My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lko67
Novice

Re: My boss is gonna be pissed (career change)

Post by Lko67 »

I will say incorporate helps come tax time and as money becomes available invest in property also helps come tax time. Agree with pokey get everything in writing and beware of relatives, hate to say but they were the worst for me always tried to take advantage, remember everyone is a customer relative or not.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

I'm glad to hear all is going well for you Jed.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

My brother was a doctor. Worked as a G. P., then went overseas for a charity.
Came back and qualified as an ophthalmologist.
He was just getting established in a good sized country town when he got early onset Parkinson's disease.
Had to give up work in his early forties and lived on his disability insurance until government benefits cut in at sixty-five.

GET DISABILITY INSURANCE!

Geoff
The Baker
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Damn, nice to check in after a year and find you slicing and grinning.

Hope it’s all choice cuts for you these days.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Update time.
Season 2 is already under way. Opened shop a week ago, 3 weeks earlier than planned. Schedule is already full till February for beef, have room for a few hogs but not many. Had many sceduled before i even shutdown for summer
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Glad to see that this is working out well for you jed. Hope you're as happy doing it still as you had hoped you would be. Other than being tied up at the shop how had life been treating you?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Life is outstanding. There is something to be said when you wake up and know its gonna be a long day and you look foward to it.
There was times money got tight but kept pluggin away and got throw it. Had a few equipment breakdowns that hurt, but thats expected, bandsaw took a shit, freezer compressor did same and olso bought a few pieces of equip to improve efficiency
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

We talk often enough on the phone that you know how solid I am in your corner and how happy we are for you .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Jed, you're doing great! Often think about you. Hope you and the girls are happy and healthy. Looking forward to the next time we can get together. Had some pretty rocky roads on this end, but I think the path ahead looks smoother. Meantime, I've got probably the last existing bottle of Dirty Bastard sitting in my liquor cabinet right next to a Pappy Van Winkle. But I'm drinking Uncle Lum's (now 3 years in barrel) and trying to figure out how to get back into doing a little fermenting and stilling. Great to hear that you're doing well.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

BoomTown wrote:Meantime, I've got probably the last existing bottle of Dirty Bastard sitting in my liquor cabinet right next to a Pappy Van Winkle.
I've still got some Jed's BaconMaker sitting next to some Uncle Lums, cheers guys!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I still have the original pre-legal Uncle Lums. Two shooters with red wax seals. Sits right next to a sealed bottle of Maple Bourbon from Randy. All from the original Jedfest :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
BoomTown wrote:Meantime, I've got probably the last existing bottle of Dirty Bastard sitting in my liquor cabinet right next to a Pappy Van Winkle.
I've still got some Jed's BaconMaker sitting next to some Uncle Lums, cheers guys!
MCH, My guess is, you probably aren't drinking enough now days, :lol: :ewink: BTW, am back in Alexandria VA full time now days. Drop by if you feel like it.
Boom
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:I still have the original pre-legal Uncle Lums. Two shooters with red wax seals. Sits right next to a sealed bottle of Maple Bourbon from Randy. All from the original Jedfest :thumbup:
Who'd of thunk it? A shire to the original Jedfest made of booze. Can a tribute be any better than that?
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I'm glad things are going good for you Jed.
You are going to be a "Pillar of the Community " before you know it.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Jed, she still pissed? :lol:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

When aint a woman pissed. :mrgreen:

Still alive n kickin here. Be shutting down for the summer in few weeks.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

On that note my former employer just went belly up , bankrupt, lost his ass. Dont know exact details but enuf. My understanding is at 1st attempt at liquidation sale they had tp postpone it cause so many people come foward that they owed money to. I hear that after ssle they still in the red for 3.5 million. Business was owned by 2 brothers n I understand that the one signed contract for a job to be done knowing that they was belly up. Not gonna be surprised if they dont end up in the pokey.

Guess sometimes stuff happens for a reason. I am not regretting the choice i made.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Nuther season bout done. Was lookin to be a short season few months ago then the flood gates opened. Only gonna be a 3 week shut down for maintenance then back to grind. Ended up being best year yet numbers wise. Life is good

Worked with local dairy farmer on getting a cull cow to turn into burger for the elderly n needy in community and have 2 hogs to turn into sausage for same. Is good feeling being able to give back to community
big help
Dunder
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

jedneck wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:01 pm Nuther season bout done. Was lookin to be a short season few months ago then the flood gates opened. Only gonna be a 3 week shut down for maintenance then back to grind. Ended up being best year yet numbers wise. Life is good

Worked with local dairy farmer on getting a cull cow to turn into burger for the elderly n needy in community and have 2 hogs to turn into sausage for same. Is good feeling being able to give back to community
Your a good person Jed, reminds me when I helped Mash Rookie(totally his idea) to serve the homeless turkey during Thanksgiving. We had 10 turkeys and he cooked them in his glass blowing oven put them in his van and fed the homeless. That year was really hard as we had a lot of flooding around that time.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I remember the turkey cook. Wanted to help out but at time just couldn’t swing it.
big help
Dunder
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

jedneck wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:01 pm
I remember you writing about doing that. Now it makes a little more sense.
One question I have is about the supply chain of beef during the Chinese virus.
As mentioned elsewhere, I switched to a carnivore WOE - way of eating - last year.
During this whatever-the-hell-this-is, beef in the stores practically disappeared.
Didn't make a lot of sense with restaurants being shut down, except for the problems Smithfield & others had with the virus.
Some local carnivore groups have been able to find local sources for sides or quarters. Don't have that option where I am.
I guess my questions are - can you get beef & is there a carnivore demand where you are?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Even if you can find a steer to slaughter, the abattoirs are booked until next year. If you can butcher your own it's flush right now...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Biggest reason for for the shortages was shortage of workers in plants. Some plant are setup for either wholesale sized packaging or retail size, not eazy to convert from one to another. Where I’m just a lil redneck with a knife workin on one animal at a time.

I have 6+ farmers that i can get beef from but I usually put customers in contact with farmer. Round here beef goes for $1.50 to $3.00 per pound hangin on rail. Thats a big chunk if id get stuck with it
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Hambone wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:02 pm Even if you can find a steer to slaughter, the abattoirs are booked until next year. If you can butcher your own it's flush right now...
Im booked till med February.
big help
Dunder
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

The "industrial" plants have staffing issues. I think the smaller slaughterhouses have been overwhelmed by "panic buyers" of sorts. Certainly no shortage of cattle here, pains me to hear of CAFOs liquidating stock because they can't get them processed....
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

jedneck wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:11 pm
I have 6+ farmers that i can get beef from but I usually put customers in contact with farmer. Round here beef goes for $1.50 to $3.00 per pound hangin on rail. Thats a big chunk if id get stuck with it
Interesting that this news came out of Canada today.
If it weren't for this discussion, I doubt I would have noticed,

Alberta's Meat Inspection Regulations Amended

"New amendments to Alberta's Meat Inspection Regulation will cut red tape and provide greater access to locally produced meat while still maintaining food safety."

"Devin Dreeshen, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry says Alberta produces the world’s best beef, pork and poultry products, and Albertans want better access to these products."

"Consumers can now buy an animal direct from the farm and have the animal slaughtered on-site for their personal consumption."
justsomeguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by justsomeguy »

TDick wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:49 pm
jedneck wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:11 pm
Interesting that this news came out of Canada today.
If it weren't for this discussion, I doubt I would have noticed,

Alberta's Meat Inspection Regulations Amended

"New amendments to Alberta's Meat Inspection Regulation will cut red tape and provide greater access to locally produced meat while still maintaining food safety."

"Devin Dreeshen, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry says Alberta produces the world’s best beef, pork and poultry products, and Albertans want better access to these products."

"Consumers can now buy an animal direct from the farm and have the animal slaughtered on-site for their personal consumption."
I love it when the GOV tells you its ok to conduct a business transaction for your own livelihood.
45 ACP..... Turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'll go on record to say that in my 70 years I have never seen a cleaner or more efficient and honest small butcher shop than Jed's .
All products my friends and I have bought through Jed were as advertised and fairly priced .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

:oops: Just doin as was raised n learned.

Do have one guy that says if get cancellation it don’t matter if same day call him n he fill spot. Gettin to point that soon people gonna get date then find animal. Gettin critter to be butchered is eazy part. Most butchers round here are booked till mid spring.
big help
Dunder