Local farmer put me to work

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Local farmer put me to work

Post by shadylane »

I asked to buy a couple of bushels of grain and the farmer said I could have all I wanted, but I had to work for him pulling a grain cart with his Case IH 9370 tractor. I'm happily retired and wasn't looking for a job, if I was there's farmers all around me that have newer equipment. But he's a close friend and needs help getting his crop in, so during the harvest season, I'll be a $10 a hour farm hand for a couple of weeks.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Local farmer put me to work

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

How many bushels/hr?? :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

These kinds of little jobs often have bigger payoffs then the small amount of money you make. I've often done small jobs like that and come out way ahead in other ways. Enjoy it, your just taking one extra step in your ag journey,

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

shadylane wrote:...he's a close friend and needs help getting his crop in, so during the harvest season, I'll be a $10 a hour farm hand for a couple of weeks.
Ha-ha. Same here.

My twin brother farms here and I get roped into driving the grain cart tractor (it does have an air conditioned cab tho) during wheat harvest. The pay is lousy, in fact except for a sandwich for lunch there is no pay, and that's for a week of 14 to 16 hour days. But it is my brother, so I do it.

As for the chance at a bushel of grain, if I'd bring a shovel and a bucket, I probably could clean some up off the ground because invariably some gets spilled. But at $4.50 per 60# bushel its almost more trouble than worth.

And corn prices are even lower. They're around $3 a bushel. Cheaper to go to the elevator and buy a pickup load.

Awww....but think of the fresh air out there....working in the field.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:How many bushels/hr?? :thumbup:
Just a guestimation but the farmer will be getting some where between 1000 and 1500 bushels per hour, I'll be getting .01
Really didn't want to get put to work, but I couldn't turn him down. We've traded favors in the past and I owe him one.
One thing I don't like is he grew a bunch of milo (sorghum grain) this year. The dust from that makes people itch.
He said the Chinese buy it for making booze out of. I've tried using milo and the booze tastes like diesel.
I'll be getting corn, rice and wheat from him, not the milo.
Posting with still-stirring
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

shadylane, I like that you're willing. He may need the help more than you think. It's almost impossible to get people to do this kind of stuff.

When I was a kid farmers helped each other out. In fact they scheduled plantings and harvests together to make sure they would be available for each other. If one guy had a new combine the other would buy a truck to move the grain.

In recent years I've asked to borrow a tractor or offered to grade someone's lane and they thought I was nuts. I've mowed the grass on an empty lot next to me for ten years and the guy has never once acknowledged it!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

shadylane wrote: He said the Chinese buy it for making booze out of. I've tried using milo and the booze tastes like diesel.
:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks for the warning, Ill keep Milo out of my 27 grain in the werks (gotta outdo Jedneck)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Jimbo wrote:
shadylane wrote: He said the Chinese buy it for making booze out of. I've tried using milo and the booze tastes like diesel.
:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks for the warning, Ill keep Milo out of my 27 grain in the werks (gotta outdo Jedneck)
WOW! Would that be like homogenized likker?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Jimbo wrote:thanks for the warning, Ill keep Milo out of my 27 grain in the werks (gotta outdo Jedneck)
What the freekeh you talking about?! :shock: :crazy:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

:mrgreen: it was a joke, Jed and I were shittin about doing a 13 or 15 grain to outdo each other
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Jimbo wrote::mrgreen: it was a joke, Jed and I were shittin about doing a 13 or 15 grain to outdo each other
There is over 1000 varieties of barley. Does each one count a a grain. :ewink: unless they end up in the feints jug I ain't going over 5 in a ferment.
Shady it is a way of life around here getting roped into work. But if I need help the favour is returned.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

could brew up a batch with basmalts and <1% of each barly species/ malt type. :twisted:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

These numbers can't be right but according to some quick research wheat seeds weigh around 50mg each
There's approximately 9090 grains of wheat in a pound, so 60 gallons of mash at 2 pounds per gallon. :crazy:
If my math is correct I'll be making 10,908,000 grain wheat whiskey. :thumbup:
No damn wonder my fingers get tired from picking the roots off each of the malted wheat seeds.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Y'all need to go post in that Stillers Anonymous thread.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

shady, have you tried it with the sprouts attached?
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DSP-AR-20005
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

No, I hope you don't want me to put the sprouts back on the malt. :esad:
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

mind reader....
DSP-AR-20005
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Brilliant minds think alike.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

jedneck wrote:Shady it is a way of life around here getting roped into work. But if I need help the favour is returned.
I hear Ya :lol:
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I live a horse/farm community and a helping hand is is a way of life. The inner rewards for helping always outweigh the reciprocal help . It's a way of life I love dearly.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And working together from time to time eases the loneliness of the farming life.

Geoff
The Baker
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

shadylane wrote:I asked to buy a couple of bushels of grain and the farmer said I could have all I wanted, but I had to work for him pulling a grain cart with his Case IH 9370 tractor. I'm happily retired and wasn't looking for a job, if I was there's farmers all around me that have newer equipment. But he's a close friend and needs help getting his crop in, so during the harvest season, I'll be a $10 a hour farm hand for a couple of weeks.
I understand your hesitation, but it is honourable work, IMO.
I am retired too and not half as strong as I was, but when I feel the tools in my hand my body remembers a lot of movements. I am far too stupid to be a farmer, but it seems my body still would enjoy the work.
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Post by Cu29er »

shadylane wrote:
MichiganCornhusker wrote: ...he grew a bunch of milo (sorghum grain) this year. The dust from that makes people itch.
He said the Chinese buy it for making booze out of. I've tried using milo and the booze tastes like diesel...

The trick with sorghum is all the sugar is in the stalks. I remember seeing higher per-acre output than corn for the ethanol fuel companies. Cut a stalk when you're out there, peel off the leaves and chew on the pith for a little taste.

I bought some seed and planted it in the garden this year to mess around with, mine grew a little stunted because I started it in a pot then transplanted, but there is a little sugar in the stalks.

This is making syrup process, but yeast doesn't need all that syrup boiling ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CSZ6-GH_sI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45czIug7MS8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow