Smokers

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Smokers

Post by Bushman »

Rager I bought a Masterbuilt as my brother-in-law has one and has served some pretty amazing meals.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

rager wrote:interesting that this thread popped up because ive been thinking of buyin a smoker now for a while .

go figure the one ive been looking at is now on sale on amazon for 50 bucks off. probably going to pull the trigger. Its a masterbuilt and ive read some good and bad reviews. RandymarshCT has one and he told me its a pretty solid unit

i live in a condo and dont have alot of room for much more than this. hopefully this will help me get my feet wet and start learning

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2007 ... ric+smoker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

anyone have a recomendations on a few things i should order at the same time
Damm it Rager.

I'm trying to avoid getting any thing for myself during the holidays. But that looks pretty damn nice of a deal. Have you been following this unit? Is it really just now 50 bucks cheager, or is that an amazon illusion?

She's gonna be pissed, lol.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
rager wrote:interesting that this thread popped up because ive been thinking of buyin a smoker now for a while .

go figure the one ive been looking at is now on sale on amazon for 50 bucks off. probably going to pull the trigger. Its a masterbuilt and ive read some good and bad reviews. RandymarshCT has one and he told me its a pretty solid unit

i live in a condo and dont have alot of room for much more than this. hopefully this will help me get my feet wet and start learning

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2007 ... ric+smoker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

anyone have a recomendations on a few things i should order at the same time
Damm it Rager.

I'm trying to avoid getting any thing for myself during the holidays. But that looks pretty damn nice of a deal. Have you been following this unit? Is it really just now 50 bucks cheager, or is that an amazon illusion?

She's gonna be pissed, lol.

I have for quite a few months. read a bunch of review and Randy has the same unit and says it works pretty damn good.

its probably another very slipper slope for sure. not sure where YOU would even find the time with all your other hobbies

free shipping if you buy 25 bucks worth of books.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Just a few minutes away from finishing up some kc style ribs from the pigs we butchered saturday. Mmm mmm
Last edited by acfixer69 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

well i placed the order through amazon. 188 bucks for the smoker, a cover and shipping.

this large gallon jug of change ive been saving up all summer is paying for an early xmas pretty.

very excited
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Revival of this post reminded me of something new (to me) called a coonasss microwave. Meat is placed in an above ground insulated box and heat radiates down from a charcoal fire above. The idea was probably Chinese historically. The simple design principle does not seem to employ any smoke from the fire - to help flavor the meat however. This problem could be addressed by incorporating a little air pump / draft tube feature home-built into a "smoking coonass microwave" version.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... GKH_FX2Swc
Omnia mea mecum porto
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Saw a guy cook a turkey kinda like that at the races once. Cooked it under a metal garbage can.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just started a cold smoke with an Amazen Pellet Tube in my smoker. I bought a cooked Turkey Breast from Costco and am giving this a try. Since the Turkey Breast is already cooked I didn't want to try and smoke at a low temp that might introduce a bacteria and also did not want to dry the Turkey out by smoking it with a temperature of 250 F. To use it you fill the tube with smoked pellets light it through the open end with a propane torch let it burn for ten minutes on one of the lower smoking racks and then blow out the flame and add what ever your smoking. Below is what the Amazen Pellet Tube looks like. Says it will continue smoking up to six hours.
image.jpeg
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:Just started a cold smoke with an Amazen Pellet Tube in my smoker. I bought a cooked Turkey Breast from Costco and am giving this a try. Since the Turkey Breast is already cooked I didn't want to try and smoke at a low temp that might introduce a bacteria and also did not want to dry the Turkey out by smoking it with a temperature of 250 F. To use it you fill the tube with smoked pellets light it through the open end with a propane torch let it burn for ten minutes on one of the lower smoking racks and then blow out the flame and add what ever your smoking. Below is what the Amazen Pellet Tube looks like. Says it will continue smoking up to six hours.
image.jpeg
Where did you get it?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I got it for Christmas but Amazon sells them for $17.97, eBay is actually more expensive, and so are some of the smoking forums. I have the 12" stainless tube. Lots of videos on it's use I would do a google search (Amazen Pellet Tube).
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

4 hours in the smoker and it did not dry out, my biggest fear! It tastes great.
image.jpeg
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Iv two polish neighbours that have a homebuilt smoker made from a pallet crate and a tunnel. The hams are delicious. I must take a picture. There does be some nice whiskey floating about too. :D
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

nice looking smoke bushman

i ended up getting the masterbuilt 30inch electric smoker. i have to say i really like it. smoked alot of chickens, a few steaks, pork shoulders, some fatties a duck. i have to say that the chicken is probably one of my favorites and everyone seems to like it alot.

the one draw back is the fact that you have to add chips every 45 minutes or so . i do plan on picking up the amazin pellet smoker at some point. they have the tube and "snake" . the snake will smoke for 11-12 hours apparently.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just steamed these oysters, added to a brine, then cold smoked them. The following was my recipe.
OYSTER SMOKE
Steam Oysters for 10 minutes to cook oysters

PrepareBrine
Ingredients
2 quarts cold water, divided
1 cup (10 ounces or 280 g) coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

Instructions
Heat one quart of water to a simmer over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the remaining water. Cool the brine to below 40 degrees F.

Pour the cooled brine over the oysters and soak, refrigerated, for 30 minutes. After brining, rinse the oysters under cold water and drain in a colander.

Smoking
Cold smoke oysters for 30 minutes
image.jpeg
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

Anybody make jerky type things? If so I have questions about storage.. I have been putting them in bags with silica desiccant packets that I save up but they still get kinda soggy the next day with a bit of condensation forming in the bag. So now I nix the bag and just leave it out in the air. Neither seems like good options though. Its sort of a non-issue now because I eat right through what I make so leaving it just sit out is no biggie. But I would like to make a whole lot more at a time to make it more worth the trouble. To do that I need to figure out storing it.

I know its a moisture problem but not sure how to deal with it. I don't use a smoker but my oven.. usually dry it at 150 for 4-5 hours after a couple days marinating. I have experimented with different thickness of meat cuts and time spent drying it out but nothing works. When its dried to perfection there is too much moisture to put in a bag. Overdry it and its like meat flavored cardboard.

Is smoking the secret here or what? I thought the super high salt and vinegar content of my marinade is as good as smoke for a preservative.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I do it one of two ways either vacuum sealing or dry canning. Below is a link to the different processes.
http://www.makethatjerky.com/how-to-sto ... jerky.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

spiff wrote:Anybody make jerky type things? If so I have questions about storage.. I have been putting them in bags with silica desiccant packets that I save up but they still get kinda soggy the next day with a bit of condensation forming in the bag. So now I nix the bag and just leave it out in the air. Neither seems like good options though. Its sort of a non-issue now because I eat right through what I make so leaving it just sit out is no biggie. But I would like to make a whole lot more at a time to make it more worth the trouble. To do that I need to figure out storing it.

I know its a moisture problem but not sure how to deal with it. I don't use a smoker but my oven.. usually dry it at 150 for 4-5 hours after a couple days marinating. I have experimented with different thickness of meat cuts and time spent drying it out but nothing works. When its dried to perfection there is too much moisture to put in a bag. Overdry it and its like meat flavored cardboard.

Is smoking the secret here or what? I thought the super high salt and vinegar content of my marinade is as good as smoke for a preservative.
look up cure #1 for jerky

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/131/making-jerky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow enjoy :crazy: :wtf: :moresarcasm: :wink:

read the rest of the forums as well. i learned alot from them.

enjoy
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

Thanks for the links.. checking them out now
willee
Novice

Post by willee »

Purchased a Rec Tec Pellet Grill / Smoker last summer and couldn't be happier.
Could not cook good ribs on a charcoal grill but this thing makes it fool proof.
Set the temp controller to 220 deg and place the ribs in the grill ... 5 hours later ... perfection.
Heavy smoke bark, very tender and juicy.

I bought the small one for $499 (will do 2 full pork rib slabs) but this summer will be getting the larger version.
My favorite pellets so far are Misquite ... available from any Academy store.
The smoke just rolls when i fire it up and it maintains temp to a degree or so.

Wonder if I could smoke/roast grains in it?
mashins
Novice

Post by mashins »

I can second that Pellet tube for cold smoking, its Awsome! Got me a Weber Smokey Mountain 57 the large one. Amazingribs.com is a very very good site. Also Weberbullit site. I love just my Weber.

Thankin yaall
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

willee wrote: Wonder if I could smoke/roast grains in it?
With the A-maze-N was thinking the same with a cold smoke.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Bushman wrote:
willee wrote: Wonder if I could smoke/roast grains in it?
With the A-maze-N was thinking the same with a cold smoke.
pretty sure you can, look up the " mailbox" mod for the MES and cold smoking. if you dont already know about it
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I guess it's confession time :oops: I also thought this thread was directed at people who smoke rather than cooking equipment to smoke with :roll:

That said, I have now discovered my error and been reading this thread :D

Because I am a cheap bastard my old method of smoking was a coffee can with holes drilled around the bottom and a piece of wire mesh to hold the wood up, nested in between burners on my gas grill. I would then use aluminum tape and tape up my grill so the smoke could only get out in one place. This method actually worked pretty well until a few months ago when I got a 4 burner grill. The coffee can no longer fits so it was going to require custom making something in order to keep using the grill as a smoker. For years my wife has been talking about buying me a smoker and we have debated which one to get. Cold smoking hasn't really been considered much although I would like to do some home made sausage, but that's another story.

So recently we talked about it again because I have all that cherry wood that was given to me and I agreed that it was finally time to get a proper smoker. I almost got an electric one but decided on a Char Broil gas fired one instead.
SMOKER #1 - C.JPG
As soon as we ordered it I went to Cash and Carry and bought the smallest brisket they had, which turned out to be 14 pounds :? which is a lot more than my wife and I needed but was cheaper than buying 2 pounds at the BBQ place. Plus I wanted to give some to the guy that brought me all that Cherry wood :wink:

It took a bit of learning to figure out how to get the smoker to do what I want but I soon had it figured out and a whole lot of brisket to eat.
BRISKET 1 - C.jpg
BRISKET 2 - C.jpg
I like a lot of smoke so smoked it about 8hr then foiled and went another 2-4, not really sure how long because at that point I went by temperature. Some people talked to me about smoking with cherry and were concerned it would be bitter but I don't think that is the case with this wood. I actually really like the smoke this cherry adds. I also brought the guy who brought me the wood a healthy chunk of brisket to have with his family for dinner, but it turned out he was out of town that week so I wound up sharing it with the people I work with. Everybody seemed to love it, but who doesn't love free brisket? :lol:

Last week I did ribs and gave him a rack to take home but will also give him brisket next time I make it. This week is going to be chicken. My safeway had a bunch of free range organic chickens marked 1/2 off and I almost bought them all to take to work and share but decided I would only do 2 this week because this is my first time smoking chickens.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

So I've just finished building my smoker/malt dehydrator.
I'm going to have to make something tasty to break it in. Any simple suggestions. Like a still I need to learn how to run this rig :)

Yak
Attachments
rsz_20170320_164432.jpg
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice idea, hard to see the burner at the bottom, also can you pull a drawer out and take a picture of the bottom so we can see the screens? I made a similar one in the 70's to put on an outdoor brick wood burning BBQ to smoke my fish.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Burner is reused from my old smoker. I'll take a pic when I install the fans later today. Malt still needs another day or so before it's ready to start drying. Controller won't be in until later today or tomorrow.

Just picked up 3 more fans and a wireless moisture meter to track the drying progress.

Screen is just aluminum mesh ( black. Like window screen. ) will be switched to ss soon as I can find some. Doubt I'll do any meat directly on it until it's changed but for malt it's not an issue.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

:thumbup: Thanks looking forward to the update! If you decide to try a smoke I would recommend that A-maze-N that I posted above.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Just noticed this thread. I have a 30" masterbuilt smoker https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2007 ... B003XJGEGY

It works well except is is a pain to keep adding chips and it can't cold smoke. Have any of you tried their cold smoker accessory? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DF6WWE. I would think that it could be adapted for smoking malts as well.

Damn it Yak, I think that you just cost me more time on another build :)

edited for wrong link.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Read the earlier posts on A-maze-N. I have the same smoker and really enjoy cold smoking with the tube.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Bushman wrote:Read the earlier posts on A-maze-N. I have the same smoker and really enjoy cold smoking with the tube.
I looked at the A-maze-N, the thing that I like about the Masterbilt cold smoker is that it had an auto feed and is setup for chips. It seems that with a metal dryer hose, as shown in some of the reviews, you could get a true cold smoke as well as being easy to connect to other things. i.e my gas grill, malt smoker, or whatever. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with it. If not, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.