Neboirhood watch

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubber duck
retired

Neboirhood watch

Post by rubber duck »

So I went to a neboirhood watch meeting, omg these folks are idiots. I'm not going to go into it but I think they all ride my little ponies and think a few spot lights will keep them safe.

So here I am and I come up with the idea well we have 20 or so people in this meeting,, let's pick one house and leave bait out, my house is fine... when you see a dirt bag on my porch call me and when they enter I'll handle it. Aperently that's entapment, so it's I guess it's ok if you wake up and kill them but if your already up and a neboirhood watch calls you that's not ok.

Needless to say they don't want me in the neboirhood watch club.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Neboirhood watch

Post by skow69 »

Entrapment enshmapment. Leave the keys in your car and listen for it to start up.

Leave a window down.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

skow69 wrote:Entrapment enshmapment. Leave the keys in your car and listen for it to start up.

Leave a window down.
that's what the cops do and they don't call that entrapment.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

cranky wrote: that's what the cops do and they don't call that entrapment.
My thoughts exactly.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

It's really amazing that these 'sheep' make it to adulthood. I see them all the time walking around with their faces in their phones completely oblivious to what's around them. Pathetic
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Dude just went to prison for murder in the US. He had been getting robbed on a schedule. Pretty much every weekend. So he did the honorable thing and waited up for them with a lead delivery system. Why was this not a legal self defense?

Because he told his barber what had been going on, and that the next burglars would be a dead men. That singular statement ended up being the cornerstone for the prosecution that won the case

This OP could be used as evidence if you ever had to defend yourself in your home from an intruder, regardless of the circumstances... Essentially a US citizen has given up his/her right to self defense in their home once they have stated that they are prepared to administer lethal force to an intruder.

Home of the free and the brave? You decide.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

One would hope that a jury could tell the difference between premeditation and a light hearted discussion on the internet. But I wouldn't want to bet my freedom on it.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Now ya got me thinking, bear.

A couple weeks ago a friend of mine was walking down an alley with his girlfriend. He saw an 8 foot cannabis plant on the other side of a 6 foot fence. He reached up and plucked a bud. There was a bang and a bullet hit him in the hip. The guy shot him through the fence. He was tired of people picking off his buds. Ambulance, cops, friend went to hospital, guy went to jail.

So how much was that bud worth? What's it worth to feel secure in your home? Is it worth a life? Is it worth your freedom? The guy could have hit my buddy's girlfriend. She could have been carrying a baby.

Personally, I would have tied the plant down so it didn't stick up past the fence.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

That is just wild.

No different IMO than an apple tree by the side of the road. It's not cool to pick someone's roadside fruit without asking (perhaps even a misdemeanor), but it sure as hell is murder for shooting someone doing so. Attempted or otherwise. He tried to kill your friend for a bud. My goodness... If someone wanted it more than I did, they can have it.

Lethal force should only be considered when you are in fear for your life. Not a complicated principle IMO.

My late grandfather thought it was okay to shoot a child who was stealing gas out of his truck, which apparently the great state of Texas agreed with him. That bastard is probably looking up at me right now...
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

If he wasn't trying to steal something from another person he would not have been shot. Should the guy have shot? No. But in cases like these the blame lays squarely on the thief. If someone breaks into my house I can only assume that they are there to rape and murder my wife and daughter, at which point I will use any and all tools in my arsenal and around me to end that threat to my family or any other.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I had my house broken into last week at 4 am, it's the third atempt in 3 years but it's the first time they have gained entry. I was up, armed, and at the door in less then 5 seconds. I couldn't get a clean shot though.

I pretty much made every mistake in the book, it's funny how all the training and preperation goes out the door when shit hits the fan. What I should have done is stay in the bed room and waited quietly, because if I had lost control of my wepon I'd have been screwed. At 4 am with 5 seconds notice you sure are not on your a game.

It makes you think about what you can do to gain a few seconds so you can get it together.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rubber duck wrote:I had my house broken into last week at 4 am, it's the third atempt in 3 years but it's the first time they have gained entry. I was up, armed, and at the door in less then 5 seconds. I couldn't get a clean shot though.

I pretty much made every mistake in the book, it's funny how all the training and preperation goes out the door when shit hits the fan. What I should have done is stay in the bed room and waited quietly, because if I had lost control of my wepon I'd have been screwed. At 4 am with 5 seconds notice you sure are not on your a game.

It makes you think about what you can do to gain a few seconds so you can get it together.
Even the best battle plans go to hell when the first shot is fired . You fight like you train . Set your alarm clock for random times and respond like it was a home invasion . Acquire weapon . Asses situation . Respond with proper tactics . Repeat drill often enough that it becomes routine in the fog of sleep and confusion .
>I've survived every fire fight I've been engaged in to date . Also : don't concern yourself with incontinence . You can clean up after if you prevail . Otherwise , the undertaker will wipe your ass as part of his job .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Truckinbutch wrote: the undertaker will wipe your ass as part of his job .
That's extra around these parts.

Damn work ethics :roll:
Blah, blah, blah,........
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

that 8' plant reminds me of a bad joke...Ya can't bait 'em!!!

i'd be so screwed at 4am. My eyes take minutes to start working these days...not seconds. with the usual 4am impairment i'd be useless as teats on a bull.

i've had to resort to DEW systems, distant early warning, a couple of dual photo beams that cross the drive...electric fencing that type of thing. Pretty much need all the time i can get these days. friggin deer are tall enough to break both beams tho... :evil:

like ya say TB, i could always hope the SOB slips on my shit and bonks his head!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I've got three 100 pound dobermans that are absolutely intimidating. One of which has taken the act of scaring uninvited guests and turned it into some twisted art form. You have to walk by her to get to my front door. She waits and hides silently where you cant see her, until you are just inches from her reach. Then she jumps up snarling and snapping her teeth right in your face. She did it to me once beacuse I was wearing a baseball cap, and I almost needed new shorts. I've seen solicitors turn into soup and immediately pour themselves back into the vehicle they arrived in. Needless to say, we put her down in the kennel when expecting company...

Crime prevention is the only reason I own dogs. I haven't lost a single item to theft since acquiring the animals. Even my tweaker brother quit coming over. :thumbup:
Last edited by bearriver on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Yup. Big dogs are good. Not allowed to carry guns here so dogs are all that there is for home protection other then alarms. I've got two, a mastiff x Huntaway and a Labrador. The lab is jet black and damn invisible at night. The mastiff x can stand in his hind legs with his paws on my shoulders and stare me in the eyes. Im 6'3" tall. Never been broken into.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:Yup. Big dogs are good. Not allowed to carry guns here so dogs are all that there is for home protection other then alarms. I've got two, a mastiff x Huntaway and a Labrador. The lab is jet black and damn invisible at night. The mastiff x can stand in his hind legs with his paws on my shoulders and stare me in the eyes. Im 6'3" tall. Never been broken into.
This is part of the reason why I have always told folks that I never met a man whose life I valued above that of a good dog .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Unfortunately dogs are a lawsuit waiting to happen. My dogs are family, not protection. Cameras for when I'm not here but when I am, lead and good places for scavenger animals to feed is important. You have to figure even a fully justified shooting is going to cost a minimum of $50k because the state will try and show it was not justified.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hound Dog wrote:Unfortunately dogs are a lawsuit waiting to happen. My dogs are family, not protection. Cameras for when I'm not here but when I am, lead and good places for scavenger animals to feed is important. You have to figure even a fully justified shooting is going to cost a minimum of $50k because the state will try and show it was not justified.
No argument there . If it gets to the LAW you are going to lose all your lunch money for sure . And , mebbie ; your house , car , and all else you consider dear and valuable .
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I can aford it, that's why they keep breaking or trying to break my door in. I may just move back to the hood, it's cheeper and safer.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Hound Dog wrote:Unfortunately dogs are a lawsuit waiting to happen.
That is why I have home owners insurance. Dog bites are the #1 claim on home insurance.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

My dog only bites meth users, I'm not kidding she's got 3. I think she can smell it and has learned from me that I hate them. Unfortunately she's a 9 pound wiener dog, not to much bite.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Hound Dog wrote:Unfortunately dogs are a lawsuit waiting to happen. My dogs are family, not protection. Cameras for when I'm not here but when I am, lead and good places for scavenger animals to feed is important. You have to figure even a fully justified shooting is going to cost a minimum of $50k because the state will try and show it was not justified.
Luckily that's not the case here. We have a sign warning that our dogs WILL bite. That's enough to protect us from the law. If someone comes into our property without permission and is attacked by our dogs. Nothing happens to me or my dogs. They don't prosecute for an animal doing what is in its instincts to do. Protect its territory. Different story if my dog was to chase them down the road.

InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

You may want to check up on that law mate.

If the offender brings a case against you they can ask for the dog to be destroyed.

Then the court will grant it if there was an injury, warned or not.

Stupid law, I know, but rather your dog than your people.

It's a pretty good deterrent though :-)
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

I've checked. With both the police and animal control. I was being harassed for a while and wanted to know my house was safe when we were out of town. As long as I do not egg the dogs on. And I do what I can to stop them attacking.
It's why you see big scrap/car yards have dogs and electric fences. As long as there is plenty of warnings of any dangers that are on the property. If someone decides to break the law. That's their own fault.

Also. One of my friends has had this happen to him. His dog almost killed a guy that broke into his house. The guy got done for B/E. Mate and dog got nothing.

InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

Cool, I have read a few cases where the opposite happened.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Your in New Zealand right?

So folks are aware that doesn't pass in the states. I had a dog chained up in a fully fenced backyard with beware of dog signs as a kid in the 90's. Little girl jumped the fence for a ball and got bit. We had to put that dog to sleep, get dangerous dog licenses for the other two, and take full responsibility for the bite...

Here, a "Beware of dog" sign can and will be used against a dog owner in a court of law in the event of a dog bite. It acknowledges that the owner is aware of the dog being dangerous, which makes said owner fully responsible for the animal in almost any context... This is why I made sure our home owners will cover dog bites, and don't keep signs mentioning their glowing dispositions.

Choosing police to source legal advice is like choosing a dingo for a baby sitter.
Attachments
DingoAndBaby.jpg
DingoAndBaby.jpg (90.87 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
Last edited by bearriver on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

Man, what a fucked up world we live in!

Lucky thing we distill the calming ambrosia.........
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

bearriver wrote:Your in New Zealand right?

So folks are aware that doesn't pass in the states. I had a dog chained up in a fully fenced backyard with beware of dog signs as a kid in the 90's. Little girl jumped the fence for a ball and got bit. We had to put that dog to sleep, get dangerous dog licenses for the other two, and take full responsibility for the bite...

Here, a "Beware of dog" sign can and will be used against a dog owner in a court of law in the event of a dog bite. It acknowledges that the owner is aware of the dog being dangerous, which makes said owner fully responsible for the animal in almost any context... This is why I made sure our home owners will cover dog bites, and don't keep signs mentioning their glowing dispositions.

Don't take legal advice from cops. Not only are they not qualified, it is like choosing a dingo for a baby sitter.
Yup, the both of us :)
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

well in oz as usual our laws are fairly crap with self defence. You are only allowed to you equal or lesser force and only if you are cornered or in fear of your life. So some meth head runs through ya house with a machete and you got a gun your in a world of shit, best ya ask him to sit and what the telly while ya nip out and get a machete of equal or less length and weight. There have been exceptions, There was this old guy years ago in his late 80s named Albert Geisler , young punks broke and robbed him slapped him around said they'd be back. Next time they broke in bashed him bad , near killed him and robbed him. The next time they came back he blew one of their arses to hell, He was charged with murder as he had a shot gun and these 6 or 8 guys only had iron bars and knives . Well the public had had a friggen gut full, my recall is they refused to find him innocent but did decide it was not in the public interest to sent him to jail. The law was changed regarding home invasions after that but you can still get in the shit protecting yourself
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin