Pipe Smoking

Moderator: Site Moderator

thatguy1313
Distiller

Pipe Smoking

Post by thatguy1313 »

I know a lot of us share hobbies besides distilling (guitar, meat smoking and curing, homesteading, etc.) One hobby I've recently taken up is smoking tobacco in a pipe. I just started with a Missouri meerschaum corn cob pipe and a bulk aromatic tobacco from the local shop but I'm already hooked. I just ordered a pre-drilled block of briar to carve my own pipe and picked up an English and an oriental blend from the shop. I tell ya, sittin round a fire with a glass of uj and a lit pipe is as close to heaven as I've come with clothes on. Anyone else enjoy a good pipe with the fruits of their distilling labor?
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Pipe Smoking

Post by jb-texshine »

I love the smell...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I'm new in the pipe tobacco world too! And just like you one if the first things I researched was how to make my own pipe! Great minds......

I prefer the vanilla flavors the most right now but I'm guessing that will change over time to stronger options. I also have some whiskey Cavendish at home right now that's some mighty good puffin. Best infoive found is the Frank method of packing. Really helped me get a better burn.

Please post pics of your pipe build if you can. I would appreciate them if nobody else does!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i apologize in advance for this rabbit hole.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/49-P ... kers-Forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Funny, I used to smoke a pipe for a brief bit years ago, and recently thought about picking it up again.

I've never really been a cigarette smoker, but I smoked one night per week (band night) for over a decade. I recently started doing music stuff 2 nights per week, and it doubled. It's not really the nicotine, I actually dislike it, but for some reason I need it when I'm making music.

So I was thinking maybe a pipe would fulfill the need without filling the lungs... Thanks for reminding me.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

I smoked cigarettes back in my party days but quit. Now even one drag on a cig makes me sick but the pipe lets me have the taste without the sick to my stomach feel that cigarettes give me now. Plus $8 gets me enough tobacco for about two weeks. Was spending that much every two days with cigarettes. Local shop has a briar club in going to start attending. Free tobacco and good company. And I don't think they'll mind me bringing a bottle to share :D

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

The pipe was an economic move for me . When I quit trucking I was burning $350 a month in Marlboros . $15 a month for pipe tobacco covers that for now . Spend some time with me and enjoy listening to me cough from coal mine induced black lung and 55 years of smoking and you , if you are smart , will never fuck with it . Don't suggest me quitting . My road to hell is already paved .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Impressed no one has violated rule#6 yet.....
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

Well, cigarettes clearly cause lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema, no good saying they don't.

Pipes - are they less harmful? I was going to post a photo of lip or throat cancer, but they were simply too gross.

It is also patently true that smoking, cigarettes, cigars or pipes, completely dulls the senses of smell and taste. You cannot really appreciate aromas or tastes of food or beverage if you smoke.

Your choice though.

Just sayin...
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

BaxtersDad wrote:Well, cigarettes clearly cause lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema, no good saying they don't.

Pipes - are they less harmful? I was going to post a photo of lip or throat cancer, but they were simply too gross.

It is also patently true that smoking, cigarettes, cigars or pipes, completely dulls the senses of smell and taste. You cannot really appreciate aromas or tastes of food or beverage if you smoke.

Your choice though.

Just sayin...
Sure is man. Also, the sky is blue, grass is green, and sex is awesome. And sure as shit if your a smoker people love to tell you how bad it is for you.

Sorry to pick on you but come on man its almost 2016. We've heard the news by now.
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

BaxtersDad wrote:Well, cigarettes clearly cause lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema, no good saying they don't.

Your choice though.

Just sayin...
Did you also know that 100% of people that drink water will die one day.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Smoking is shit but spare us the friggen happy snaps. In Ozzy all smokes are packed in Amy green (don't ask me why :crazy: ) and they all have some photo of some advanced shocking disease, we get it every 15 min on TV also. These zealots even put them in the middle of kids cartoons and have for years. Now I am in the process of trying to quit myself after 33 years of smoking but what I don't need is some condescending tone complete with pictures to prove how silly we've all been :thumbdown:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Now, because I had high hopes for this thread I'd like to bring it back on topic. And that's enjoying a good pipe full.

Do any of you use filters on your pipes? I do, but I have read that it can change the flavor by quite a bit. I know I can try it easy enough I was just wondering what you guys do.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

All the guys I spoke to suggested yanking the filter out so that's what I did. I would think it would hold flavor from the last bowl and cause turbulence in the smoke (apparently this is a bad thing?) They all also suggested having someone open up the shank and bit for more airflow but I haven't tried that yet.
As far as the health concerns. We're all adults on a forum that discusses a poison that can destroy your liver (among other things). This is simply a thread to discuss the enjoyment of another drug and we all know the risks involved.
What drew me to pipe smoking is the same thing that drew me to distilling. The craftsmanship of pipes and tobacco blends is something we can all appreciate, especially considering the level of craftsmanship we all admire in others stills and mash blends. I love to enjoy things that I made with my two hands. Whether that's a glass of my partial mash "rumsky" or smoking a pipe I carved or chewing some deer jerky from this year's kill. I think that's something that everyone here can appreciate.

S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I smoked a pipe for a while after I got out of the Army back in the 1970's as a way to ween myself from cigarettes - didn't work. I enjoyed it and would like to try it again, but I live in a smoke free zone (my wife's house).
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

S-Cackalacky wrote: I live in a smoke free zone (my wife's house).
I can understand that s-cack! I'm relegated to enjoying my pipe outdoors and I get the scrunched up nose when I come in. Course I get that face after drinkin whiskey, or workin on the bike, or after I eat chili :sick: :lol:

wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Ive thought about taking up pipe smoking. I absolutely love the smell. Occasionally while relaxing I will smoke a pipe tobacco cigar like a vanilla black & mild.
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

I've been known to smoke on a regular basis.
Also to "restore" old pipes for my smoking pleasure.
20140508_192110.jpg
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

:thumbup: nice wooday! What do you guys like to smoke? I'm rather fond of this English i picked up. Notes of clove and leather and something that reminds me of camp fire smoke. The aromatic I have has strong vanilla and coffee flavors.

Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

Favorites are Escudo, sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, Irish flake, and just about any of John Patton's recipes.
I cut my teeth on Carter hall. It's the best tobacco to learn how to drive a pipe right.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Got my new kit in the mail today. Of course my bandsaw and beltsander are temporarily out of commission so it looks like I'll be doing this one old school with just hand tools (well, except for a cordless drill :moresarcasm: )
Attachments
IMG_20151127_204604342-240x427.jpg

thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Forgot to add pics of the finished product. Was a PITA to do without power tools (except a drill) but got it all done. It ain't perfect but I think it's a decent attempt for a first try.
Attachments
IMG_20160116_205434.jpg
IMG_20160116_205234.jpg

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

nice work!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

Nice!
Today I puffed through a bowl of MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian in a sweet little meerschaum pipe.
Smoky and delicious
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Hell yea that guy! Looks good!
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Loved smokin my corn cob pipe for many many years. Mostly cherry blend.....smell was hypnotic. But, eventually gave in to the whims of the NOOOOOOOO crowd and now have started stillin'. Am I happy I quit.......hell, I can't even say for sure. I am still alive, so maybe. I still love the smell of any smoke, whether it's tobacco, mesquite, apple, alder, hickory or whatever. Who am I to tell anyone they shouldn't smoke? I say it's your life....who the hell am I to judge you? Live it the best you know how.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

GrassHopper wrote:Who am I to tell anyone they shouldn't smoke? I say it's your life....who the hell am I to judge you? Live it the best you know how.
Right on brother.

I like a pipe and a good whiskey. Nice way to relax after a hard days work.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Used to. I vape now. I dare say that, done right, it's better....
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

While I can't stand cigs,I do love me a cigar or good pipe. Usually while fishing
(I still indoors so no smoking for me while running)

I've wanted to get a blank for a while to carve my own. I want to make the bowl into a mason jar... if I can ever get good at hand carving that is.

That guy. Where did you get your blank?

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Damn why didn't I think of the mason jar idea?! I got it from a guy on fleabay. Just search Briar Pipe Kit and a whole mess of em pop up. The local cigar shop has two meerschaum blanks that I would love to carve but I'm just not confident enough of my carving skills and I don't want to screw up that beautiful meerschaum. Thanks for the compliments guys. Just looking at the pictures and I'm like, "shoulda done this, wish I had done that" but its just me being a perfectionist I guess. Smoked a bowl of Irish Oak in it this morning and it smokes VERY well. I think the key was I used a tiny rat tail file to open up the airway through the shank and stem of the pipe. It lets more airflow through and keeps the bowl lit but, because the walls are super thick and act like a heat sink, it doesn't smoke too hot. I'm pretty happy with it overall.
edit: I'm the same way yak. Used to smoke cigs but now they just give me a headache and a stomachache that nothing but a glass of UJSSM will fix :)