get together

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

erbachem
Novice

get together

Post by erbachem »

Hi All,

Two things to get out of the way before I go on to my topic. First, apologies if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't certain where a topic like this fits. Second, I have been in this hobby for just over a year now and would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who runs and contributes to these forums. It has become my main source of information during my experimentation.

Okay, on we go.

It occurs to me that the main criteria of success for home distillation is rated around taste and smell, two senses that are notoriously difficult to download from the internet. The only way to do this successfully is up close and personal. So the question is, is anyone out there meeting regularly with other like minded people to discuss, compare, exaggerate, etc? Preferably in the AKL, North Shore region.

In addition, are there any regular events that include home distilling?
ME
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Oh, to live in a land where it's legal...
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I have a friend that also distills,and we meet on a regular basis to taste our stuff,and share what we have learned.I got him started and he is running my old still.It really helps having someone to share with.
Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Post by Bsnapshot »

I wish there were others I could learn from and share ideas with.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I wish there was someone close by that could tell me what this fukin sediment is that's gettin into my brew......! :evil: !
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Punkin,Are you still gettin that stuff?Have you tried filtering it out?
I filtered some vodka that had some junk in it,and it worked fine.I used 10 coffee filters in a funnel.It cleaned it right up,and didnt add any flavors at 40%.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

wineo wrote:Punkin,Are you still gettin that stuff?Have you tried filtering it out?
I filtered some vodka that had some junk in it,and it worked fine.I used 10 coffee filters in a funnel.It cleaned it right up,and didnt add any flavors at 40%.
Yeah mate, seems real bad in the Peach Brandy and in the rum,
Grain brews don't seem to be affected anywhere near as bad.

I'm gunna dilute and bottle some peach in the white, just to eliminate the wood from the possibilities, cause i'm fairly sure it's still getting gunk, just white gunk instead of brown or green.

This is becoming aq serious frustration for me, and really affecting my enthusiasm for the sport.
If i can't solve it soon i dunno what i'll do.

I thought i had it licked by redistilling the rum...figured it was only on single distills and that it must somehow be a puking problem with wash carrying over to the distillate. But the peach is only oaking for two days, then sits at 65% with a small chunk of toasted oak till i'm ready to cut a bottle.
Within a day of diluting and bottling, it'll have a brown/green haze on the bottom of the bottle. If you pick the bottle up it'll come up in tendrils and clouds, if you shake the bottle it'll disperse, but you can see little spots and cloudiness.

I'm eliminating things bit by bit, and am concerned that it is so prevelent with fruit brews yet hardly noticeable with my UJSM or DWWG.

When i filter i use a small labglass cylinder funnel. I tear a large coffee filter into some palms size bits and screw a couple up and shove em into the funnel. Probably have some brew escaping between spaces in the pieces of paper and not passing through it?
But the precipitate is not there when i bottle. The spirit is clear and bright with a beautiful golden colour. Just next day it starts growing in the bottom :evil: :evil: :x