pepper fermentation

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hidalgo
Novice

pepper fermentation

Post by hidalgo »

So, I am trying a slightly different attempt at fermentatio. Last night I ground up 4 lbs of ghost, jalapeño, and salsa peppers. I added 4 tbs of smoked sea salt and stirred well. Right now it is sitting under my grill with a cheese clothes over it. Hopefully, it should start a lactic ferment soon.

Gonna let it sit for a while and ultimately through some heavily charred oak at it when the ferment stalls. Should be some seriously hot hot sauce.

I searched, no one has really discussed this since 2005. Figure I would document how this goes.
hidalgo
Novice

Re: pepper fermentation

Post by hidalgo »

Not much sign of fermentation, as of yet. I added 2 tbsp sugar. Just have to see where this goes. My anticipation is a long slow ferment. But, as I said, the end product should be wicked. May add in a head of garlic soon for base flavor.
Tater Patch Kid
Bootlegger

Post by Tater Patch Kid »

You forgot the Carolina reaper. Escapes me now how to ferment vegetables . Pickles and sourkraut come to mind, Hot Kimche
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I reckon that amount of salt will kill any chance of any alcoholic ferment. Let us know how it goes.
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

Been punching down the cap. Got a bit of white mold growing on top. Smells good, though, so I am not too worried. In fact the smell is so potent that I had to put it in a sealed container. The SOH was tired of walking by it it and coughing.

Gonna be out of town for a while, hope it doesn't get infected
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hidalgo wrote:Been punching down the cap. Got a bit of white mold growing on top. Smells good, though, so I am not too worried. In fact the smell is so potent that I had to put it in a sealed container. The SOH was tired of walking by it it and coughing.

Gonna be out of town for a while, hope it doesn't get infected
If you're going to be out of town for a while you'd better make sure your fermenter isn't sealed or you might come home to a wretched mess...!!! All of the CO2 produced needs to go somewhere and better to have it escape a little at a time rather than all at once by rupturing the fermenter...
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

"If you're going to be out of town for a while you'd better make sure your fermenter isn't sealed or you might come home to a wretched mess...!!! All of the CO2 produced needs to go somewhere and better to have it escape a little at a time rather than all at once by rupturing the fermenter..."

Damn fine time to read this, I am 1,000 miles away. Rad, this is one time I desperately hope you were wrong.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I was 300 miles away when my first rum painted our washhouse a lovely, but random, shade of brown.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Looking forward to updates. Loooove hot sauce.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

I will update later today, finally headed home from the "happiest place on earth". Haven't seen that may people so content to stand in line in a long time.
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

Update, the mash had formed a thin white film over it. Kinda funky smell, too. I know that the salinity has limited the types of bacteria, so I am not too worried.

Gonna let it set for one more week before I strain it and put it on oak.

Anyone want to weigh in?
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

And, since it is going to be a huge part of the flavor, anyone care to weigh in on what type of vinegar?

Maybe split it into different batches.