whos running what right now?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

whos running what right now?

Post by jb-texshine »

Me-rum,and a pig in the pit for tomorrow. What bout yall.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: whos running what right now?

Post by Danespirit »

I'm making a experiment right now.
Put some potatoes in my ferment...hoping to get a good vodka out of it in the potstill.
I'll distill the lowwines two times.
The potatoes, where boiled to get the starch into something fermentable.
I think it will be ready to strip tomorrow...has been fermenting about a week now..bubbles coming veeeeeery slow :D .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Just finished up and going fishing! Wonder what could be done with those instant potato. Flakes.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Got an experiment fermenting. The yeast are on a marathon. Been fermenting for 2+ weeks now.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
SirPuFFaLoT
Novice

Post by SirPuFFaLoT »

Nothing special for me. I'm on my 3rd gen of UJSM. I just experienced my first Stall in one of my fermenters due to low pH. I adjusted it up to 4.5 and tossed in a couple more packets of yeast so hopefully all will be ready to run next weekend.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

10th gen UJ and some brown sugar rum.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I ain't running nothin. But I am building a thump for myselfs birthday.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

A sugarhead of flaked red wheat and dextrose ... conversion using liquid enzymes.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

First stripping run of first generation UJ
Hellnoh2o
Bootlegger

Post by Hellnoh2o »

I have 10 gallons of sugar wash experiment going with two kinds of yeasts added at different times and other interesting ingredients.......and.....a potato surgar wash with some of that B12 energy shot stuff you get at the dollar store who knows what the hells going to happen lol........I will say that the 10 gallons of sugar wash has been going for a week and it is still so active I can't keep the air lock on it. I hope it turns out well
My wife calls me a stillhead......my thoughts are refined
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Cherry plum, no sugar or water.
Hellnoh2o
Bootlegger

Post by Hellnoh2o »

I'm going to pick some choke cherries now, any reccomendations how these should be used?
Hellnoh2o
Bootlegger

Post by Hellnoh2o »

I mean fermented of course but anyone with a simple but good cherry recipe?
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I bought a bunch of brown sugar at Costco to brew up some rum. I threw in a little rolled oats to see what it would add to the flavor. We'll see.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Hellnoh2o wrote:I mean fermented of course but anyone with a simple but good cherry recipe?
You already got the recipe. Mix them up with a new paint mixer and then pitch your yeast. :thumbup:
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Hellnoh2o wrote:I mean fermented of course but anyone with a simple but good cherry recipe?
Take a look at this thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=56670 :)
Hellnoh2o
Bootlegger

Post by Hellnoh2o »

Thanks guys
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

50 litres of DWWG #8, just finished the spirit run of #7 and it went so well that I said what the hey. Just checked the fermenter and the air lock was just about to blow. Musta been the yeast bomb. 18 quarts now aging on oak. Drank the rest. 150 lbs of 2 row malt barley to grind and some amylase to buy to do some AG. Cant wait.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
Bobdoe
Bootlegger

Post by Bobdoe »

Kentucky Bourbon:
- All grain, no added enzymes nor sugar: 60:20:20 (cracked yellow corn:6 row barley:honey malt)
- Oaked with oak spirals (medium toast)
- This is my fourth batch of this recipe, and, to my taste buds, its amazing! And I owe it all to the fine folks here at HD!
Bd
The Bluegrass Biochemist - Converting malted corn mash using salivary amylase from the spit of Kentucky virgins
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Bobdoe wrote:Kentucky Bourbon:
- All grain, no added enzymes nor sugar: 60:20:20 (cracked yellow corn:6 row barley:honey malt)
- This is my fourth batch of this recipe, and, to my taste buds, its amazing! And I owe it all to the fine folks here at HD!
Bd

bob,

this is this the same percentages I use for my bourbons. ive used honey malt with fantastic results. I do `60 corn, 20 malted wheat and 20% honey malt.

if you can , get you hands on some real oak sticks. I used to use the spirials in the past as well but the real oak sticks will produce a finer drop for you
Bobdoe
Bootlegger

Post by Bobdoe »

rager wrote:
Bobdoe wrote:Kentucky Bourbon:
Bd

bob,

this is this the same percentages I use for my bourbons. ive used honey malt with fantastic results. I do `60 corn, 20 malted wheat and 20% honey malt.

if you can , get you hands on some real oak sticks. I used to use the spirials in the past as well but the real oak sticks will produce a finer drop for you
Thanks, Rager, I'll get my hands on some oak sticks. The honey malt is really a great addition.
Bd
The Bluegrass Biochemist - Converting malted corn mash using salivary amylase from the spit of Kentucky virgins
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

ive got 40l of single simpsons lager malt started off @1.080 fermenting with Mangrove Jacks M44 (apparently the pacman strain from rouge).

to be followed up with 40l of odens cornflake sugar head.
and a rum made with Lyles Golden Syrup and brown sugar.

feel its going to be a busy month.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Spirit run on my smoked all malt wheated Bourbon.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote:Spirit run on my smoked all malt wheated Bourbon.
Ya make me feel like a lightweight . Fixin to start another gen 1 UJSSM because my first attempt at malting corn is becoming a miserable failure (GMO feed store stuff ,I think) . Just as well to find this out now before I get my steam cooker up and running .
> Damnit ! Had to correct this post because the post was missing all the 'r's' on account of I have used it so much telling people to 'ead , ead , ead' . There it went again :(
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

Just started running a TPW. Soon as that's run I'll empty the boiler and start on my sweet feed. Don't wanna run out of sweet feed. Just took several gallons of SF off oak after a year and its disappearing much faster than I thought it would.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I'm running 8 gallons of all-bran low wines (40%ABV) today. I just opened the VM valve about 15 minutes ago. I pulled 100 ml of foreshots and two 225 ml jars of heads out of the LM outlet already. Proof is up to 188 at the present and climbing. My current reflux ratio is around 8 or 9. I'll bring it down after a little more heads compression. Then sail on through the hearts.

Cheers all.
ss

edit- added proof.
Attachments
All-Bran running
All-Bran running
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

While the brown sugar/oat rum mix is clearing, I mixed up some "sweet feed". Only I couldn't find any sweet feed so I put 2.5 gallon cans of cracked corn, 1.5 gallons of rolled oats, a bag of Frosted Mini Wheats, 3.5 pounds of brown sugar and 25 pounds of white in each 20 gallon can and mixed it up with a couple handfulls of crushed oyster shells (and baker yeast). We'll see what this tastes like. :think:
Using Google Search

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hound Dog wrote:While the brown sugar/oat rum mix is clearing, I mixed up some "sweet feed". Only I couldn't find any sweet feed so I put 2.5 gallon cans of cracked corn, 1.5 gallons of rolled oats, a bag of Frosted Mini Wheats, 3.5 pounds of brown sugar and 25 pounds of white in each 20 gallon can and mixed it up with a couple handfulls of crushed oyster shells (and baker yeast). We'll see what this tastes like. :think:
That's about 5# less white sugar than what I use proportionately . Could turn out nasty . You probably ought to send it to me to sample when it's done :sarcasm:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Truckinbutch wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:While the brown sugar/oat rum mix is clearing, I mixed up some "sweet feed". Only I couldn't find any sweet feed so I put 2.5 gallon cans of cracked corn, 1.5 gallons of rolled oats, a bag of Frosted Mini Wheats, 3.5 pounds of brown sugar and 25 pounds of white in each 20 gallon can and mixed it up with a couple handfulls of crushed oyster shells (and baker yeast). We'll see what this tastes like. :think:
That's about 5# less white sugar than what I use proportionately . Could turn out nasty . You probably ought to send it to me to sample when it's done :sarcasm:
Hehehe.... :wink: Well, I don't fill the trashcan quite all the way up. I float a hydrometer in there and my fill mark puts me at about 10%. Probably on par, huh? 8)
Using Google Search

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hound Dog wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:
Hehehe.... :wink: Well, I don't fill the trashcan quite all the way up. I float a hydrometer in there and my fill mark puts me at about 10%. Probably on par, huh? 8)
Yep :)