HD needs a Glossary

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: HD needs a Glossary

Post by Bushman »

Moonbreath you are listing a lot of parts to a still, are you thinking defining these separately or listing them under still parts with a link to say the following http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=47262 and then add the parts missing?
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Prolly defining them separately ...The current, trending modular movement needs to be defined parts wise imo as beginners don't have a clue as to what modular is ...So they look it up in the glossary ..Like tri-clamp etc etc ...Especially when given welcome advice to go 'modular'...Liebig is equipment to, but its listed, shotgun also, an on and on.
A PICTURED EQUIPMENT GLOSSARY FROM A to Z needs to be started also imo.
More inept folks will demand more glossary, willing to contribute ..Less inept will learn from larger modernized glossary.
Was just suggesting stuff..My 128 IQ is workn overtime today. :D
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

MoonBreath wrote:Prolly defining them separately ...The current, trending modular movement needs to be defined parts wise imo as beginners don't have a clue as to what modular is ...So they look it up in the glossary ..Like tri-clamp etc etc ...Especially when given welcome advice to go 'modular'...Liebig is equipment to, but its listed, shotgun also, an on and on.
A PICTURED EQUIPMENT GLOSSARY FROM A to Z needs to be started also imo.
More inept folks will demand more glossary, willing to contribute ..Less inept will learn from larger modernized glossary.
Was just suggesting stuff..My 128 IQ is workn overtime today. :D
Moonbreath is sooo right that newcomers here have a really difficult time learning the language (terms). Simply because terms not listed in the glossary are to be understood in the context of the discussion going on. So, if a guy says I had to add a 2" SS Ferrule to my boiler, you as a newb say to yourself, what the heck is a SS Ferrule? Boy, I wish that would have been in the glossary. A SS Ferrule to me was a "Straight shanked metal binding on a lettering brush" for my work. A concise glossary will be so helpful to those wanting to learn. It would have saved me so much time and frustration in the beginning. Even now, I do not understand all the terms. Nuff said.

This should not be just one mans dilemma to keep this up to date. Bushman, you have contributed sooo much to this site already. Enough thanks can not express our appreciation.
With that said, here are some terms I felt important enough to list as I was learning. I learned most of these, but there are still some I do not understand. One is Rad's "exothermic reaction". But someday I will find the time to expand my limitations and truly delve into the mind of Rad and hopefully reach nirvana.

Yes, there are some that seem like duplicates, but are only listed for a definition consideration. Many listed here don't have definitions listed. I could find them, but all may not agree.

ABV Meter A hydrometer calibrated to measure distilled alcohol.
AG All grain. Such as an All Grain wash or ferment. (no added sugar)
Aging Time spent for the spirits to mellow, usually on fire treated oak (see ‘Oaking’).
Airing Leaving your distillate in jars open for about 24 hours, to allow for lower boiling point alcohols (heads) to evaporate off. Some distillers, including commercial distillers use airing stones and pump air through the distillate to speed the process.
Back Set What is left in your still after distilling the fermented Wash. Doesn’t refer to what is left behind after a spirit run of low wines. The general term is “stillage”.
Beer Has two meanings The fermented liquid ready to be distilled. (does not include hops) A fermented drink intended to be consumed as is. Without being distilled. (may include hops)
BIAB
Birdwatchers A sugar wash recipe for creating neutral spirits. (i.e. Vodka)
Boka’, also = Bokakob (sometimes incorrectly referred to as ‘Bokabob’) A type of reflux column
BOP A "Big Ol' Pot", usually used in mashing production; for large boils.
BP Boiling Point
Cap The foamy Krausen that forms on the top of a fermenting liquid.
Cold crashed
Cuts Collection in small containers to identify the changes from Heads, Hearts and Tails before blending.
DAP Di-Ammonium Phosphate (Used as a nutrient in fermenting)
demijohn
dextrins
Dimroth condenser (basically a reflux condensor in the top of a column)
DRY Ferment that has completed and has no fermentable sugar left, or any ‘sweet’ taste.
esterification - the gradual reaction of acids from the spirit with alcohol
exothermic reaction
Ferment on the Grain As opposed to sparging. (removing liquid from converted grain starches prior to fermentation)
flake stand
gelatinize
GL GlucoAmylase
Grain bill Types and ratios of grains used in a whiskey recipe.
Heat exchange device Usually referring to the product condenser such as a Liebig, Graham or shotgun style. Also can refer to a internal reflux condenser. A device for cooling the alcohol vapor into collectible distillate.
HETP
Juniper comuniiensis, juniper chinensis Species of juniper used along with other botanicals for gin
Krausen
lautering
litner
Mash & Mashing The art of cooking grain and converting starches to fermentable sugars.
Neutral Clear flavorless alcohol from grains. (Some refer to vodka as a neutral, but as it CAN be flavorful, it is generally not a TRUE neutral)
Nuclear Whiskey
Nuking
panella
Pitch Adding yeast to fermentable liquid.
Proof 100 proof alcohol is equal to 50% or 50 ABV
Reflux still A still with forced reflux to increase ABV and or purity.
refractometer
Saccrification
slobberbox
strike temp
strike water
SW Sweet Feed Usually, COB=, (Corn, Barley, Oats, Molasses).
thumper
triclover clamp
turbinado sugar
unfermentable sugars.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks for the in put I have added a bunch from the lists you guys have given me. I will get to the still parts but this will take me some time to define. I am also thinking how I can link to a picture (say a ferrule then click on pic for a link to see what it looks like). Like I said along with doing my duties as a mod please be patient as this will take some time.

Also I would like to thank all the members for their kind words (means a lot).
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have now added some still parts and their definitions with links to some pictures. Please go to the glossary http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p7354086 and let me know what you think of the definitions.
Slobber box
Thumper
Ferrule
Tri-clamp
Bubble caps (added link to photo)
Modular Stills

Thanks work still in progress.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Bushman the definitions look great. Thanks for all your hard work.

The links to the pictures on my end do not work. Says I'm not authorized to view this forum. I'm on an Android phone if that helps.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I will look into it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

As I worked on the photo's I had them in a hidden file and moved them but still ended up in a hidden file. I think I now have it corrected but please check my work and thanks.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

It works! :clap:
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Viscimetry
--------
A “butt” generally holds twice as much "usquebaugh" as a "hoggie" and about eleven times as much as a “quarter cask”. (butt / sherry cask/ 132 gal / 500L, hogshead / American barrel / 66 gal / 250L, ¼ cask/ 12 gal / 45L)
---------------

I’m going to be “slopping back” after I cook this next batch.

“Slopping back” is an old moonshiner’s expression and it's kin to but different than "backset stillage". Unclejesse was a “newbie” himself in 2003 when he explained sourmash.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... +back#p600

* I’m sure it would be frowned upon here at HD but this old recipe suggest that one can slop back as many as eight times…
recipe2.gif
Omnia mea mecum porto
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Pitch temperature
Expansion
Pooling
Take-off
'Cracked' corn

Also, aeration and suspension .
I believe interjections like these will broaden and expand knowledge to newbies and novices alike, dealing with understanding of basic preferred methods, theories, and lingo.
Hopefully folks also read the glossary, see something, then research and learn ..Along with the normal readn then wondering then being sent to glossary.
Beins this is the best forum in the world, its only fittn to et least have a glossary chalked full of all current, relevant, distillation lingo, and terminology used here in discussions and the Parent site ....Thanks Bushman.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Know you tryin to cut out words
yall don't use.

Bead

So I'm tole
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Bead=that would be a whole string of goose eyes! :thumbup:

Copperhead-
Jb-tex
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

It would help if you added your definition, then I can use it or adjust. Moonbreath I added pooling, aeration, and pitch temperature if you want to check out the definitions I gave and give in put.

Goose Eye what is bead in distillation?

If I haven't added a term you have listed yet it's because I am slow :mrgreen: and it takes time!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Bushman wrote:
Lol. Look at that. Glossary has its place.

I believe he is referring to old time proofing of spirits. Shaking the jar and watching the 'bubbles' or 'beads', to determine ABV. The duration, size, and speed will tell the ABV of a spirit to an experienced distiller that can read them.
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks, I did read that term some time ago :D will add it to the glossary.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The other benefit in revisiting the Glossary is that I found a few terms not alphabetized in the proper order. Probably added over a dozen new terms thanks to all of your suggestions.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Good job...Nothin wrong with keepn it current, trimmed, and polished.
Thanks for your time and effort Bushman.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Bushman wrote:It would help if you added your definition, then I can use it or adjust. Moonbreath I added pooling, aeration, and pitch temperature if you want to check out the definitions I gave and give in put.

If I haven't added a term you have listed yet it's because I am slow :mrgreen: and it takes time!
goose eye is a bead in the shake test, or bead test, as is chicken eye or fish eye,

goose eye being a higher proof than chicken eye (low proof) fish eye (medium proof)

this may help explain goose eye's accent. :wink:
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Today thus far I added to the Glossary the following terms if folks want to check them out or come up with better wording.
Grain Bill
BIAB
Refractometer
Punch the Cap
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Clapping hands to you Bushman. Thanks for updating our Glossary. The Newbs should be indebted forever for having real info at their fingertips.

Here are a couple that took me a coons age to figure out that I think should be listed. Sure they are simple to us now, but when your young and dumb it would be nice to understand the lingo.

RC
PC
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Grasshopper just added both but I have also seen PC used to refer to power controller however I didn't add that as I think most see it as Product condenser.

We are now up to 144 terms and counting! Keep them coming guys, if you had to search the term out probably others did the same.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

The word adjuncts was used in the description of Diastatic power, but adjunct itself is not listed in the glossary.

Lintners (or degrees Lintner) are in fact units of distatic power - but are not listed in the glossary. Malts need a DP of 30-35°L just to convert themselves. Some malted wheats may match or surpass malted barleys in "degrees lintner".

Malted wheat 120 - 180 °L
American 2 Row Pale Malt: 110 - 140 °L
American 6 Row Pale Malt: 150 - 160 °L

<a couple diastatic power charts>
http://www.eckraus.com/blog/what-is-dia ... tion-chart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.brewunited.com/grain_database.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

-----------------
SPP is in the glossary for some reason. A picture link could assist that short definition.
http://files.homedistiller.ru/images/163/nasadka4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://files.homedistiller.ru/images/163/nasadka3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

* In that same thread (Re: Best packing for my column) member "MuleKicker" 5 years ago bragged about his "mile hi mesh".
https://milehidistilling.com/product/pu ... g-1-pound/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Omnia mea mecum porto
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Redefined DP and added photo link to SPP
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Bushman - Herculean effort on your part! Kudos to you again for the undertaking.

A couple simple ones:
- trub
- airlock
- Raschig rings
It looks great and the hyperlinks are perfect!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Added with photo link to Rashig Rings.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Top Shelf : Loose term for high quality spirits.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

MoonBreath wrote:Top Shelf : Loose term for high quality spirits.
Also a company name for an illegal drug that is legally sold in Washington and Colorado but will add your definition as it is used a lot in our hobby.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

After the term Bead came up I decided to add some moonshine definitions listed below:
Blackpot
Cap I added a second definition to the term
Dropping the Bead
Flake Stand
Puke
Singlings
Worm
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just waiting for some more Gems from Goose Eye on the moonshine term so I can become more educated!