEERS!
:yawn: :yawn:
If you weld, A good use for your old machine is to blow fresh air into your welding mask. It also keeps your mask from fogging up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Used to hang with a guy a lot, we called him "Stoney". No, not for drugs, but because whenever we would hang out, he'd be done and ready to pass out by 10:30 or 11 pm. though he would press himself and stay up with us when he could.

Dude snored like a freight train and had what we all know now as sleep apnea.

Went to the doctor and got the tests. He was probably late 20's at this point and had been snoring like this since he was 14 or so. Doc monitored his sleep for a night and said his heart rate was averaging 130 beats per minute. Said he woke up at least 6-8 times an hour. Stoney said he had to get up in the night to piss 3 or 4 times. Doc said yeh, you're basically running a marathon every night as far as your heart is concerned, and your metabolism is working overtime as a result.

So, he got the CPAP machine and it saved his life. We called it the jet pilots mask. No more snoring - and I mean this guy literally kept campgrounds awake at night. No more getting up to piss multiple times a night. No more being tired early on. Finally getting good sleep every night. The thing was a life changer.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Definitely a life changer.

Geoff
The Baker
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I don't even take a nap without putting on!

BG
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Just got a new one! :thumbup:
Munks1
Novice

Post by Munks1 »

Life changing for me.
Diagnosed 3 years ago at 41 years of age. Not overweight, fit healthy, but snored like a freight train. Napped every spare moment as I was so tired all the time. My Mrs couldn't sleep as she kept waiting for me to take a breath again.
Biggest problem is swallowing air. I blow up like a balloon.
Medstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Medstiller »

If you are swallowing air tell your sleep doctor, you may need to be changed to Bipap. Swallowing air is not normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

A Breathrite nasal strip at bedtime keeps the nostrils open. Really good.

Geoff
The Baker