Making benches, counters,etc

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Making benches, counters,etc

Post by Bushman »

First time I got a chance to use my Alaskan Chainsaw Mill. Made some planks that once they have a chance to dry to decide on a bench or counter for serving. The Washington State Department of Transportation drops these logs off and they are free to the public. Two days ago I bucked 1/2 a cord of wood and today cut the planks you see below.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Making benches, counters,etc

Post by bitter »

Nice,

Paint then with latex paint so they dry slower. This will reduce cracking. I noramlly do the whole board, but can get away with the ends in about 1 foot.

They will look nice once done!

B
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bitter wrote:Nice,

Paint then with latex paint so they dry slower. This will reduce cracking. I noramlly do the whole board, but can get away with the ends in about 1 foot.

They will look nice once done!

B
Thanks for the tip, I currently have the planks standing on end against an inner wall in my outbuilding. I've done a lot of woodworking but not much with new wood and it's preparation thus I will take any advice you have.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Typically they take 1 yeah per inch to dry unless its something like walnut and that can take over 2 years an inch.

Also make sure you have something under were the boards are standing to keep them up out of moisture. If they are sitting on concrete they will suck up moisture from it.

If you have a place you can stack it with 1" spacers and then put weight on it will help decrease any twisting and warping. If the piece you took were more quarter sawn (perfect center of the tree less the heart wood) they will be your most stable pieces.

For an older look.. cut all piece 5/4 thick instead of 1" to give about 1" once planed down.. and about 2 1/2 instead of 2" so once planed down are old school dimension

B
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

bitter wrote: If you have a place you can stack it with 1" spacers and then put weight on it will help decrease any twisting and warping.
Use lath boards. AKA " on the stick"
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I can't tell from the pictures what kind of wood your milling, but resinous or pitchy wood

needs to be well cured for furniture.
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

cob wrote:I can't tell from the pictures what kind of wood your milling, but resinous or pitchy wood

needs to be well cured for furniture.
There are several different tree types up there but the one I cut today was Hemlock.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Hemlock makes great beams for a building. Once dry can very hard to work.

B
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Blarney Stoned wrote:
bitter wrote: If you have a place you can stack it with 1" spacers and then put weight on it will help decrease any twisting and warping.
try to use the same species for your stickers.

I have seen tens of thousands of feet of maple sold as #3- when it started out as #1,

but someone used the wrong stickers and the stickers stained every board every 18" both sides

with a 1.5" stripe. they didn't find the mistake until after the boards were cured.
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cob wrote:
Blarney Stoned wrote:
try to use the same species for your stickers.

I have seen tens of thousands of feet of maple sold as #3- when it started out as #1,

but someone used the wrong stickers and the stickers stained every board every 18" both sides

with a 1.5" stripe. they didn't find the mistake until after the boards were cured.
Yep . Many ways to casually ruin a prime piece of wood .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

That made me almost shed a tear. My heart sank at the thought
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

cob wrote: try to use the same species for your stickers.

ABSOLUTELY !!!
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

bitter wrote:Hemlock makes great beams for a building. Once dry can very hard to work.

B
All the outbuildings on my neighbors farm are constructed from hemlock.

The older they become the more character the wood displays.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Glad I posted this as you guys have given great information to help me. Today I cut a few more planks and bucked up some more firewood. This is a great perk the Transportation department provides.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Has anyone used a vertical shaft lawn mower engine to power a Chainsaw Mill :?:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

shadylane wrote:Has anyone used a vertical shaft lawn mower engine to power a Chainsaw Mill :?:
Got any pictures or plans?
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

bitter wrote:Typically they take 1 yeah per inch to dry unless its something like walnut and that can take over 2 years an inch.

B
From any edge not the end. Agree with stacking with spacers- stickering - to minimize warping.

Jealous re: free wood.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Not only is it free but they cut all the limbs and drop the logs 2 minutes from my house in a area they put gravel down for easy access. Sign says take at your own risk not for commercial use.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Bushman wrote:
shadylane wrote:Has anyone used a vertical shaft lawn mower engine to power a Chainsaw Mill :?:
Got any pictures or plans?
I haven't seen it done yet :lol:

Edited, found this
http://petersonsawmills.com/products/dws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.lucasmill.com/Portable-Timbe ... bbing-Mill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/inde ... ic=80022.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofVUl9jGs3M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I knew Ken and Geoff Lucas at primary school.
Geoff invented the Lucas mill though people do steal the patent. His family still run the manufacturing business.
Geoff
The Baker
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I found a 16" planer on Craigslist about a hour away in Canada. Does anyone have knowledge about the Makita 2040 planer? Add says it is in excellent condition.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

if I were buying an old planer I would prefer a parks, davis & wells, ritter, or delta.

they are cast iron, rebuildable and will last a lifetime. having said that

that Makita 30? year old seams to have parts availablity and be more substantialy

built than the homeowner units they sell these days. the amount of use you expect

from it would be a factor, makitas parts pricing is another. the initial price must

be tempting. it appears they were made in 110 or 220. 220 being more efficient

if you have it readily available.

check the woodworker forums for more informed opinions, they seem to review well.

I try to remember when reading reviews that some folks love VW beetles and fiats. :wink:
be water my friend
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

When I was in highschool that is the planer they had. It worked well but was a little lacking in power for the abuse of a highschool.. Sharp knives and light cuts it will do well. It does not have anti snipe rollers (at least the one they had)

B
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks the reviews I saw were favorable, will check to see if it is 110 or 220. I have both in my out building.