My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

Re: My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Post by HDNB »

jedneck wrote: Then a few hours later he asks me if I'll make xx,xxx a year.
that was his way of asking if you would stay for that much more.

at least now you got a baseline for what he will pay when/if you choose to help him out in the future.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Jed , I never seen a feller like you that can work and knows how to work be out if work for long . Follow your dream . I did . Feller never gets much ahead carrying a lunch pail to work .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Pulled the trigger yesterday and told my uncle to count me in. Fuck it I only live once. Now I'm looking for a few pieces of equipment to make operation more efficient. He also said that the first week is already booked full. And quite a few are scheduled for later in the season.

This year he did around
110 beef
115 hogs
250+ deer
Handfull of sheep and goats.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

It wasn't the wrong decision! You're going to flourish, Jed. Already spoke to the wife, and once you get settled in, we want to come up for a hog. She won't keep one for fear of it becoming a pet. But to have one for the freezer she is all about. Those marbled steaks you told me about sure made me hungry!

Jed, you're going to be happier, and the time you save traveling is worth it alone. Good for you! :clap:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Congratulations!

Wish you were closer could use a good butcher!

B
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Congratulations!

don't forget to take some time out to enjoy your successes and share them with your family... it's pretty easy to work too hard, too much and too long when you are doing it for yourself.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Congrat's! Quick question as I didn't see it, how long have been working with your uncle in the butcher shop? The reason I ask is, the customers might get a little antsy with somebody new taking over, if you work with him and have the same practices(or style) then I think you'd make an easier transition for his current customers.
I guess what I'm suggesting is transition into the leadership position before changing anything. Once established, slowly change things the way you want them over time.

Regardless, I think this will be awesome for you, again, congrat's!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I woke up this morning with a feeling that something bad was gonna be happening. Didn't think to much about it till at work and my brother walks up and says that they took my uncle to the hospital. This is the same uncle that is handing my the reigns to the family butchershop. From what I know he was skinning a beef and the skinnin knife slipped on the hide or sum such. He laid his wrist open real bad. He has litlle feeling in he's thumb and pinky and none in the other 3 fingers. I'm waiting on my other uncle to call me to see what we can do to take care of the work that is left for the rest of the season. I'm seeing a few long nites and weekends in the next few weeks. Prolly gonna work my current job then go work in the shop for a few hours in the evenings.
I also gave my boss notice that the 30th of September is my last day
big help
Dunder
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

jedneck wrote:I also gave my boss notice that the 30th of September is my last day
GULP !!!! Wow guess yer gonna do it !!! Thoughts, prayers and best wishes on your new path.

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Got your back .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Someone upstairs is giving you a big sign!! Take it and run! Hope your uncle will be ok. :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

Jed,
I have worked for myself in one fashion or another for more than 38 of my 55 years. Some years good some not so much.
My one piece of advice is this; do it yourself. Period. If you need employee's in this day and age, find another way. Take on less to avoid having an employee. And take Saturday afternoon and Sunday 's off. Trust me your customers will wait and understand.

Good luck Amigo

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Excellent! :clap:
If I can startup and run a small business based on a simple idea for ten years in the late great state of Cali-effing-fornia,
you sure can do it with an already-established one. I think you'll do fine, brother.

tp (and a pile of paperwork)
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Talked to my uncle today. He's feeling OK all thing considered. He cut an artery, 2 main nerves and a few tendons. Docs are saying it will be 6-9 months till he gets feeling back in his fingers. Some of the family are getting together Saturday to try and get the weeks beef cut and wrapped. That way the shop can work on the small stuff (sliceing and packing hams and bacon).

There are 8 beef and one hawg hanging in the cooler and 11 beef and a few hawgs scheduled to be killed yet. He's gonna try working out the details on the rest of the season tommarrow.

Uncle told me I didn't have to help but I told him that he would do the same if it was reversed. His reply was "I hate being on the receiving end".
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote:Talked to my uncle today. He's feeling OK all thing considered. He cut an artery, 2 main nerves and a few tendons. Docs are saying it will be 6-9 months till he gets feeling back in his fingers. Some of the family are getting together Saturday to try and get the weeks beef cut and wrapped. That way the shop can work on the small stuff (sliceing and packing hams and bacon).

There are 8 beef and one hawg hanging in the cooler and 11 beef and a few hawgs scheduled to be killed yet. He's gonna try working out the details on the rest of the season tommarrow.

Uncle told me I didn't have to help but I told him that he would do the same if it was reversed. His reply was "I hate being on the receiving end".
Yep . Those that are willing to give the most are the the ones least willing to accept the least . I hope for the best for him . That is a nasty injury .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Anybody have the link to the equipment/restraint supply auction site that was posted a while ago. I'm looking for some equipment. I believe it was a member from the pnw that posted it.
big help
Dunder
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

jedneck wrote:Anybody have the link to the equipment/restraint supply auction site that was posted a while ago. I'm looking for some equipment. I believe it was a member from the pnw that posted it.
Here you go!

http://www.pciauctions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Medistiller did back a while ago in the deals page.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... start=1140
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Thanks shine, I owe you.

Me and the next youngest daughter went to the shop today to cut beef. Long day for both, I found muscles in my back I forgot I had and she stuck at it all day. I started learning the art of cutting beef and daughter was running the vacuum packer. Not once did she complain. One very proud poppa here. By the time we get the cooler empty I might be able to cut a beef without uncles help.
big help
Dunder
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

fair play to her, love it when the kids want to help out and sees it out.
you and missus Jed have obviously taught her well
Don't be a dick
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Back at it today. Took another daughter (I got 4 for those that don't know) along to help. I remembered most of what I'm doing. Kido did great and had fun also. But damn it I wish people would quit wastin corn on beef(1100# hanging). We trimmed 100#+ of fat of the one we cut today. I could a made a lot of likker from the corn that was cut off. At the end of the day uncle as me to figure out my hours to pay me. I told him 0 its part of my training and he woulda done the same. The remaining animals that were scheduled to be killed were rescheduled to this fall. That gives me 2 more weeks of work when we start back up,

I'm hoping that I can last at my current job. Yesterday the one little peckerhead at work is lucky he is only 14. If he was 18 I woulda beat his ass. Little cocky ignorant prick. I'm not the only one at work that thinks the same about him.

17 Fridays and counting
big help
Dunder
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Bah, Tapatalk won't let me edit....

Make sure that you and your brother are crystal clear on the money thing.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

If I wasn't OK with 7-8 days a week(not a typo) I wouldn't have taking it on. Brother is out of the picture. He knows I won't be able to pay him enuf to make ends meet.
big help
Dunder
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

jedneck wrote:If I wasn't OK with 7-8 days a week(not a typo) I wouldn't have taking it on. Brother is out of the picture. He knows I won't be able to pay him enuf to make ends meet.
All good, I don't want to sound negative. It's different when you're working for yourself, for sure.

The guy across the street from me just retired from the pizza business he ran for 40+ years (it's been my favorite pizza for almost 40), working 7 12-hour days per week. He actually retired about 9 months ago, but every time I go in there to pick up a pie, he's still sitting at the counter.

I personally need more downtime and, god forbid, vacation, but that generally means working for The Man. Or, in my case, The Mouse.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I'm hoping I can work from October to end of may, and bank enuf so that I don't have to work for 4 months unless I want to.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I'm done for the summer at the shop. All the beef are cut and waiting to be picks up. There is about a dozon or so hams and same for bacons to slice and pack but they can get them done in the next 2 days. Now its just some equipment repairs and building maintenance of the summer then I'm at it full swing. Hopefully I can get enuf runs done over summer to hold me over till next summer. I ain't gonna gamble that I will have time to run this winter. And also gonna work on a ring bologna recipe to add to the product line.
big help
Dunder
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Yummy love a good bologna! Sounds like things are working out perfect!

B
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

bitter wrote:Yummy love a good bologna! Sounds like things are working out perfect!

B
Yup I'm taken to it like a pig in shit. For the most part I can cut a beef and give them the cuts they want without any help. There are still a few cuts that I haven't learned yet but I will. It is also nice that the kids enjoy helping out. That way I'll get to spend more time with them. I am looking at it as a golden opportunity and plan on running with it best as I can.
big help
Dunder
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

That sounds awesome Jed!

I wish you were closer.. need a good reasonable butcher.

B
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

The was a lady that move from here to Michigan or some such years ago. Every time she knew she was coming back to the area she would call a big order in a few weeks ahead. She refused to buy her meats from anybody else.
big help
Dunder