Storing feints and low wines

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Storing feints and low wines

Post by Down_Home52 »

I am a rookie and have not made my first run but I am preparing for it. I have made fruit wine for the last few years and have some fermenting and storage containers. It looks like I will need more for my new product. My question is this, I have access to some nice, food grade, re-sealable, HPDE 4 gallon jugs that canola oil came in originally. After washing them out thoroughly with dish detergent and hot water they still have a scent of the oil. Would it taint the low wines and feints? I have noticed my food grade primary wine fermenter maintains the scent of the last fruit I run through it.
I dream of a worm running like a water hose.....
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Storing feints and low wines

Post by Danespirit »

You shouldn't store your low wines in plastic..!
And yes...it will surely taint your product.
Fermenting in food grade containers is ok. Your low wines are what...30-40% ABV..?

Edit: Oily substances tend to stick to the plastic, the alcohol will get them out again.
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

That is the reason I asked!!!
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Please take a look at the section regarding safety and safe materials in here.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=33
Another helpful link is here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=89
We all want new distillers to enjoy their hobby, without compromising safety and do harm to themselves or others.
How about you use a keg to store your low wines in..?
A Cornelius keg, could be an option..
Or one of the small half kegs. It would be easy to drill a hole and add a stainless steel valve at the bottom.
Even a stainless milk can come into my mind, but with a substitute for the rubber gasket.
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

Thanks Danespirit. I have read until data overload. Sometimes you just ask. And I appreciate the answer.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I use glass carboys. Look on the private sell lists (craigs list or kijiji or whatever you have local) there are tons of beer and wine kits for sale. Around here carboys (some call them demijohns) are about $30 new and $10-15 used. I've got several to hold low wines/feigns/product to age(drop in toasted oak cubes) I've also got some 20l pop kegs which have the same 2" sanke fitting. Bought SS caps at the farmers dairy supply place and voila, more storage.

I always tell everyone Glass/SS/copper/hardwood (paddle) is all that can be used when making spirits.
Good luck :thumbup:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

After an incident involving a 1 gallon wine jug and 1 gallon of 96% I don't use glass containers over 1/2 gallon for spirits. And I now never fill the bottles all the way any more either.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

pfshine wrote:After an incident involving a 1 gallon wine jug and 1 gallon of 96% I don't use glass containers over 1/2 gallon for spirits. And I now never fill the bottles all the way any more either.
Was it just glass jars by themselves? I forgot to mention but I carry all my carboys in milk crates, perfect size and they can't clink together or be dropped. :thumbup: Never had an issue.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Was just the Carlos Rossi 1 gal jug all by its lonesome in the garage. It was filled to the tippy top with %96. Came home from work and saw a broken jug. It was summer so it was probably 100+ f in the garage.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

A gallon of 96%, DAMN!! That's almost 2 1/2 gallons of 40%!! :cry:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Them angels were sloppy drunk. It was one of the only times I have made neutral. And I tell you what, I'm not a very sensitive guy but when that happened, it hurt my feeling. I only got one left and it hurt that thing.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

5 gallon Korny kegs work good.
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

When storing in mason jars with the proper buffer between product and cap, should the caps be screwed on tight if they are filled to 80%? My finished stuff will always be in air conditioned cellar. Just as a side note I bought some used glass carboys locally. The guy had used them to store pennies. I washed them out with warm, soapy water and was rinsing them with water right out of the garden hose. It was cool weather and they were sitting on concrete. Both cracked and broke about 8 inches up from the bottom. The delta in temp between concrete, wash water and rinse should not have been enough to thermally shock the glass. Be careful about used ones. Just looked on Corny Keg website and they had a 2 pak of 5 gallon re-furbed kegs for $70. That looked like a good deal?? I am sure shipping is high but they look fool proof. Those were pin lock lids. They also had a fermenter keg that did not hold pressure for $23. Would that not be the one to get? Just use a cork in it?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

corny's area good choice but there are 7 buna rubber O-rings that need replaced (3 in each connection, and 1 for the lid) ptfe O-rings are cheap.

$70 should get you 2 or even 3 private party corny's you are going to rebuild them your self anyway (ptfe O-rings).

the beer brewers appear to favor pinlocks over ball locks (or the other way around) so one style is less desirable, read cheaper.
be water my friend
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

They have one that is $23 that does not have a sealed head on it. They are calling it a fermenter. I only need them for bulk storage.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Here's the pictures we talked about;
Attachments
20L keg beside 57L keg
20L keg beside 57L keg
Lid clamped down
Lid clamped down
Lid on gasket
Lid on gasket
Nitrile gasket
Nitrile gasket
underside showing the groove for the seal
underside showing the groove for the seal
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

Got it. Much appreciated. I am sure I can find those caps on line.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Get them at a Dairy Equipment & Supplies store like this one;

http://www.darose.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Look around in there and then find an equivalent in your own area...unless your in NS, Canada! LOL!
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Pin lock are the cheaper design. Mcmaster Carr should have the PTFE o-rings available, but you'd need to look up the right sizes.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

goinbroke2 wrote:Get them at a Dairy Equipment & Supplies store like this one;

http://www.darose.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Look around in there and then find an equivalent in your own area...unless your in NS, Canada! LOL!
Hmmm....I wonder. With the ptfe rings, one side trimmed to sit flush, wrapped in ptfe Tape to get a good seal, and that cap. ..could that seal well enough to use as a secondary for beer and not oxidize or infection?
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just my opinion
As long as the keg can't get knocked over and spilled.
When storing low-wines or feints an air-tight seal isn't needed or wanted.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

shadylane wrote:Just my opinion
As long as the keg can't get knocked over and spilled.
When storing low-wines or feints an air-tight seal isn't needed or wanted.
Agree.

I have a 5.14 sanke that I want to store low wines in, but also secondary beer as abother possibility.

I just need more kegs. Need to Paar out the glass carboy
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

The Corny Kegs have the sanke valve, CO2 valve and a dispenser valve. The kegs goinbroke shows are beer kegs and have that nice ferrule already there. You could use as a storage vessel or a boiler. Found the caps and clamps on ebay. Looked on the local Craigslist and there is a complete Brewhaus set up for sale with 5 SS kegs, 3 8 gallon stock pots, heater, controller, wort chiller, transfer pumps, 3 plastic fermenters, insulated tun, grain grinder, 8-9 bags of grain, CO2 bottle and a bunch of other small hardware for $1000. I don't need all that but looked like a good deal.

This place is about 30 miles from me. They have a some pretty cool stuff.

http://www.bubbasbarrels.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
goinbroke2 wrote:Get them at a Dairy Equipment & Supplies store like this one;

Hmmm....I wonder. With the ptfe rings, one side trimmed to sit flush, wrapped in ptfe Tape to get a good seal, and that cap. ..could that seal well enough to use as a secondary for beer and not oxidize or infection?
Please explain some more. I have a 1/6 bbl keg that I am leaning towards for feints storage.
"If you look down at me you'll see a fool; if you look up at me you'll see a god; if you look straight at me you'll see yourself"....C.manson
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

We'll, I went ahead and just used a silicon ring from the home brew shop for beer storage. I use the ptfe when I use it for spirits.

Yeah, so with beer, I just rack off in keg, and seal it. Great way to age before putting in my corneys for carbing.

When im preparing to fill a 5 gallon barrel, I put all my spirit runs in there until I'm ready. I use a 15 gallon keg for fients storage. But I have a 15 gallon boiler. If you have a 5 gallon boiler, then this would be good for fients, too.

I just took a regular ptfe tclamp gasket, and rub one side of it on rough sand paper till smooth. Works great for sealing spirits.