am I the only one?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubber duck
retired

am I the only one?

Post by rubber duck »

Does anyone else find themselves starting to replie to a post and then say fuck it. Just screw it?,, I know the correct answer but I'm just going to look like an asshole, or I'm going to have a bunch of armchair guys with a million posts tell me that I'm wrong even though I've done it and they like to think they know but it's a fucking dream they had one night when they actually thought about doing something new that no one has done.

Do you ever get tired of trying to save the new guy that already got screwed buying 700 dollars worth of junk from burning his house down? Then you get told your an asshole?

Do you ever think wow I'm just going to go to bed, this is a lost cause? Then get up in the morning and try agian? I love this hobby but Jesus we must have a few folks that got a 4 year degree from some state college, and I agree this is a screwed up sight to find info fast. Really though? It's not a master thesis just fine the guys you like and go down the rabbit holes.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: am I the only one?

Post by WIski »

No...Your not the only one.

I'll have a drink with you...... Cheers! :silent:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Gasp!!! Perish the thought. You monster.

Yeah I have deleted a bunch of stuff half way through and said I'm out tap tap tap.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
InvertedSpin
Novice

Post by InvertedSpin »

I'm pretty new as a poster, but have lurked here for a very long time. The culture here is, well, fascinating to say the least. A very diverse mix of people, for sure...

For me, there's very good information if one takes the time to distill it from the bullshit. Regardless, it's damn fine free entertainment.

Cheers,
IS
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

I know what you mean Duck,

Oh wait. . . Aw fuck it . . . I'm going to bed and start over in the morning

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I try to give answers to the first few inquires...then if the guy just seems out of control, I'll quit!

Being anonymous, it's hard to tell if some one is serious or not, so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But if you decide not to answer, you're not necessarily an a-hole...I think not answering is better than berating the new poster. If he's serious and doesn't get an answer, he'll start researching. If he gets berated and mad, he's now a detriment to the board.

I hate to see a new poster intro and gets no welcome for days. "Hi, my name's Bob." chip, chirp, chirp..
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

rubber duck wrote:
Do you ever think wow I'm just going to go to bed, this is a lost cause? Then get up in the morning and try agian? I love this hobby but Jesus we must have a few folks that got a 4 year degree from some state college, and I agree this is a screwed up sight to find info fast. Really though? It's not a master thesis just fine the guys you like and go down the rabbit holes.
More then you will ever know duck. :esad:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Or, sayn "screw it" and not postn a reply to an ignorant post or welcome, only to go back and see the thread locked and a troll warning declared ..Then say to yourself, "I told ya so". :ebiggrin:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

rubber duck wrote:Does anyone else find themselves starting to replie to a post and then say fuck it. Just screw it?,, I know the correct answer but I'm just going to look like an asshole, or I'm going to have a bunch of armchair guys with a million posts tell me that I'm wrong even though I've done it and they like to think they know but it's a fucking dream they had one night when they actually thought about doing something new that no one has done.

Do you ever get tired of trying to save the new guy that already got screwed buying 700 dollars worth of junk from burning his house down? Then you get told your an asshole?

Yes and cheers Rubber duck! From some of the ditches! I have done a few off the forums and it feels good to help out,but once it turns south the help stops,not a genuis but have learned the pasts yrs and think I do ok and some have tole me the same, alot of it is approach and willing close mouth and open ears is key! Its not rocket science but is science!
Last edited by bentstick on Fri May 06, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is what you make it
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Happens, sometimes multiple times per day... Good information all typed out and then decide someone isn't going to appreciate it, or start a shit-storm for no reason, and just scrap it... What would this site be like if we all took a help those who accept and let the rest flounder attitude...??? It wouldn't be what it is today, that's for sure... Once some of the initial resisters realize we do what we do for their own good, and for those to follow, they usually come to appreciate the help, regardless of how it was initially interpreted...

Hmmm...??? :think: Do I hit Submit or just say screw it...??? :twisted:
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Not all is black and white,there is gray in there!
It is what you make it
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

:silent: :silent: :silent: nuff said

AC
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I can only imagine how tired some of you guys are of seeing the same old questions pop up. It wasn't that long ago that I had the same questions.

Sometimes all that's needed are the proper keywords to send someone off on a 'independent research' journey.

Then again some people are too bull headed to take the hint and you just gotta say screw it...
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

:esurprised: what a topic ... but have done that many times here on HD...

Held my tongue many times... :wtf:

happy stillin,

FS
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Press Submit!!
Lively discussion is the lifeblood and magic of this forum. Always nice to see posts from the old timers, lends continuity to the site and a lot of wisdom can be packed into few words.
Good advice stand on its own, doesn't need defending. I can only imagine how dull it gets to deal with noobs, over, and over, and over, and over and.....
But noobs need love too, and guidance, whether its the bait, or the switch. Either way, I enjoy the spirit of this forum, and I know I'm not the only one!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Sometimes I hit enter than a few minutes later go back and delete it because I just don't like the way it sounds then spend a half hour writing everything all over again. I always try to write in ways that don't sound too harsh but sometimes fail. I feel it is necessary to try to guide people to the right way of doing this hobby although sometimes it can get pretty frustrating.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I think we all feel as you do at times , Duck . I spent hours and hours reading before I signed on here . At times I feel offended that a noob didn't use the same due dilligence . Then I look back over some of my early posts and remember that I was a dick from time to time .
>I shy from obvious trolls but will respond to what seems to be a genuine noob . Just don't post as often . Not up to a single person to carry the banner . As new guys progress it is up to them to pay forward with what they have learned .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I don't have that problem any more. And I know I'm an Asshole.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Agree rubber duck, countless times I've written something and stopped, mainly due to no confidence and thinking I couldn't back up claims. Smart people that write complex long posts do.my head in and question my knowledge, but nine times out of ten, it's gibberish to float egos. I agree with dad also. I would.say 99.98% of members would have asked something that was already answered. Sometimes I shake my head at some.threads and think, lazy bastards, just look it up, then go back through my first questions and see me the same :lol: . My granddad always said, if you want to know something, ask!, only way to.learn and I've stuck.with that all my life, it annoys the shit out of some people but I've learnt alot by doing it.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Perish the thought that it might be the feeling of "entitlement"... :evil:

Did I say that out loud...??? :silent:
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

I hope I didn't inspire this topic RD. It's hard to convey tone and inflection of voice in a post... even with smileys. I haven't posted much (if any) here in a couple of years because of the very reasons you have given plus a few more. I would hate to think I made anyone else feel that way and if I did I apologize.

I have always tried to follow the golden rule until someone doesn't extend me the same courtesy...then all bets are off. In those instances I still try remain civil or just bow out altogether. Or I'll try to lighten the mood with some humor but sometimes it gets lost in translation and I come off as a smartass.

Anyway, hell yes I say fuck it and don't hit submit way more than I do.
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

A person with a pleasant disposition , knowledge can become a burden.

I like kind people, they make me happy, especially the ones who have lots of lots of patience,
But the negative aspect of web forums is that you can not truly show how grateful you are when someone has helped you.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

yep, even in this thread i did it :)

basically if I feel after typing that I don't add to the discussion or my point is already made or me being a bit of a dick, i remove it and let others sort it
Don't be a dick
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've also typed out a response then not submitted it many times.
But hearing the same question asked many times doesn't annoy me anymore.
Some members will take the time to spoonfeed the newbies.
I've learned a lot from reading their words.
How else can we find out different experiences, opinions and information.
What really annoys me is when a newbie asks an honest question and the post is hijacked with smart ass responses.
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

Imagine having a thread titled something like Novice2Novice in which newbies can ask and discuss newbie issues among themselves. No old-timers allowed, unless some issue arises that they can't resolve and they ask for help. This is called peer learning, or peer to peer learning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_learning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . “Education is not an affair of 'telling' and being told, but an active and constructive process.” from that article.

M
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I would be suprised to learn that some of the most helpful members here do not scrap at least half of their comments.

Considering the mods and admin as well, and not neccessarially just the regular membership.
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

Nevermind. I'll never get that 1/2hr of my life back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Have a drink Duck.

It's an interesting kind of behavior that occurs.

I have seen some of Duck's, Usge's and a few other more long standing, experienced members have their posts with very good, comprehensive answers get sort of ignored or maybe even dismissed. Or perhaps it just appears that way?
Maybe due to the frequency with which they post? I don't know?

Seen goose's posts sort of dismissed too. Prolly due to a couple different reasons. goose can sometimes be hard to relate to because it seems like he talks about things on a different or perhaps a larger scale if you see my meaning?

Just thinking out loud is all.

Have a drink Ducky.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

,,,,,,,RubberDuck?,,,,, Ducky?
Duck are you ignoring me ? :lol:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

My posts get much more entertaining after a few drinks so I'll get back to a little latter this morning Larry. Lol
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck