whos running what right now?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: whos running what right now?

Post by DSM Loki »

spirit run dave wrote:
DSM Loki wrote:Happy to hear it Dave. I've been sipping on ujssm from my first spirit run too. It's amazing how it's mellowed even being white. I've had a gallon and a half on oak too for a month now so I pulled a little under a pint of that and proofed it down. I've gotta say, it's not too shabby and I'm excited to see where it goes.
That's great Loki,your a step ahead of me .just put me a gallon on medium toasted oak and half gallon on hickory. Doing a little experimenting like they say I'm the only one who has to like it.
Worst case, you can run it again. I bet it'll be tasty though
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

rgreen2002 wrote:35 gallons of all corn (with enzymes) finishing up in the fermenter. Maybe a run in a week or two! Man...I'm running out of UJ.... I hope the all corn is just as good
All corn is far smoother. Better is a matter of taste. I hope you align with me that all corn is a step above Uj.

I have 30 gals of dry cob 66% corn, 22%oats, 22% barley. An all grain mash. All rolled grains.

Mash og came in at 1.050. 1/2 gal of booner feints to be added once I separate grains from the ferment.

I'm expecting a .995 for fg, and will have a potential of 7.22. If it ends at 1.0, that will mak slightly less fine whiskey.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Should be 17% barley and Oats. I struggle with that kind of math. Haha
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hank Reardon wrote:
rgreen2002 wrote:35 gallons of all corn (with enzymes) finishing up in the fermenter. Maybe a run in a week or two! Man...I'm running out of UJ.... I hope the all corn is just as good
All corn is far smoother. Better is a matter of taste. I hope you align with me that all corn is a step above Uj...
Hank I will certainly keep you posted on that one... :mrgreen:

My FG on this ferment came in at 1.01 but my SG was a little lower. I boiled the hell out of this corn with my steam mash setup and overshot my volume diluting out my OG(still trying to get the hang of that thing). I'm looking at about 26 gallons of about 6% ABV... But I will take that any day of the week. I think boiling the crap out of the corn made easier work for the enzymes and I got full conversion on my iodine test...

I really love the 4th gen UJ I made last year.... both white and oaked have really flavored nicely with a little age. If this is better I will be floored(like passed out on the floor...floored!)
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Put down another 40 gallons of ujssm wash Sunday, it's bubbling along decently. The lower ambient temps are slowing it a bit. I'll have to build something to insulate my barrel, I'd like to get another full stripping run in before it gets too cold. Not sure what I'm going to do during the winter, guessing I'll have to shut down until spring.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

rgreen2002 wrote:
Hank Reardon wrote:
All corn is far smoother. Better is a matter of taste. I hope you align with me that all corn is a step above Uj...
Hank I will certainly keep you posted on that one... :mrgreen:

My FG on this ferment came in at 1.01 but my SG was a little lower. I boiled the hell out of this corn with my steam mash setup and overshot my volume diluting out my OG(still trying to get the hang of that thing). I'm looking at about 26 gallons of about 6% ABV... But I will take that any day of the week. I think boiling the crap out of the corn made easier work for the enzymes and I got full conversion on my iodine test...

I really love the 4th gen UJ I made last year.... both white and oaked have really flavored nicely with a little age. If this is better I will be floored(like passed out on the floor...floored!)
Wear a hard hat when you take your first sip. Safety first. :)
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Filling jars stripping a gen 1uj. Finally got the kinks worked out to be able to use my thumper and have insulated my boiler, arm, and thumper with reflectix.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

DSM Loki wrote:Filling jars stripping a gen 1uj. Finally got the kinks worked out to be able to use my thumper and have insulated my boiler, arm, and thumper with reflectix.
That reflectix is awesome, especially to keep from burning your self. I have Panickry to thank for mine. It's awesome.

Oh, doing the spirit run on my 50 gallon Honey Bear. Into second jar of heads :wave:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I wasn't sure on the reflectix on my boiler considering I'm on propane but it's not too bad
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Well, I ran my rice wine, and then I ran my whiskey.

And then I combined the trub from both, steam stripped all 6 gallons of the glop, and did spirit run on the trub wines.

And then I added 2 quarts of maple sap to the boiler during the trub spirit run.
Whatever it turns out to be, it is 2 free bottles of trub shine from what I would have otherwise thrown out. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Whatever it turns out to be, it is 2 free bottles of trub shine from what I would have otherwise thrown out. :thumbup:
Sake Sweet Feed?

If Japanese bourbon has its place, why not rice and maple rumsky?
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Oh, and speaking of rice, I am now prepared to say that rice may be the most underappreciated grain on HD.
It is easy to convert with liquid enzymes for a 100% Rice AG, it easily ferments very dry, and the yield is great, as much as when I do rum.
The strip/spirit run product is very smooth, mild perceived sweetness, delicate flavor, and ready to drink right off the still.
I have no idea why I don't see more people raving about rice!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: I have no idea why I don't see more people raving about rice!
I discovered rice for myself a few years back- and was appropriately impressed with its virtues. I'm about completly out of flaked corn so my next batch will likely use some rice. I am also still looking for some of that Aspergillus oryzae fungus mold that the Japanese use in Sake.

Popular American crap lagers like Bud, Miller,Coors & others are cheapskates with barley. They employ a goodly amount of adjunct cereal grains like rice and corn. Bud uses a lot of rice but I hear that Miller at least uses high fructose corn syrup in their beer. Most commercial whiskeys need only 51% of a particular grain like barley, corn or rye to legally qualify as a bourbon, scotch or so on. I suspect that rice finds it way into most vodkas, gins and many Canadian and Irish whiskeys. Not that that is a bad thing. Just saying that people might be drinking more rice than they suspect.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Oh, and speaking of rice, I am now prepared to say that rice may be the most underappreciated grain on HD.
It is easy to convert with liquid enzymes for a 100% Rice AG, it easily ferments very dry, and the yield is great, as much as when I do rum.
The strip/spirit run product is very smooth, mild perceived sweetness, delicate flavor, and ready to drink right off the still.
I have no idea why I don't see more people raving about rice!
I concur, very easy to work with when you have enzymes, I didn't even grind mine.
The fact that you don't have to squeeze yours make it even handier.

good drop indeed but prefer whiskey myself hence why I've not been back to revisit rice, but deffo worth a whirl for anyone who has enzymes.
Don't be a dick
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2016-10-06 18.10.04.jpg
25 gal of sf, sg 1.080
This has become the favorite within the family :D
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Just boiled water and mixed up my first batch of Booners. While that is sitting, I am doing a spirit run of some molasses rum I stripped a couple weeks ago. Running a single plate with reflux. See how it turns out.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Running some 2nd generation sweet feed and smoking turkey legs! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Thinking about doing something with 12# brown sugar and some white sugar. Either cornflakes or tomato paste for nutes... not real sure what ill do.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

did up a 90l mash with 100% malted barley, hoping to strip this weekend
Don't be a dick
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Finishing up 18 gallons of birdwatchers.... my supply is dwindling :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

got a nice rye ferment going...remembered the GL this time!

280g/L, 10%malt
OG 1.064

fair chuffed, it tastes great already.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
DoubleJ
Bootlegger

Post by DoubleJ »

Just got back from a boys' weekend up in the Quebec mountains near Pembroke, Ontario - buddy has a camp up there. I brought my still up and made two runs. The first was a strip run of the single malt/scotch I just made. The second was a spirit run. Sat down with the boys after dinner on Saturday night and had them smell and taste the 7 jars of spirit I made. And then had them tell me what they thought the cuts should be. I went with the majority decision and cut accordingly. I blended what they picked, diluted it down to ~58% and oaked it. One of my buddies took a litre of it home with him for future consumption.

I also brought up the honeyshine I made a while back. I aged one gallon of it on four sticks of oak for 5 weeks, and another 1/3 gallon on one stick of oak (5 weeks as well). The latter received some really good accolades. Once poured into a snifter, it was h-e-a-v-e-n-l-y. It had a very nice caramel/honey aroma to it and was very smooth on the palate. It really did exceed my expectations. I'm very pleased with it.
Seek to understand...
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Proofing hazelnut -geist.
Distilling peanut -geist. :D
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Dw- tell us about the peanut geist,please!
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Thank you for your interest.
Basically roasted vacuum sealed peeled peanuts. Crushed and column distilled over 12% alcohol, vapor infusion.
I will write more details in the "the art of making a geist" -thread in a few days.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Anode Effect
Novice

Post by Anode Effect »

Spirit run on my AG sweet feed.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Panela. Lots & lots of panela. I met with the super pimp a few weeks ago to pick up several bags of that sweet goodness. I plan to run enough to fill a 10 gallon barrel to sit for years finally creating that fantastic rum goodness that only he can provide. You go sugar daddy! Get down with your bad self!
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

cuban style rum.spirit run complete
2 gallons of140 proof ready to go on oak with some dunder mixed to it
hope to replicate santiago de cuba brown rum.
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2016-11-02 11.15.27.jpg
1st and 2nd run of 4th Gen SF
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Finally getting around to the rum I started in June. running in the flute but the recirc pump for the dephleg gave out on me so doing a slow postillish run. I'm getting a little passive reflux that's letting the plates bubble a little and everything is coming off at 60% so I'm kind of hoping I can pull this off in a single run because from here on out I'm switching to panela instead of molasses and don't want to mix them.