Riverboats

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Riverboats

Post by MoonBreath »

Oldschool riverboats come through Horseshoe Bend all year round pretty much.
Here's the Belle of Cincinnati, a smaller paddle boat than most.
The ole Mississippi Queen was a bad mofo.
IMG_20161019_154655-1-1.jpg
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Riverboats

Post by pfshine »

Funny enough we have one on lake Mead.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

pfshine wrote:Funny enough we have one on lake Mead.
Every time I see or hear"lake mead" I laugh and wonder how much honey it took to fill a lake with mead.
Jbt(easily amused)
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

One of my favorite cruises was one week on the Mississippi Queen from Memphis to New Orleans. Loved the River Lorain on board giving the history and some of the great sayings by people like Mark Twain.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Several years ago we drove to Ca. to attend the Great Train Expo in Sacramento. Had lunch on a big sternwheeler, which looked out of place since it was about 2,000 miles from Mississippi. After some Internet research I found out that this boat spent 15 years underwater and its sister ship steamed through the Panama Canal.

https://deltaking.com/our-history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Omnia mea mecum porto
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Headn thru town, drove by the riverfront and seen her docked and folks shoppn all downtown..
This one here is the Queen of the Mississippi ..
Pretty big as pictures don't do it much justice.
IMG_20170621_093837-1-1.jpg
Caught a train passn thru on the train trestle.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Got a couple of sternwheelers back home on the Murray river but most were side whackers. I had a bunch of photos on my phone but somehow all my photos got wiped. If anyone is interested I can take more when I get home as I know several blokes that own paddle steamers and have a couple of engineer friends that run them. As a kid I grew up to the sound of paddle steamer chugging up the river and very often could pick which one it was by the sound of the engine of whistle. I did see one salvaged from the riverbed and get rebuilt next to our building site so got to know the shipbuilders quite well. It was very interesting in my breaks to see them steam and bend the hull and rib timers, I doubt the methods have changed in 150 years. That boat was called the PS Phoebe. My first still was made from the plumbing of the wreck of the PS William Randall which I'm sure I have posted pictures of here. The wreck still lays sunk near my family property but I believe a replica has since been built of that iconic river ship. A large 3 story paddle boat the Murray River Queen is docked back home and in fact my father did quite a bit a of building work on it last year. Down stream a bit from us the Murray Princess stops and turns, this is a massive sternwheeler that has to drop its flues for the freeway bridges, I'm not sure how tall it is bit its big and can be heard miles off chopping the water. So homesick right now.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Never seen a side winder before, post em if you ever get a chance ..
Many days as a kid fishn down by that train bridge when the ole Mississippi Queen and the Delta Queen were headn upstream or down ..Fine memories indeed.
The Delta Queen beins the sister to the Delta King that contrahead was postn about, including the link.
Good story crow.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Some of the Murray River paddlesteamers are geared so that the paddlewheels are not on a fixed axle.
They can be operated in opposite directions to turn the boat 'on the spot'.

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

The Baker wrote:Some of the Murray River paddlesteamers are geared so that the paddlewheels are not on a fixed axle.
They can be operated in opposite directions to turn the boat 'on the spot'.Geoff
Yep most double siders are, I had a bunch of photos of the PS Industry with engine and gearing but lost em I can take more next time I head home if I catch hold of one of her crew.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Hello, in my neck of the woods? (Firth of Clyde) we have the last seagoing paddle steamer, the PS Waverley. Also have an an aluminium etching of PS Duchess of Hamilton.
Remember being out fishing in 11ft dinghy when Waverley came past at 18 knots+ had to head away from it and then cut back to cross the 2ft plus wake bow on, with a seagull 2.5 horse.
Great memories.
Will
Luceo Non Uro
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

And of course I can still remember PS Jeani Deans :shock:
Luceo Non Uro
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Moon, I took a ride on the Belle of Louisville...looser Ville and the General Jackson in New Orleans. I always wanted to take a trip on the delta Queen or Mississippi Queen, but never had the extra money.
Very cool old boats.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:Moon, I took a ride on the Belle of Louisville...looser Ville and the General Jackson in New Orleans. I always wanted to take a trip on the delta Queen or Mississippi Queen, but never had the extra money.
Very cool old boats.
Never been on one myself ..Now that I'm older I could kick myself. The Mississippi Queen was unbelievable from the outside ..Been in a pleasure boat up and down the river with it a few times.
A couple other big ones out there too, I'll try and catch them when they come thru.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

They used to have one on the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon, not sure if it is still running?
found the info:
https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompa ... n-empress/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Bushman wrote:They used to have one on the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon, not sure if it is still running?
found the info:
https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompa ... n-empress/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ran once or twice last year, no word yet about this year.

I favor the tall ships.
be water my friend
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Yep, the American Queen is around here somewhere, it comes thru a few times a yr, twice rite around Ky Derby time..Prolly the sibling to the American Empress. It's big too..Maybe the biggest.