proposed wiki changes

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

erbachem
Novice

proposed wiki changes

Post by erbachem »

Hi all,

If you have been avoiding the wiki due to speed issues the good news is that it now seems to be behaving itself. Tater, if you had anything to do with this, thanks a lot.

I'd like to suggest a cleanup of the recipes area. At the moment, all recipes are straight off of the recipes sub-category with some recipes having not very descriptive names. My proposal is to create sub-categories such as washes, liqueurs, wines, etc and then re-link the existing recipes to each sub category as appropriate.

I am happy to go through and sort this myself. This is just an FYI in case someone sees more value in the current setup and to hopefully avoid someone coming in after me and helpfully putting it all back the way it was.

Suggestions, comments welcome.
ME
erbachem
Novice

Post by erbachem »

Well, I have finished the cleanup of the recipes area. You can see for yourself at

http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Recipes

While you are there, add your favourite recipes to the appropriate area. One day we might be able to answer the newb questions with a couple of wiki links.
ME
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

actually I fixed the Wiki a few months ago so it's fast now. and thanks much for making the edits! the Wiki is cool.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Was this all of the recipes the wiki contained before? I thought there were quite a few more, but possibly my memory is not ideal (haha).

I know the recipes in the "original" were very scattered, and thus, the grouping now is far superior.

H.
erbachem
Novice

Post by erbachem »

Thanks for the good feedback.

I'm pretty sure we haven't lost any recipes because they should still have shown up in the main category if I'd missed any. That isn't to say that there aren't a few strays that weren't properly categorised in the first place.

If you look under wine recipes you will see a lot there. The vast majority of recipes were wine recipes for some reason. As I get time I'll go through and try adding a few more recipes to each sub category.
ME
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

wiki

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I really prefer the Wiki format as a place to learn. I really like the fact that anyone can edit any page. Maybe a person can only contribute grammatical corrections or correcting typos, or maybe you know one new tidbit about some page and can add it. Not a large change but over time it evolves nicely as we all tweak it.

Also it's easier to search and index. People seem to have a tough time figuring out how to use the forum search effectively. The Wiki doesn't suffer from that limitation. There may be 20 threads on a particular topic in the forums, there will only be one page for the info in the Wiki.

It's also the perfect place for how-to guides and so on.

Both forums and Wiki serve a purpose. The Wiki just hasn't caught on as much yet.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.